PDA

View Full Version : New 4500 on the way.

JeffinNZ
08-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Finally went soft and ordered a brand you Lyman 4500 lubesizer with a heating element. My long suffering Lyman 45 I picked up at the Creekside Gun Shop, Up State New York in '95 while visiting the USA, can now be retired (read: on sold). The old 45 still works just great but I want/need to bump the odd bullet a thou or 3 and the 45 is a bit modest in build for that work I consider. Not that I am going to over stress the 4500 mind.

Tried to order from Midway but they wouldn't export. Buffalo Arms didn't have a 220V model so I went with my old standby for all my muzzleloaders bits.......Track of the Wolk. Not the cheapest but the ship to NZ and get it done real quick.

fatnhappy
08-05-2007, 08:25 AM
wow, small world.
Creekside Gun Shop went under some time around 98 or 99 if memory serves. The handwriting was on the wall when they started charging range fees and ended the "shoot it before you buy" policy.
Unfortunately their gunsmithing work went in the toilet when Doug Turnbull left. They ruined my brother in law's Colt delta elite trying to install an ambidextrous safety and screwed up a scope installation on my Ithaca deerslayer. I heard other horror stories.

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

JeffinNZ
08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I heard that. We were staying in Ithaca (my friend was finishing up at Cornell) and we were heading for Niagara for a look see. Anyways, I am driving down the road being mindful to stay on the right hand side (we drive left here) when my non shooting navigator points to the sign. Well it would have been rude not go and look and what a novelty a couple of Kiwi boys were in the NY gun shop I can tell you!

kodiak1
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Jeff now you will have to snoop on the Carbinetree website and get the ALF adaptor they work fantastic on the Lymans.
ALF - Auto Lube Feed
Ken.

JeffinNZ
08-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Well my new toy is here now and installed. The heating element/probe is a very "cool" idea and will be useful in my sub Antarctic garage during these winter months. BBBRRRR.

Was a little suprised at the 'rough and ready' casting and finishing. Nothing majorly wrong but just not what I expected from Lyman. Still, in fairness, it does the job and that's all that matters I guess.:coffee:

It has certainly come a long way from the Lyman 45 it is replacing anyways!