PDA

View Full Version : stripped military stock find

nekshot
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Last week I stripped two vz-24 stocks with tsp in water for the first time. Wow does that stuff work quickly or what! The complete stock is my sons project gun he is restoring(degreasing) and putting back together as a vintage military gun. I thought the curly wood in his was nice, especially since the hand guard looks like it came from the same curly piece of wood. The last stock was just laying around and I soaked that one first to learn before I did his. Very nice walnut and dark the whole way thru. I sure wish I could find walnut that looks like this nowadays. The first stock is stained with my home made walnut juice and then red oak stain and it has its first coat of blo.
nekshot

Ben
02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
A new lease on life for an old war horse.

Ben

TheGrimReaper
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
WOW, really brought it back to life. I am very impressed to say the least.

nekshot
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks fellas but could someone help me on this boiled linseed oil from Klean Strip. 35 years ago was the last I worked with blo from my dads inventory. He told me his had some dryer in it or it would never set up, so you rubbed on till your rag and wood got warm from rubbing then you repeated that about 15-30 times. This stuff is acting like tongue oil and I read the instructions (after 2 coats ) and it said put on for 10 min and rub off excess. It gets dry real quick, so how do you fellas use this stuff to get a nice oil finished look?

Ben
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm no fan of BLO.

This is a much better product in my opinion :

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-Satin-Wipe-On-Poly-Pint/dp/B000VZNF06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361920844&sr=8-1&keywords=wipe+on+poly

deces
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Very pretty. One question, did you try to steam the dents out?

nekshot
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
no dent removal and no sand paper. My son wanted all the battle character it has. He almost freaked out when he saw how bleached it was after soaking. He thought all we were doing was extracting the oil. I told him after I steel wool this baby and work some magic with the staining it will look aged. He is happy so far. I am not sure I am happy with the blo.

deces
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
no dent removal and no sand paper. My son wanted all the battle character it has. He almost freaked out when he saw how bleached it was after soaking. He thought all we were doing was extracting the oil. I told him after I steel wool this baby and work some magic with the staining it will look aged. He is happy so far. I am not sure I am happy with the blo.
Thats all that counts.

Agent1187
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Mighty pretty - I personally am a fan of boiled Linseed oil on woods.
It's certainly not the quickest, but it does pretty darn well. As long as you don't try to slather it on heavily, it dries evenly a nicely.
Some BLO's do have chemical dryers, but I've found the KleenStrip brand to be free from these.

Wayne Smith
02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
The "Boiled" in BLO means the addition of dryers. Raw linseed oil does not set up without them. Tung oil is much the same. Raw Tung oil stays liquid when exposed to air. Add dryers and it polmerizes.

The old rule for BLO furniture polish: Once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life. That was the rule for application.

msp2640
03-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Thinning BLO with mineral spirits 50/50 for a few initial coats helped, when I worked on a few Garand stocks a few years ago. The thinner finish seemed to penetrate deeper into the wood. I finished with a few coats that were 75 BLO/ 25 MS. Good luck with the stocks - Bill

nekshot
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all your input. I know one thing, the stuff I have is not the stuff my dad had but that was 40 years ago. The stock came out with a stunning deep rubbed look and we like it. I allowed the stock to get warm and it really took the blo in. After 6 coats I waxed it with jpw. Then rubbed real hard and long.it came out alot darker then I wanted but I know for the next one.

psychicrhino
03-30-2013, 01:00 AM
A really neat looking project.

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2013, 10:00 AM
The "Boiled" in BLO means the addition of dryers. Raw linseed oil does not set up without them. Tung oil is much the same. Raw Tung oil stays liquid when exposed to air. Add dryers and it polmerizes.

The old rule for BLO furniture polish: Once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year for life. That was the rule for application.

I heard that same repitation from a gunsmith about doing a BLO finish many years ago.Robert

TCLouis
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Tell more about the TSP and water stripping technique

twotoescharlie
03-30-2013, 12:27 PM
TSP is a emulsifier, it is used in food processing. it breaks down all of the oils,fats,and waxes so they will blend. It is used in making processed cheese. I worked at a food processing plant for 26 years, the dust will make you cough. also good for strippinf old wax frtom floors. known in the food industry as B salt.

TTC