PDA

View Full Version : Midway Catalogs

45-70 Chevroner
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I called Midway this morning, to order a new Master Catalog. The sales associate said that they are no longer making offering the big catalog. He also said that the only catalog is the monthly flier. I wounder how this is going to effect thier sales. Has anyone else heard about this?

Tatume
02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
I suspect very few people actually use the printed catalogs; so many prefer online shopping. I know I don't even have room for it on my desk, and just throw them away. Considering the expense of printing and mailing the catalogs, I'm surprised they didn't eliminate them sooner than now.

turmech
02-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Now that you mention it I have not received a master catalog from Midway in some time. May be I am old school but I prefer getting a catalog. I do order online but prefer to browse the catalog and enter the item # on the website.

You can still get a catalog from Grafs. It is however not as extensive as the old Midway master catalog. I would say if you want a catalog and they don't offer one try and see if another retailer would like your business and suit your needs. I always ordered from Midway but now that I found Grafs I don't nearly as much. No offense to Midway but there shipping prices seem high.

Hardcast416taylor
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
I called them last year about not getting a master catalog. Was told the same thing you were told, however since they had a small supply already printed they would mail one. Probably won`t see another master come in the mail from them again.Robert

DxieLandMan
02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
I asked the same thing and was told the same thing. Granted it must be cheaper but I'd rather have something in my hands that I can read or browse through w/o having to do it on a computer.

BruceB
02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
In the current climate, WHY would they print a catalog that is essentially out-of-date before it's mailed?

They can NOT count on items being available for sale.

They can NOT guarantee prices if the items ARE delivered in a timely manner.

They can NOT forecast what items may or may not even be legal, with the politicians passing all manner of stupid restrictions.

WHY even try to print a catalog?

dragon813gt
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I like looking at hard print when trying to find items just as much as others. But printed catalogs are basically Dodos at this point. Everything has switched to being online. Usually with actual stock and prices. I barely use a computer and do most things on my phone. This is just how things are and they aren't going back to the old way.

Ben
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
It is a digital, electronic world.............whether we like it or not !

Good bye paper.........

turmech
02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Not to argue with anyone as I completely understand them not printing a catalog. Such as keeping cost down, prices and availability changes and more and more it is the computer age.

Then again I routinely use an old midway master catalog for item numbers and they are still current in the computers inventory. I sometime can't find it online but I can in the catalog (not sure what key words to search and searches bring up many unrelated items). Cabelas still send a very nice hard cover catalog. A company such as Midway has every right not to print catalogs, but if it were my company I would have them available. If I no longer mast mailed them I would have them for when they were requested.

sig2009
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
I stopped buyin from them years ago!

Gtek
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
The wife will like it, less in the stack in the porcelain library. Gtek

phaessler
02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Now this is interesting especially after reading Potterfield's "status of the industry" email, has he been under a rock? I think every major supplier adressed this months ago.

alamogunr
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Maybe with the money saved they will improve their website. That has to be the hardest, most user-unfriendly site on the internet.

Tatume
02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Maybe with the money saved they will improve their website. That has to be the hardest, most user-unfriendly site on the internet.

+1 The search engine at Midway is awful. You can find what you want, but you will get tons of other stuff as well, and have to wade through them all. The Brownells search engine is much better, as it has the ability to search again within the results of the previous search.

DLCTEX
02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I had just comment to my wife that I hadn't received a catalog in a while. Lowes has the worst on-line catalog I've seen. I do have problems negotiating Midway's site.

45-70 Chevroner
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I guess I "am" old school. I used to love to look through catalogs sitting in the little building with the little cut out cressent moon over the door. I still do sitting on the porcelin throne.

John Guedry
02-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm old school,like the paper ones better.However my little bit of business won't make or break anybody.

Walter Laich
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM

+1 not user friendly at all

BruceB
02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Hope I didn't give a wrong impression. I too enjoy the paper catalogs a great deal...I'd take 'em to work, to the throne room, to the kitchen table... almost anywhere.

And YES....that Midway website must be costing them a lot of lost business when customers just give up and go elsewhere.

plainsman456
02-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Just the thought of taking the laptop into the bathroom.:sad:

It just does not seem right.

Mal Paso
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will hang on to the ones I have. Sometimes gun parts or tools are organized better in the catalog. By manufacturer, gun type, and in sections. A lot of the info will be good for a while.

detox
02-25-2013, 11:31 PM

I agree, but if you type in the manufacturers part number this will take you strait there. Their real time inventory is user friendly and with quick order tracking shipping...only $4.95 with smaller items.

Midway used to send out discount codes. What happened to the discount codes? Borderline price gouging

badbob454
02-25-2013, 11:35 PM

seconds on that hard to look stuff up

DeanWinchester
02-25-2013, 11:41 PM
I certainly did enjoy their catalog, it kept me company for many a.........movement. Guess I have to rule from my porcelain throne with my iPad/wifi.

detox
02-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Regardless Ceramic or Porceline Throne? The Midway book did help make the slide more enjoyable.

1stSkink
02-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Agreed! I had a $100 gift card to midway and spent about two hrs navigating their website. Very slow and not user-friendly. Went I went enter the gift card numbers, the site kept leaving the card credit off the final invoice.

Btw, I like having a catalog as well. I know the prices are subject to change, but I like seeing all the items at once to compare them.

Oh well...

captaint
02-26-2013, 10:09 AM
While I completely understand Midway not printing that Master Catalog, it was a thing to behold. Brownells has a good one too. I enjoy just opening them up once in a while. I'll have to keep the ones I have. Mike

TheGrimReaper
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Yea, I don't use the catalog I just go online.

alamogunr
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I guess I'll keep the Midway catalog next to the Herter's catalog that I had to buy on Ebay. Back when I had a Herter's catalog I thought they would be around forever so I didn't keep them.

Hardcast416taylor
02-26-2013, 03:21 PM
At least back in the old days of the little building out back we had the Sears & Roebuck catalogs. These catalogs had toilet paper every other page and regular catalog ads on the other pages. The slick paper of Midways catalog isn`t much good for the final step in the privy, John Wayne toilet paper it ain`t.Robert

DeanWinchester
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
At least back in the old days of the little building out back we had the Sears & Roebuck catalogs. These catalogs had toilet paper every other page and regular catalog ads on the other pages. The slick paper of Midways catalog isn`t much good for the final step in the privy, John Wayne toilet paper it ain`t.Robert

Save the Cheaper than dirt catalogs for that. Wiping my a££ on them is all they're good for.