PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to buy a Master Caster. What 9mm and 40?

Wilson
02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Can anyone tell me which mold is working best for 9mm and 40/10mm? Ease of use, accuracy? We cast with wheel weights.
We currently use a Lee six cavity 125 grain mold that cast boolits that work well for Steel Challenge and USPSA shooting.
Thank you for your suggestions.

mktacop
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Can anyone tell me which mold is working best for 9mm and 40/10mm? Ease of use, accuracy? We cast with wheel weights.
We currently use a Lee six cavity 125 grain mold that cast boolits that work well for Steel Challenge and USPSA shooting.

Casting with a Master Caster is really pretty easy. I'd pick a mold that is the same style as the Lee mold you are already using, then you don't change anything but the method of casting

ReloaderFred
02-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Have you looked at the mold chart on Magma's website? It has tons of molds that will work well for your needs, in both bevel base and flat base. Just be aware that they, like everyone else in the business, are running behind on orders.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/bullet-molds/

Hope this helps.

Fred

seanhagerty
02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
I will buy your lee 6 banger when you upgrade......PM me if interested.

Sean

HATCH
02-27-2013, 06:53 AM

I got three magma molds in 9mm
I can cast you some of each and u can test them.
I got one mold for 40/10. its the 180 mold that had been hollowpointed.

Wilson
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes, I have looked at the Magma charts. That's why I was asking there's a lot to choose from!
I'll hang on to my Lee molds. I'll like redundancy and back up.
My goal is to get the machine automated like Hatch has done. My wife and I run a small junior shooter program. We've got kids shooting Steel Challenge and USPSA. We shoot 12-15 thousand rounds a years, mostly 9mm, some .38 and a few .40. We typically cast 15k of 9 and 2K of .38 and .40 in the winter, but this year we're trying to finish building a house and I have not cast one bullet yet! I've just been too tired to fit it in. I've been looking at the Master Caster for the last four years, but I can cast 1K and hour with the LEE 6 cavity so I've been unable to justify the unit based on hours casting, but if we can have the MC running while loading ammo on the Dillon, now that's a plus! I don’t know what the cost of automating the machine will be, but if we have to wait a while, I’m thinking a couple of the teen shooters can pull the MC for a while.
We've got all the parts wymanwinn listed to semi-automate the Starr so that’ll be a plus too. Skinny kids are good for loading tubes, but not so much for sizing. the air assist should make all the difference.
Hatch thank you for your offer. I would grateful for the 9mm and will pay for shipping and whatever else you need. I’ll PM you.
Thanks!

wymanwinn
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Skinny kids are good for loading tubes, but not so much for sizing. the air assist should make all the difference.

be VERY careful with the kids sizing bullets with the air assist.....

as ShootinFox2... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?167759-Stars-Bite!!!!&highlight=

wyman

Wilson
02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the head's up wyman. I do have the bullet feed set up, but I see the potential for problems if the boolets get out of place. I have a small needle nose pliers that we use if needed. I had not thought of punching through a finger! I can see it happening though and will exercise caution. Very good point.

Wilson
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Got the MC on order along with the 09-125 RRBB and the 10-180 FNBB. 6-8 week wait.