PDA

View Full Version : Modifications to Lyman Turret

bear67
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Was raining the other day and I was changing the turret on my Lyman--I like to leave dies set up and change turrets. I often have 2 sets of dies on a turret, but they are hard to store with the dies because you can break the decaping pins. I looked in the scrap bin and found a mounting plate for "something". I drilled out the center hole, cut a 5/8 bolt to fit and put a set screw to hold it in. A 5/8 X 11 nut serves as a stop for the turret to sit on. For you non metal workers, you could use wood and countersink the bolt on the bottom of the wood base or use a carriage bolt and pull it into the block. Sure helps to store turrets and dies off of the press.

Next project: Only one of my 3 turrets had handles from Lyman, one had no holes to add handles and one had holes but they were not tapped. I drilled out to tap for 7/16 USS thread and built 2 sets of handles--again using scrap in the bin. I had some 3/4" stock that was already knurled, so I cut it and shaped it on the lathe, drilled a blind hole in the end and tapped it for the threaded rod used as a shaft. The other handles were just some brass rod sitting in the parts bin.623926239362394

LUBEDUDE
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Very nice Bear.

I especially like the handles!

44Vaquero
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Good job, very clever! +1 for working from the scrap bin.

bear67
02-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys, I really like to use something that would have been thrown away otherwise. The increases in scrap prices on all metals means it is harder to pick up great "stuff" anymore.

On my desk is a cartoon clipped out of Successful Farming magazine and glued on walnut. It is a farmer standing in front of his shop and there is a lady standing there dressed up and driving a car with EPA on the doors and the farmer's comment is "Lady, this is not an environmental abmomination, it's my spare parts repository.

Having farmed and running construction equipment and welding/fab shops all my working life, I resemble the remarks of the farmer in the cartoon. I would scan the cartoon and post it, but can not find it under the mountains of paper on my desk.