PDA

View Full Version : Super tight bore, what are the options?

338RemUltraMag
02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I have a 1955 Winchester Model 70 and I just bought a NOE 311331 and found out it will not work. My bore slugs out at .307 and .297

What are my options here, NOE has a undersize 311331 with a bore ride of .299 but that is as far as I got. I have never dealt with an undersize bore before...

Thanks for the help

missionary5155
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Greetings
You might elaborate why it won't work.. What are the specs on the throat area ?
I would start by sizing the whole boolit to .309 or .308 and the nose to .299 or .300 if you have that sizer.
As you did not say what mix your using a softer mix should drop a bit less in diameter.
Mike in Peru

338RemUltraMag
02-26-2013, 11:43 PM
My throat isnt a problem it is the bore ride on my bullet, it sits at .301-.302 with AC COWW+2% Tin. I can place a .311 sized bullet in the case and that will chamber, my problem is the bore ride section of that long nose.

nanuk
03-02-2013, 05:23 AM
if it will chamber, then there should be no problems

a lead boolit will swage down easy, and the oversized boreride shouldn't make an issue.

I think "Bore Ride" is a misnomer, as the best accuracy, from what I have gathered is not one that rides ON the lands, but is actually engraved a bit by the lands.

best way to know is to try it, you may be surprised.

leadman
03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I shoot the Lyman 314299 with a >303" nose in a 30-06 that has a .300" bore with no problem and moa accuracy.

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2013, 02:21 AM
I agree with the conclusion, but, the bullets refuse to chamber. The bore ride of the bullet sits at .302 with my bore at .297 it does not want to engrave .005

tomme boy
03-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Email Tom @ Accurate Molds. Tell him what is going on. Order a mold that he helps you with.

Alan in Vermont
03-04-2013, 05:33 AM
My throat isnt a problem it is the bore ride on my bullet, it sits at .301-.302 with AC COWW+2% Tin. I can place a .311 sized bullet in the case and that will chamber, my problem is the bore ride section of that long nose.

And then three posts later;

I agree with the conclusion, but, the bullets refuse to chamber. The bore ride of the bullet sits at .302 with my bore at .297 it does not want to engrave .005

I don't know about anyone else but those two posts leave me a little confused. Are you seating the boolet backwards to get it to chamber re: the first quote?

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Allan,

The bore ride of the 220 gr cast will not allow me to chamber the cartridge, but if I place a 311-115 sized to .311 in a 30-06 case it will chamber just fine.

My problem is having a bore ride nose that wants to engrave .005

Is there any way to size noses?

tomme boy
03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Is this a factory barrel? Those measurements are for a tight bore barrel. If you have a picture of the writing on the barrel that would help to see if it was factory or not. Never heard of a tight bore factory barrel before. Some Parker Hale rifles came with them, but they were target barrels for shooting the British palma bullet.

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Is this a factory barrel? Those measurements are for a tight bore barrel. If you have a picture of the writing on the barrel that would help to see if it was factory or not. Never heard of a tight bore factory barrel before. Some Parker Hale rifles came with them, but they were target barrels for shooting the British palma bullet.

This is infact a Winchester barrel, it has all the markings for Winchester. It is a Featherweight pre 64 in about 95% condition.

truckjohn
03-08-2013, 05:52 PM
You can size down the nose - to try it out.... All you need is a sizing die in the size you want.... Just shove the bullet into the sizing die nose first and stop when you get to the driving bands.... Sometimes you gotta put a little oil or die lube wax on the nose so it comes back out smoothly...

This will at least tell you if your rifle would *Otherwise* shoot the bullet well.... It's kinda a pain in the rear on a larger scale... Probably not worth it if you plan to shoot more than a little bit.... The downside is that you do stand the chance of setting something in the bullet out of alignment - which would hurt accuracy.....

If it chambers and shoots well - go ahead and buy a properly sized mold.... and just know that the mold is ONLY good for that rifle...

Another option is to carefully chuck up a bullet in a drill and *Carefully* sand down the nose till it fits into your bore.... Once again - only good to prove the concept is valid (That it will chamber fine).. and test fire to check for leading... Accuracy is likely to be poor...

If you were a betting man... you could go buy a brand new Bona-fide Lyman mold on the assumption that everything they are cutting right now is running a little undersized....

Thanks