PDA

View Full Version : Stop..stop.. Stop.. Stop....... Stop

dakotashooter2
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Look at what we are doing to ourselves!!!!!!! Panic is causing many to buy stuff they don't really need at the moment for twice it's value or more. GET A GRIP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong , there is some stuff on my want list I wish I had bought a few months ago but it is not stuff I NEED so I'm not going to pay current prices just to have it.

A good example is the rush to buy an AR.................Now many people have one and won't be able to shoot it because they can't get or afford ammo........The other side of this is many will extend themselves too far financially to get the stuff and will end up selling it for a loss when things settle down...........

COOL HEADS PREVAIL..................

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
It happens. Wether it be fuel, trucks, food, ammo, guns, etc.... I wish none of this ever happened, but I am powerless to stop it. Look at it this way, this is one huge economic stimulus!

chg
02-26-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree, it's foolish to go out, drive the prices up and supplies down based on fear of what might happen. Want to spend the money smart? Send half of it to the NRA, put the other half in your pocket. Write your Federal Senators and representative. Then email those in other states stating you do not want any more restrictions on firearms.

Kull
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I feel the same way. I'm not willing fork out the added markup for stuff I want just so I can have it now. Decided just to save money, write letters, and see what happens.

P.K.
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
"And this too will pass."

Keeping some $$$ stashed to the side for when stuff starts getting dumped on the web or yard sales.

Phoenix
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
The other side of this is many will extend themselves too far financially to get the stuff and will end up selling it for a loss when things settle down...........

This is exactly what IS going to happen. Most of the mon&pop gun shops are scared about this. The lull in their business caused by a glut of cheap stuff on craigslist etc will be long. And there isnt enough product to sell right now to make enough to weather that storm.

Phoenix
02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I agree, it's foolish to go out, drive the prices up and supplies down based on fear of what might happen. Want to spend the money smart? Send half of it to the NRA, put the other half in your pocket. Write your Federal Senators and representative. Then email those in other states stating you do not want any more restrictions on firearms.

You cannot blame the consumer for market prices. Some are panicking, Some actually do NEED what they are paying double for. If you are a competition shooter they are not cancelling competition because prices are high. LEOs need things. I know several people that run gun related youth programs that have Needs. and I know instructors whose livelihoods are based on shooting. People pay them for a class the ammo is included so they NEED it. Most of the above will pay any price to get what they NEED. Sure there are some out there that don't need what they are buying, But they are scared. They think if they don't they will never get it (outlawed etc) I don't blame anyone, Except maybe government for causing the scare. People can make blanket statements but in reality people who do have no idea what everyones reasoning is. Some people will not fix their truck when the cheap part if not available and drive something else. Others who only have one vehicle will pay whatever it takes to get the part they need.

The point is circumstances are different for everyone.

mdr8088
02-26-2013, 01:38 PM
You can't blame people for wanting to protect their family. There are people among them turning profit on this. I blame the true problem makers. One of them lives in the white house....

bbs70
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Several years ago ,after the primer scare prices came back down to normal prices, I attended a shooting match.
There were several vendors there selling shooting supplies.
I had to laugh, one vendor was selling WW primers for 32 a thousand, no problem.
BUT the guy right next to him was selling them for 45 a thousand and he had quite a few thousand of them.
Obviously he didn't sell many.
I can only assume from the amount of primers he had that he had bought them to make a huge profit on and got burned.

starmac
02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Those that need it for their living have always been buying a like amount, so that would have nothing to do with the currant shortage.
This is either new shooters/gun owners or, panic buyers, hoarders or some buying planning to make a profit. The one that gets me is the 22 shells, the threat of them being outlawed is nonexistent, yet they are usually the first to disappear off the shelves. I'm thinking it is because they are cheaper and folks can afford to hoard them easier than other more expensive rounds.
I do not shoot a lot compared to a lot of you guys and have enough of most everything to get through this scare. I don't have to shoot at all except for a few rounds during hunting (if I am lucky enough to need a round) so I will not be paying the high prices some are asking, at least for a few years.

oldred
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
The people in true need of these items are simply caught up in a situation they have little or no control over, the "shortage" is a direct result caused by panic buying, most of the stuff we can't get is being hoarded by people who bought far more than they would have otherwise based simply on panic. We can blame it on politicians or who ever we want but the real culprits are the people who "stocked up" while they could and I imagine that includes most of us. Those who took the attitude that they would not be part of this and did not participate in the panic buying did the right thing, the noble thing, and if everyone had of done the same we would not be facing this shortage but if they need something that's in short supply then doing the "right thing to do" means they are now doing without! It's a bad situation and the fact is there is no shortage of guns or ammo it's just sitting in storage doing the owners (the hoarders) no good and in the end is driving these ridiculous prices due to available supply and demand.

Phoenix
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Those that need it for their living have always been buying a like amount, so that would have nothing to do with the currant shortage.

Sure it does. I know alot of people that fall into that category. They are panic buying just like the rest. They fear they wont be able to get what they NEED later so they are stocking up. That is definitely contributing to the shortage. Me buying one box of 300wm the other day was still contributing. The point is panic has a cascading effect. One group panics and drives others that would not otherwise panic to do the same. Even me. I have a decent stock but if I saw legislation to ban reloading components I would buy whatever I could to further my stocks. When they banned lead based paint people that didn't need to paint their house bought 20 gallons of it. Because they could no longer buy it after. Everything that gets banned has a rush. Unless noone knows about it. The CPSC has a bad habit of just decreeing that something can no longer be sold before the announcement ever happens. When The old gas can that actually worked got banned. The stores were notified they were to no longer sell them and to send them back to the distributor. This was before any of us knew there were changes coming.

Phoenix
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
The people in true need of these items are simply caught up in a situation they have little or no control over, the "shortage" is a direct result caused by panic buying, most of the stuff we can't get is being hoarded by people who bought far more than they would have otherwise based simply on panic. We can blame it on politicians or who ever we want but the real culprits are the people who "stocked up" while they could and I imagine that includes most of us. Those who took the attitude that they would not be part of this and did not participate in the panic buying did the right thing, the noble thing, and if everyone had of done the same we would not be facing this shortage but if they need something that's in short supply then doing the "right thing to do" means they are now doing without! It's a bad situation and the fact is there is no shortage of guns or ammo it's just sitting in storage doing the owners (the hoarders) no good and in the end is driving these ridiculous prices due to available supply and demand.

Good luck changing this. It is human nature and even the most 'noble' will participate. Their threshold is just higher than others.

starmac
02-26-2013, 01:58 PM
In 1975 international quit building pickups, chevy had come out with the luv and ford had the courier. There was a rumor that everyone was going to quit building full size pickups. I know one guy that went and bought two new 76 chevy 4 wheel drive pickups and stored one in the barn. The last I knew that brand new chevy pickup was still in the barn.

oldred
02-26-2013, 02:11 PM
People like to place blame on someone else but every single one of us who picked up a single extra item, even if it's just a brick of 22 rf, because of the rumors of shortage have to face the fact that we contributed to the problem. Even these small "extra" items are a problem when multiplied by the thousands of people who do it and when we add the true hoarders and profiteers we have the problem we see today. The reason is unfounded panic and if it was not for that then we would have no problem, I know one guy who started hitting the stores looking for 22 lr 2 days after the school shooting when the "ban" talk started picking up steam on the news, he told me he got caught short the last time and this time he was going to stock up while he could, within a week had bought nearly 25,000 rds and the guy don't even shoot that much! This guy had come by my place to pick up a tractor carburetor I had rebuilt for him and as usual the talk got around to shooting and that's when he opened his car trunk to show me his last purchase of 11 bricks of 22 lr. I know this guy and he would not shoot that much 22 lr in 2 lifetimes but how many here know of others who have done the same? Fellas THAT is where the problem is and it's going to be a while I'm afraid, if ever, before it get's back to anything that even resembles normal as we knew it.

oldred
02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Good luck changing this. It is human nature and even the most 'noble' will participate. Their threshold is just higher than others.

Don't have any hopes of changing it nor was I suggesting even trying, just pointing out where the problem is.

joesig
02-26-2013, 05:26 PM
I think you're preaching to the choir dakotashooter2. I doubt any cast boolit shooters are contributing to the madness.

The only ones I feel for are the kids who just got a firearm for Christmas or a recent birthday but can't afford to shoot it now. Dry firing may be great practice but it sure isn't "fun"!

badgeredd
02-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Prices will come back down...probably not to the same level as they were before the craziness took hold, but they will come down. I'm looking at some of the prices being paid for some firearms and figure it is the time to unload a couple safe queens. I'll wait until the panic subsides to buy anything that has gone ridiculous.

After the last panic, I bought some match primers for less than regular primers. I suspect the fellow had over-stocked and simply wanted to get out from under. It'll happen again.

Edd

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
"And this too will pass."

Keeping some $$$ stashed to the side for when stuff starts getting dumped on the web or yard sales.

Back during Y2K...I was thinking (hoping) for the same thing...I was wanting one of those Generators that were selling like hotcakes ! I still have never seen a nice 1999 vintage generator at a garage sale :(
Jon

Blammer
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
It's a free country, let people buy what they want.

btroj
02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
If people want to buy at a higher price why should I care?
If you need ammo to make a living you should have been smart enough to see this comi and stock up.

Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

DLCTEX
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
So far I haven't bought anything at inflated prices due to stockpiling before the crunch and finding deals among friends and others. I bought almost six lbs.of 7828SSC powder at a bargain from a friend who no longer loaded for magnums. The same friend sold me LP primers for what he paid in the past. My son has paid an inflated price for bullets for his AR and a 6.5 Grendel he is building because of shortage. We may have to buy swage dies and start rolling our own. I did pay a little more for AR parts for a friend who got a late start in wanting one, but got most of them early enough to not be totally unreasonable, probably only almost double what it would have cost 6 months ago. You just have to evaluate the cost compared to your wants. When they get too high to be realistic demand will die down. Meanwhile they must be worth it as they are selling like hotcakes. I plan to take advantage of it by selling some unneeded items on auction sites.

johnnybar
02-26-2013, 06:12 PM
There's going to be some nice estate sales in the not too distant future. Pick the right sales and smile all the way home. Went to a moving auction 2 years ago and got this for $30. That's a 900 rd case of non-corrosive S&B 7.62x39 that's going for $450 these days. Be patient, buy what you need and don't waste it. Prices will recover.

LUBEDUDE
02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Don't need to Stop!

Haven't bought a thing.

Ain't got "Stoopid" on my forehead.

Wis. Tom
02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Hope you guys are right and the govt. goes back to loving us having guns and ammo, at our personal disposal, but if they don't and say, put through a $1 a round tax, alot of you are going to have a tough choice on whether to sell your lifetime stash, for a "gouging" profit, or just keep shooting as if nothing is happening. This is not like before, in my eyes, as no govt., that has survived, has printed money like ours, the last 10 years. This cannot last, just saying. What else would you suggest that people spend their greenbacks on, CD's and get .012% payback if you leave it in for 20 years? Hope you guys are right, and govt. just quits and goes home, as that would be great.

plmitch
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Well said Sir!

Alvarez Kelly
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
When I saw the prices a few specific reloading items were selling for... I decided to sell some of my personal reloading equipment. I have enough loaded rounds to last for a while... but I'll replace all the equipment with new items for less than 1/2 of what I sold the used stuff for!

I had recently offered powder funnels on this forum to anyone who wanted them for $11. I sold a few on Ebay for more than $25! One set of my .223 dies sold for more than 3 times suggested retail... Amazing...

I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

Gliden07
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
This is the one good thing about not having a lot of money to buy what I want when I want!! I just can't afford it!! LOL!!

Gliden07
02-26-2013, 09:25 PM
When I saw the prices a few specific reloading items were selling for... I decided to sell some of my personal reloading equipment. I have enough loaded rounds to last for a while... but I'll replace all the equipment with new items for less than 1/2 of what I sold the used stuff for!

I had recently offered powder funnels on this forum to anyone who wanted them for $11. I sold a few on Ebay for more than $25! One set of my .223 dies sold for more than 3 times suggested retail... Amazing...

I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

I wanted a shellplate for a LNL loader I had gotten for Christmas they normally sell from $25 to $40 each. The plate I wanted was on Ebay for $150 ++ with bids, it originally had a Buy it Now price of 225 without shipping!! For that kind of money you could have one machined!!

WILCO
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Ditto.

Errokk
02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Free enterprise and "supply and demand" will always be this way so long as people are human. Fear will push people to do many things they normally wouldn't do.

km101
02-26-2013, 10:28 PM
I felt that something like the current panic would happen after the last presidential election, so I stocked up prior to the panic. I have not bought anything but necessities since. I will not contribute to the panic, and I am sure thare are many more like me out there.
However we cannto control those that panic/impulse buy and trying to do so is foolish and frustrating at best. All we can do is let the panic run its course and resume normal life afterwards. As we have all seen and heard "You cant fix stupid." so dont wear yourself out trying.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I know what you're talking about Jon. I was waiting for one of those generators also. Never have seen one. I ended up buying a new one two years ago. I guess once you got it, you keep it.

badboyparamedic
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I guess I been lucky, LGS has been slow about getting stuff in but when they do prices arent any higher than normal and if you have been a good customer they still take care of you instead of selling everything they get to just anyone that walks in the door trying to buy out everything the store CAN get stocked on their shelves.

P.K.
02-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Back during Y2K...I was thinking (hoping) for the same thing...I was wanting one of those Generators that were selling like hotcakes ! I still have never seen a nice 1999 vintage generator at a garage sale :(
Jon

I was never able to locate one either, not the "vintage" you are referring to. More like bought new in 1999 and given to the BIL for his roofing biz. What I ended up looking at was a clapped out rebuild waiting to happen.

Now adays I'm thinking a little bigger, like an old 3( Kawasaki side by side) cylender diesel to run at idle and slave it to a three phase electric motor. ;-)

Lloyd Smale
02-27-2013, 06:39 AM
guess i agree with blammer and will add that who knows for sure if it will pass this time. remember back when the first ban was in effect and lasted for years. Guys probably laughed at people when they paid 500 bucks an once for gold too. Probably told them they were going to loose there buts when the price came back to reality. I havent bougth anything at in inflated price yet because i havent had too. I pretty much set on ars and on loading stuff. But it might come to a day when i too have to buck up and buy primers again.

TheGrimReaper
02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree, I am waiting on things to stabelize. I doubt they will go to where they where before. They didn't after the '08 election.

dakotashooter2
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
What is scary is, with the degree that this happening in a single segment of products can you imagine what it would be like for products that everyone wants or needs? If suddenly we couldn't get cell phones would the prices triple, quadruple or more for what was still available?

One thing I noticed the last several years was a gradual reduction of ammo stocks at most of the shops in this area. Shops that had always carried "cases" of ammo throughout the whole year gradually cut back so that except around hunting season the shelves were never more than about 1/2 full. I think that is also a contributor to our shortages. Ammo does not have a high profit margin and can tie up a lot of dollars in a hurry and I think many shops were forced to do this. There were not selling/ordering any less they were just stockpiling less. Less stockpiles mean a run on products cleans them out faster than they can resupply at their usual rate, and that transfers to the manufacturers who are now not only trying to fill their normal orders but get store stock back up to a normal level. What will happen as it did before is that when things settle down the stores will restock with their "increased" orders and initially there will be some buying but that will subside as manyor most people who now have excess supplies and a lot of money tied up will stop buying forcing the shops to eventually cut prices to increase sales and reduce inventory...........Thats when I bought last time and thats when I will buy again.................. I guess then I'll be the one taking advantage of someone..................

Phoenix
02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
It is far worse than most can imagine. If something really happened that made the entire population panic there would be NOTHING in any store in a matter of hours. The supply lines wouldn't last a few days. There could be total elimination of all stocks on necesities in less than a week. If everyone had even small stocks of necesities the runs would be a fraction as bad, but Most people that live in suburbia and urban areas have less than a weeks food in the house and most have NO water stored. It wouldn't take two weeks to start having deaths due to lack of water and unsanitary conditions. Imagine a major city with no water. How bad would it get in days. This entire event is a very MILD version of what would happen to everything in a serious event.

Have one of your children do a science project on the effects of panic on supply of products. The results would amaze you.

What is scary is, with the degree that this happening in a single segment of products can you imagine what it would be like for products that everyone wants or needs? If suddenly we couldn't get cell phones would the prices triple, quadruple or more for what was still available?

One thing I noticed the last several years was a gradual reduction of ammo stocks at most of the shops in this area. Shops that had always carried "cases" of ammo throughout the whole year gradually cut back so that except around hunting season the shelves were never more than about 1/2 full. I think that is also a contributor to our shortages. Ammo does not have a high profit margin and can tie up a lot of dollars in a hurry and I think many shops were forced to do this. There were not selling/ordering any less they were just stockpiling less. Less stockpiles mean a run on products cleans them out faster than they can resupply at their usual rate, and that transfers to the manufacturers who are now not only trying to fill their normal orders but get store stock back up to a normal level. What will happen as it did before is that when things settle down the stores will restock with their "increased" orders and initially there will be some buying but that will subside as manyor most people who now have excess supplies and a lot of money tied up will stop buying forcing the shops to eventually cut prices to increase sales and reduce inventory...........Thats when I bought last time and thats when I will buy again.................. I guess then I'll be the one taking advantage of someone..................

dakotashooter2
02-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I was just looking on gunbroker... 1000 Win small pistol primers... with a few minutes left.....$108 + $30 shipping and hazmat... Thats almost 14 cents PER primer.................INSANITY.................

ballcap
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Got ya beat Dakota, couple nights ago I saw a 1000 rd box of 9mm 115gr reloading bullets go for 599 plus 30 dolla shipping. 60 cents a round before you add primer, casing and powder.

Couple weeks ago, I woke on a Saturday morning and just googled small pistol primers for sale. It took me to Misdsouth's website. 19.99 per 1000 of Tula small pistol. Ordered 5000. Later that day I went back to Midsouth's site and the primers were not even listed. I thought *$#@ I happed on an outdated version of the site. Had to wait till Monday of course to call them, and believe it or not I guess I got the last batch. Never have shot a Tula primer in my life, but soon will.

I miss Hi Tech Ammo

destrux
02-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Jon
I laughed a little at that. I got one of those Y2K scare generators for free after it sat unused for a decade and was gummed up with gas. A can of Carb cleaner later it runs great.

That said, I am one of those people who decided to get into the AR game now. Not because there might be a ban and I might want one someday but because I've wanted one for years and just got the money now. About all I am guilty of is bad timing. I refused to pay inflated prices though so I was going to wait for this to calm down. Then this past Saturday I walked into my local gun shop to see about trading in my pistol on another pistol and there were four AR's on the rack. Three doublestars and a Colt. I got a doublestar for MSRP. I normally don't pay MSRP, but I knew better than to haggle. I got 100 rounds to test it with too, and traded my Star pistol for a KelTec PF9.

So like I said.... there is still stuff out there and people just need to be patient and buy from the right places.

millsa2
02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Stay on your Congressmans Butt about this and maybe it will be over soon.

Gliden07
03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Stay on your Congressmans Butt about this and maybe it will be over soon.

Hope your right!! Wish I shared your optimism!!

TXGunNut
03-01-2013, 02:02 AM
I find this latest panic amusing. I've been replenishing my stock of components over the last year and buying a few lbs of powder that interest me. I didn't even notice this panic until it was a few weeks old and decided to simply not participate. I considered selling off a few hundred rounds of .223 and even considered selling my ugly gun but decided against it. I even loaned 1K WLP primers to a buddy who got caught short in the middle of a loading project for a new toy.
I have considered moving my bulk .22's, powder and primers to my big safe, tho. :kidding:

dakotashooter2
03-01-2013, 10:40 AM
With the going rate on .22s I'm almosted temped to sell off most of my stash. I don't shoot it much anyway and could probably make enough money to buy a lever action to shoot .38s which I can load as cheap or cheaper than the current going rate on
.22s. ALMOST tempted..............................

Ford SD
03-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Well the Prices you are paying is OLD News to the prices In Canada

10 Years Ago was paying $19.99 for 1k WLP Primers

10 years ago was paying 19.99 for a lb of win powder

10 years ago was paying $17-21 for 100 pack of Hornady 308 rifle bullets

10 years ago was paying $19.99 for a brick of 22rf win wildcat

Now and the last little wile primers are $41 for 1k $4.50 per 100

powder is 31-33 for the common stuff

22 rim is $22-26 a brick

the special stuff is even more $$$

If you can find it--- in 5-6 months or a year from now, not sure what to think !!!

If it is in stock there has not been a noticiable increase in price but if it is out of stock Where does Canada get it from the USA

Bullets are $29 for the most common 150g 308g (plinkers i call them) hunting stuff is higher

opos
03-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Anyone need some bottled water and batteries from the Millenium?..I also got a supply of "Tickle Me Elmo" and Cabbage Patch dolls from the Christmas panics of a few years ago...oh yeah, some "Beanie Babies" from the big craze some years back..you tell some folks they "can't have it"...for whatever reason....valid or not...and they will damn sure find a way to have it no matter what it costs. Go to a garage sale or swap meet now and the $200 (made to sell for $20) Cabbage patch doll or Tickle me Elmo is dumped in the .25 bin with the Beanie babies, etc. It's human nature with some folks to want it all. Got a buddy that is disabled and not able to shoot more than maybe once a month....older man so not a "prepper" or such...he has thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo (some for calibers he no longer has) and is still buying at the inflated prices....Strictly his business and his money...it's just what he does....and just what lots of folks do. His comment is "what if there is never going to be any more?" Any way, I got about 30 cases of Millenium water if you need any...may not be any more you know.

oldred
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Got a buddy that is disabled and not able to shoot more than maybe once a month....older man so not a "prepper" or such...he has thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo (some for calibers he no longer has) and is still buying at the inflated prices....

I mentioned a similar case of such non-sense on another thread a couple of days ago. A guy I know spent a whole day out buying up 22 LR just as the panic rumors were starting, he managed to buy around 25,000 before the supply dried up. While 25,000 rds may not be hoarding for someone who uses a lot of this stuff that's not the case with this fella, he hunts very little (if any) and might occasionally target shoot but he is hardly what I would call a serious shooter or even sportsman for that matter. The bottom line is had the rumors and panic buying not started and 22 RFs had of become unobtainable for other reasons he probably would not have noticed for years- if ever! Now he is sitting on thousands of rds that he will never need and I have no doubt he would buy more if he could find them, the real problem is how many more people are there like the two we are talking about here?

P.K.
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
I mentioned a similar case of such non-sense on another thread a couple of days ago. A guy I know spent a whole day out buying up 22 LR just as the panic rumors were starting, he managed to buy around 25,000 before the supply dried up. While 25,000 rds may not be hoarding for someone who uses a lot of this stuff that's not the case with this fella, he hunts very little (if any) and might occasionally target shoot but he is hardly what I would call a serious shooter or even sportsman for that matter. The bottom line is had the rumors and panic buying not started and 22 RFs had of become unobtainable for other reasons he probably would not have noticed for years- if ever! Now he is sitting on thousands of rds that he will never need and I have no doubt he would buy more if he could find them, the real problem is how many more people are there like the two we are talking about here?

From your mouth to Gods ears, as it were. I don't think there is a person on this board that actually hopes the economy falls flat on it's face and social disorder becomes the norm but he's set from a barter point of view. If the dollar goes the way of the Reichs Mark during the Weimar(sp) Republic .22LR could be one of the new monetary standards.