PDA

View Full Version : Hog problem in South Texas?

DABULLMAN
02-26-2013, 01:16 AM
I Wanna shoot a couple of hogs(or maybe more) .. Any of u castboolits members have lots of land in this great state of TEXAS? i Live in the RGV(deep south Texas)and willing to travel to kills some of these pests. i have my own ATV in case u have to much land to cover. I will NOT bother ur deer or other big game i only want pigs or maybe even a havalina. i know this is a wild shot at finding a place for pigs but hey this is a really awsome forum so i will try. please let me know Thanks for reading...

DABULLMAN :cast_boolits:

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 04:43 AM
What you waiting on? Come on down.... er... up!
PM me.

johnnybar
02-26-2013, 05:10 AM
You might consider updating your profile. Moorehead is a long ways from RGV. lol

P.K.
02-26-2013, 06:27 AM
One of the MANY reasons for wanting to relocate, a freezer full of pork. ;-)

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 07:25 AM
My families freezers are stuffed to the brim. Now we are just going to shoot and dump. None of my friends want any more. One of my neighbors said he was going to have a birthday BBQ and I should come. I asked if he wanted any pigs for the Q. "Sure, all you got". He got a little slack jawed when I brought him 13 30 pounders. Then we worked on the house so long and were too worn out to go to the party. He said he had food for 500 people though.

johnnybar
02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
My families freezers are stuffed to the brim. Now we are just going to shoot and dump. None of my friends want any more. One of my neighbors said he was going to have a birthday BBQ and I should come. I asked if he wanted any pigs for the Q. "Sure, all you got". He got a little slack jawed when I brought him 13 30 pounders. Then we worked on the house so long and were too worn out to go to the party. He said he had food for 500 people though.No wonder you are inviting more guns to town! You need their digestive tracts!

Charlie Two Tracks
02-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Up North here, we don't have any wild hogs. That does sound like a great time though. It would cost a fortune to fill the freezer with pork. Do they taste like domestic hogs? All the bacon and ham you would want...................

DABULLMAN
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
wow..good results....the reason i dont update my profile is i spend more time in Moorhead, MN. i work form April to October up there and spend my winters in south Texas. x101airborne pm on the way...

DABULLMAN
02-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Mmmmmmmm...... Bacon

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
If you select the ones that aren't rutting, they taste great. During the fall, they have a mild pecan / acorn taste to the meat and in the spring they have an onion flavor. They are what they eat. Hams work pretty well brined but the bacon is extra lean. Just not much there.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
No wonder you are inviting more guns to town! You need their digestive tracts!

Heck, I don't care about eating em, I need more people to circle the wagons. If I cant get ahead, I will be overrun shortly.

btroj
02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Road trip?

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Road trip?

Bring it.

P.K.
02-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Road trip?

The Cast Boolits Hog Hunt.....Has a nice ring to it....End of May first week in June, I'd have to wait for the boy to get out of school.

Sweetpea
02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Now this sounds like some serious fun in the making!

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Last year I auctioned off and donated the proceeds for a hog hunt to the site.
Lemme see if I can find the thread and I will post a link. It was a HECK of a good time.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Last year I auctioned off and donated the proceeds for a hog hunt to the site.
Lemme see if I can find the thread and I will post a link. It was a HECK of a good time.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?140317-First-ANNUAL-Cast-Boolits-Hog-Hunt&highlight=cast+boolits+hog+hunt

km101
02-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Heck, I don't care about eating em, I need more people to circle the wagons. If I cant get ahead, I will be overrun shortly.

If you are relying on hunting to control them, you will be overrun anyway! We finally had to resort to poison in E. Texas. They are such prolific breeders that hunting just makes a dent in the population. We did not get a corn crop for two years despite hunting them, and multiple replantings of the corn. And when you cut down on the herd size, they dont stay gone, you will have to repeat each year. Great if you are looking for recreation, but bad if you are trying to feed cows!

Go get 'em boys! They're fun to hunt, especially with dogs. And they're not bad eatin' either. Just wish there weren't so many in some areas!

olaf455
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
We northern folk don't get to hunt hogs up here... We have a great time with whitetails though. While not as prolific as hogs, we usually can buy as many deer tags as we want. $12 each, and when the herd is quite thick they are $2 each...
Some buddies of mine and I have been itching to go south after hogs.

Bad Water Bill
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
i hunted
We northern folk don't get to hunt hogs up here... We have a great time with whitetails though. While not as prolific as hogs, we usually can buy as many deer tags as we want. $12 each, and when the herd is quite thick they are $2 each...
Some buddies of mine and I have been itching to go south after hogs.

Can I come and play in your yard?:)

Years ago I hunted Every year as a non resident and in 7 years saw 1 doe. I thought she was the only deer left in the county so she walked away.

Now I just visit a zoo to see deer. Much more affordable for an OLD man.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
i hunted

Can I come and play in your yard?:)

Years ago I hunted Every year as a non resident and in 7 years saw 1 doe. I thought she was the only deer left in the county so she walked away.

Now I just visit a zoo to see deer. Much more affordable for an OLD man.

YOU, Sir, have a golden invitation. Any time, any way. I will make time for you to come hunt. Come to find out, if I remember the regs correctly (and someone may want to double check me) TxPW has changed the license requirements for non residents to hunt wild hogs. No license needed if hunting on private property with the consent of the owner. It is not much, but saves you 60.00 or so on top of it all.

Bad Water, all I can think about is your bear and I still get misty. That was a dang fine thing you did that you didn't have to and I salute you, Sir.
Can I get a hug? Seriously. I want a hug.
And you can bring your mule, also. I love animals.
Trey

Down South
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
For eating, the boars are the ones I discard. The sows and pigs are good eating. One thing you can do if you want better pork is to set live traps. That's usually four panels with a trap door in one of the panels. Folks that I know used to trap them, feed them on corn for a while then butcher them.

I was on another forum the other day viewing a hog thread. They were discussing what caliber cannon was needed to kill one. I sort of chuckled when I got to thinking back. I've killed them with 22 rim fire, 12 ga shotgun with #6 shot at close range, the 9mm pistol that I used to carry, deer rifles but mostly a bow. I've killed more hogs from an elevated tree stand while deer hunting with a bow than any other way. I've let a lot walk too.
The biggest we ever killed was 380 lbs. We killed it with a 4-wheeler and a pocket knife. It was a big old bar with huge tusks.

The new "Thing" around the house now is to rope them from horseback and kill them with a knife. That's a little much for me. Of course, a few good hog dogs assistance is needed.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Down South....
Absolutely. A cannon is not needed. BUT.... LOL a Cannon isn't a bad place to start! Just joking.

I have had some that I shot while stalking squirrel with a 22lr. And I have had some take 3 or 4 shots from a 30-30 to put down. Shot placement is key of course and only once did I have one that I walked up on want to eat me. That was a sow with piglets. And, I cant blame her. An intruder in my house would get the same welcome. But in the end, I would like to come out on top and to ensure that, I would like the biggest, baddest thing I could get in my hands at the time. From a rock to a 25mm vulcan. But on average, it does not take a cannon to kill the average hog. And I have drowned one, stabbed a few hundred, and shot a few thousand.
It is all fun though. We have a problem and it takes some out of the box thinking to solve it.

DABULLMAN
02-26-2013, 04:20 PM
sounds like my new 300blkout build wants to go with me... i would like to try some long range hogs, spot them, range them, shoot them...lol

sundog
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Daughter and SIL have a small place SW of Floresville. Next time I get down there let's plan a hunt, or at least a FTF over an RC Cola, or somthin'.

Katya Mullethov
02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
TxPW has changed the license requirements for non residents to hunt wild hogs.

Bill would be there solely as a "consultant" anyway .... Let me know when it happens , as I owe him a bucket of mixed gizzards and livers with a little extra sodium .

Charley
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I've got a place up in Real County, Edward's Plateau country. I see hog sign occasionally, but have never seen one on my place in the flesh.
Happy about it, too! Damn things tear up EVERYTHING!

DLCTEX
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I find feeding wild hogs to be an exercise in futility as they gain weight very slowly and do not put on fat like domesticated hogs. I find the naturally fed hog to be excellent eating and see no need to wait. The domestic hog gains weight ideally at 2 lbs. feed to 1 lb. gain. The wild hog will not even come close.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Daughter and SIL have a small place SW of Floresville. Next time I get down there let's plan a hunt, or at least a FTF over an RC Cola, or somthin'.

heck yeah! Lets do that! I imagine I could find a feeder for you to watch for a while.

x101airborne
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Bill would be there solely as a "consultant" anyway .... Let me know when it happens , as I owe him a bucket of mixed gizzards and livers with a little extra sodium .

Lord I could chew on some gizzards right now. A big ole plate of em with a pickle and a beer. And fry em extra crunchy.