PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel in Dutch Oven

Single Shot
08-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I posted ten squirrel recipes today.

These small fur-bearing animals have scent glands in the small of the back and under the forelegs and the thighs. These should be removed without cutting into them. The fat on the squirrel is usually very spare and most people do not object to its flavor or odor. Squirrel may be cooked successfully by all good recipes for chicken except that fat should be added to give the necessary rich flavor. Young tender squirrels can be fried, broiled, and roasted; older squirrels need to be simmered, fricasseed, or braised. Tasty squirrel meat is medium red in color, tender, and has a pleasing flavor. There is little gamey taste and only the oldest and toughest need parboiling.

Squirrel in Dutch Oven

Clean, dress, and cut up squirrels. Coat in mixture of flour, ginger, salt, and pepper. Brown of all sides in oil. Put browned squirrel in large, heavy DUTCH oven. Add 3/4 cup hot water; cover; and put in 325 degrees oven for 2 hours or until tender.

Or if camping, just bury in the oven in the coals for two hours, or until tender. A good Dutch Oven has a rim on the lid to hold the coals so you can lift the lid to check.

:castmine:

Bret4207
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Well done sir! My mouth waters at the thought of the coming fall. Of course I'll need to actually go out and hunt, and therein lies the sticking point. TIME!

44man
08-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Now you went and did it! I have to use up all my ink printing these. They look great.

Single Shot
08-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Well done sir! My mouth waters at the thought of the coming fall. Of course I'll need to actually go out and hunt, and therein lies the sticking point. TIME!

I'm retired so getting out is not a problem.

Having 6 squirrels feeding at the yard bird feeder is. And she still won't let me plink them.

ACK450
08-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey single shot: THANKS! I love squirrel, and your new/different recipes look good. I certainly will try them this fall. Squirrel tastes nothing like anything else
that I know of, and is excellent. ACK450

Single Shot
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey single shot: THANKS! I love squirrel, and your new/different recipes look good. I certainly will try them this fall. Squirrel tastes nothing like anything else
that I know of, and is excellent. ACK450

They do have a great flavor. one recipe I did not post is to (after the normal bleed out soaking)

Marinade them in brown sugar and little non iodized salt overnight then toss them into a smoker.

Come out as pink as a ham but still with a squirrel taste.

I even bought one of the little smokers sold at Dunham's that uses two Sterno cans as a heat source. This is perfect for about 3 squirrels.

EMC45
08-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I can't wait for the fall to come. I got the old lady a dutch oven yesterday at the Cracker Barrel. She made an explicit demand of no squirrel cooked in it.:( I will honor that. We do have a Crock pot and 2 simmer pots as well. I will definitely gun down some squirrel this year. And hopefully some bunnies.

Single Shot
08-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I can't wait for the fall to come. I got the old lady a dutch oven yesterday at the Cracker Barrel. She made an explicit demand of no squirrel cooked in it.:( I will honor that. We do have a Crock pot and 2 simmer pots as well. I will definitely gun down some squirrel this year. And hopefully some bunnies.

OK. now I have to post some bunny recipes.:drinks: