PDA

View Full Version : Mold guide for Lee bottom pour pot

bear67
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I have been casting with a pot and ladle since 1960, but I am getting older and the old hands are not as steady as they once were. I spent some of my mad money on a 20 # Lee 220V bottom pour pot. Getting my bifocals, hands, arms, molds and all in cahoots was not always working.
Hince, the mold guide. I just used some scrap steel laying in the "spare parts repository" and built one for the Lee molds first.It is round and can be rotated to line up with the spout. I built a stop by drilling and tapping a hole in the slide plate of the guide and using a square head bolt as a stop. If it does not line up perfectly, you can add a little weld metal and file to fit or file extra off. I push the mold until it hits the stop and it lines up with the sprue plate hole closest to your hand then you can just pull it out to line up with the outside hole. I just remove the stop to use the 6 hole molds. Square rods serve as the side guides.

When this proved to work as I wanted, I built a separate guide for Lyman molds as they are higher. I have stops for 2 and 4 hole molds on the Lyman guide. My bases were solid steel "donuts" but you could use almost any steel for the base (3" channel iron would have worked well), but the round guide rests touching the rods that hold up the pot and you can just rotate until your guide lines up. Sure makes it easier for an old man to cast for a longer period with becoming fatigued.

Bo1
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Cool idea.... I like it...

Salmon-boy
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Nice!!

Mal Paso
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
You sure they're strong enough? You have to calculate for the weight of the boolits and sprues as well as the mold. [smilie=l:

bear67
02-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Have to use what is in my "spare parts repository." I will not admit to being tight, but I squeak when I walk. Best thing is it works and I have cast 1500 or so using them so far. Next lifetime, I will build one to work with all my molds.

Mal Paso
02-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Very creative! I like the indexing and the fact they are so heavy no further attachment is necessary but they have to be the world's strongest boolit mold guides.

Jailer
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Sure beats my wood block screwed on from the bottom.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Did you not like the stock Lee guide? I see it's still on your pot. I'm not in love with mine but it's adjustable and works. Yours looks much better though.

bear67
02-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I could sort of get the stock guide to work on 1, and 2 cavity molds, but 4 and 6 were not working out for me. I am not as steady in my hands as when I was 21 or even 50. I ladle cast for 50+ years, but now get shaky after an hour or so. The blocks work for what I do and my cost was zero.