PDA

View Full Version : Making the size/decapping die larger..

oldfart1956
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Fellers let me put this in order so it makes sense. I own one 45/70, (1884 Trapdoor) have no intention of buying another 45/70 and don't reload for anyone else. After firing in the Trapdoor them cases are a perfect fit for my gun. Running them thru the RCBS sizer/de-capping/de-priming die (call it what you want) sizes them back to factory specs. Then I have to expand the throat of the case back up to fit the .462 boolits. There's a whole lotta work being done to that brass that doesn't need to be done. And if they start splittin' them boogers is expensive. I'm using very modest loads even for trapdoor loads so really want to avoid annealing or overworking the brass needlessly. So I thought about just neck sizing by short stroking the case in the die. Doesn't work. It's downsizing the brass as soon as it enters the die. I thought about the Lee Collet Neck Sizers. They don't come in 45/70. I tried just flaring the case neck enough to admit the boolit. Won't work. The boolit drops in the case...no neck tension. I want neck tension. Someone said "try running it just a smidge up into a .45ACP die." Won't work. That sized the necks way too small. (I only went in 1/2 inch) This is the only rifle I reload for so I don't have a bunch'a other rifle dies laying around to try. Now I'm looking at the RCBS die and wondering...what if I hone it out with a brake hone? Is it just a gradual taper from base to throat inside the die? Or does it downsize rapidly up in the throat area of the die?? I lay a straight edge inside the stripped down die and it appears just a gradual taper from base to throat but I may be wrong. I did the same with a sized case and again it appers to be just a gradual taper. I don't care if the modified die even contacts the brass...except enough in the throat to allow neck tension once expanded for the .462 boolits. Or am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill and should just re-size as usual with the die as is? For those inquireing minds...yes...a brake hone will fit inside the die. I even modified it so it fits inside a .44mag chamber to hone the chamber throats a whisker. Well inform me my friends. Audie...the pondering Oldfart..

JMtoolman
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Audie, your trying to do the right thing, but doing it in reverse. What you really need to do is size your bullets to just be a press fit with your thumb into the case mouth, before you size the case. Measure the fired case mouth, and size your bullets about a half thousands bigger. If your cases are chamfered smoothly you should be able to seat the bullet. For a trapdoor cases don't need to be sized or crimped on the bullet. If you paper patch the bullet you can hone out a lee push through sizer to be just the right size. You can generally shoot the brass a half dozen times before they become a bit hard to chamber. Then just a small amount of sizeing will return them to a size that will chamber easy. Best regards, the toolman.

r1kk1
02-25-2013, 12:03 PM
It is a gradual taper.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/45-70%20Government.pdf

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/bp_cartridge_reloading_dick_trenk.htm

I believe you can send the die plus a couple pieces of fired brass to RCBS to have them open the die for you. I believe a person could hone a die themselves.

My neck sizing die from Lyman sizes necks too tight for one of my guns and I had CH4D make another one albeit larger.

Take care

r1kk1

oldfart1956
02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Gents thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'll ponder it a bit more and bookmarked the excellent read from bpcr for tommorrows reading. I hadn't considered the option of going larger in boolit dia. as I'm presently casting .462 for a .461 bore. After firing in the generous chamber I could seat a .463 but must check and see if it would seat in the chamber at that point, and consider if the neck would expand enough for release as well. Hmmm...? Might squeek a bit before it exits...ehh? Well, it's easier to read first as metal is much harder to add than subtract. Honing out the Lee push thru die for a larger boolit would be cheaper (if buggered) and easier. Much to think about fellers. Again...many thanks. Audie...the Oldfart..