PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or Brass

happyhunter
02-26-2013, 01:35 PM
I am pretty new to this game. I have a couple Lyman steel molds and a MiHec brass. They all work pretty well. I see NOE uses a lot of aluminum. They would certainly weigh less, nice. What are the differences other than that?

Like I heard you need a higher lead temp to cast with an aluminum mold. I guess the Al is more thermally conductive and sinks the heat out of the lead. What other than that? A big question for me is can you hurt an Al mold by getting it too hot (think Al cylinder heads warp easier that iron).

Thanks,
HH

happyhunter
02-26-2013, 09:14 PM
I am looking at NOE as they actually have molds in stock. (I have had a Lyman on order for about a month now.... thinking of canceling it.)

Does the sprue plate cause wear on top of the mold?
Specific to the NOE: what brand of handle do they fit? I have a 2 and 4 cavity Lyman handle I could "borrow" from the mold it is holding now.

Thanks,
HH

Reload3006
02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I think you will be very pleased with NOE molds I own one and I own 4 MP molds and am on a group buy for another Both of those site vendors will provide you with a mold that Lyman can't even dream of providing and for close to the same cost.

I prefer brass as the metal is a bit tougher and holds heat better. But Aluminum has its benefits too such as IMO better bullet drop. If you follow NOEs instructions you will have a mold that you will be very proud of too

Now may I add that NOE also makes brass molds too.

and Lee commercial handles fit both MP and NOE molds.

runfiverun
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
i use a set of KAL handles designed for the lyman 4 cavity molds on my noe 4 cavity mold.
if you take care of your molds and lubricate the tops and pins the aluminum do just as well as any other type.
i cast at 675-f with both aluminum and steel molds i just go a little faster with the aluminum.

Errokk
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a Lee 6cav 124gr 9mm mold and a RCBS 2cav steel mold and both are great. The Lee seems to heat up much faster then the RCBS but both cast just fine.

MtGun44
02-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Aluminum machines easily, that is the big reason a manufacturer would use it.

The Lyman molds are cast iron, not steel.

Bill

JeffinNZ
02-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Can't fault either of my NOE alum. moulds but I just love the brass moulds I have from CBE.

cbrick
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
I am pretty new to this game. I have a couple Lyman steel molds and a MiHec brass. They all work pretty well. I see NOE uses a lot of aluminum. They would certainly weigh less, nice. What are the differences other than that?

Like I heard you need a higher lead temp to cast with an aluminum mold. I guess the Al is more thermally conductive and sinks the heat out of the lead. What other than that? A big question for me is can you hurt an Al mold by getting it too hot (think Al cylinder heads warp easier that iron). Thanks, HH

No, you don't need higher pot temps for an aluminum mold. It will both get up to temp quicker and cool faster than iron or brass, simply adjust your casting rythm. If your using tin in your alloy the pot should not be and doesn't need to be any hotter than 725.

Aluminum is softer and can be dinged up easier but reasonable care as with any precision tool should eliminate that. Normal casting temps won't hurt an aluminum mold.

Rick

**oneshot**
02-27-2013, 07:47 PM
I have Saeco steel and NOE aluminum molds. Both cast great boolits. I also cast faster with the alum to keep the heat, as soon as the sprue is cool. But with the steel I use two molds so production is really close.
I keep both types lubed with plate lube and no issues either way.

500MAG
02-27-2013, 07:51 PM
I have Lee, Lyman and as of last week NOE. The NOE is excellent.

fredj338
02-27-2013, 09:06 PM
A high end alum mold can be a joy to cast with. They are just a bit more fragile than iron or brass. Ilike them all, brass the least, they DO reuqire a high heat to keep running good bullets.

rintinglen
02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Your reject rate is almost always higher with an aluminum mold, lowest with a brass one. I like 5 and 6 cavity aluminum molds more for mass production, 4 cavity Iron molds for minimal rejection with fast production, and just about any brass mold for ease of casting. But brass molds do get heavy.

happyhunter
02-28-2013, 07:35 AM
A high end alum mold can be a joy to cast with. They are just a bit more fragile than iron or brass. Ilike them all, brass the least, they DO reuqire a high heat to keep running good bullets.

I have a brass from MiHec and notice the bullets come out frost while the ones from my Lyman at the same temp look fine....?

HH