PDA

View Full Version : Lube Question for molds

mrblue
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
So Im looking at maybe casting a few of these so called boolits tonight for my first try. I know i need to lube the sprue plate and the pins. The only lube i got on hand is lyman orange lube. IS it safe to try this out? Also where is the bull sprue page and how much does that stuff cost? Thanks

Bullshop
02-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Try the link at the bottom

turmech
02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Bull Plate and Zip lube are sold here if that is what you are referring to. There is a section labeled vendor sponsors near the bottom of the main page. It is rather inexpensive and last a long time. You will most likely spill it before using it up. Seems to be the reoccurring theme anyway.

I can't say about the Lyman lube for sure but I don't think it will work well.

I use both Zip lube and Bull Plate the same way. I preheat the mold. Fill the cavities(this is important as you don't want the lube in the cavities). Put a small amount on the top of the mold blocks and under the sprue plate with a Q-tip. Open the mold and put a small amount on the aliment points. Repeat every so often to the mold block tops. That is how I do it anyway.

MtGun44
02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Bull plate lube is highly recommended, from BullShop. The boolit lube will work,
sort of but will burn on and leave a nasty stain and mess. Order Bull plate ASAP,
use the orange stuff to lube boolits, and only rarely the mold. Consider it for
emergency use only.

Bill

williamwaco
02-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Lyman Orange will work.

Nowhere near as good as Bull Plate.

You can also use bees wax.

When using one of these on a temporary basis I cannot over emphasize the importance of using a VERY SMALL amount and you MUST be sure that none of it gets into the cavities.

Apply it to the sprue plate screw after the mold is hot. I apply it to the joint between the top of the plate and the screw body.

Very small amount means a blob about this big . on the tip of a tooth pick.

MBuechle
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
I use turbine engine oil, it seems to hold up to heat better than bullplate. Some guys use full synthetic 2 stroke oil too.
Where you at in MI?

runfiverun
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
i wanna hear what william has to say about it....:lol:
i use anti-sieze or two stroke oil cause i have it.

mrblue
03-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Im up in the thumb area

warf73
03-01-2013, 04:37 AM
I use 2 stroke oil also with no issue and on both brass and alum molds.

TXBRILL
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
2 stroke oil for me, I check that the cap is titght give it a couple of shakes, take the cap off and use the oil in the cap on a qtip, a little gous a long way

williamwaco
03-01-2013, 08:37 PM
i wanna hear what william has to say about it....:lol:
i use anti-sieze or two stroke oil cause i have it.

How the deuce did I make three copies of that post?

I have used copper based anti-sieze too.

It worked very well but it was hard to apply because it doesn't penetrate into the joints. Unfortunately, I misplaced the tube.

I have never tried the others.

I have a lifetime supply of bull plate, When I lose or spill that bottle, I will probably try the two stroke oil because I live about 6 blocks from Auto Zone.