PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe Jungle Carbine

Boz330
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
A guy I did a favor for gave me a Santa Fe JC that had not been shot in years. The first cast loads that I tried in it were abysmal, more like patterns than groups. I dug out some info I had from the 303.com site about cream of wheat filler. I was a little concerned about this method because of pressure. The load that I put together was 18gr of 4759 and topped the case up to an 1/8" of the case mouth and used a 314299 boolit to top it off. I checked the target after the first 5 rounds and had the cutest little 2" group you ever saw. I then shot the remaining 5 rounds which opened the group to 3" high by 2" wide. To say I was a happy camper is an under statement. The primers were mildly flattened but nothing I would consider a problem.
I had tried the COW in in a #1 with an eroded throat some years ago and it didn't help that one at all. So it just goes to show that every rifle has it's own preference.

Bob

zuke
02-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I have a Santa Fe Schmidt Rubin conversion to 308 I picked up cheap.
It's fun to play with.

longbow
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
I gotta ask... what is a Santa Fe Jungle Carbine?

Good to know there is another Jungle carbine out there shooting and giving good accuracy. They don't seem too common anymore.

I have two Jungle Carbines and two No. 4's. All have typical oversize bores running 0.314" groove diameter and 0.315' throats. I have only shot two any amount and mostly one No. 5 which is my favourite. It shot factory loads poorly but my NOE 316299 sized to 0.315" shoots pretty well.

I have been using a lot of COW as I like to shoot PB boolits rather than GC (cheap and lazy). I have found no problems at all loading COW and accuracy is quite acceptable. I start light with the COW on top then work up powder charge and down with COW. No pressure signs and no problems.

One thing I have read and just recently tested is that when using COW no lube is required and no leading will result. Well, not the case in my tests. Accuracy was okay but not great and after about 50 rounds I had some fairly bad leading about 1/2 way up the barrel. It wiped out with a tightly patched jag so not a lot of work but there was quite a bit of lead flake in there!

With lubed boolits and COW I get no leading at all and accuracy runs around 1" to 1 1/2" at 50 yards.

I am normally using 18 to 22 grs. IMR4227 with good results in my .303's. I have not chronographed it but it is a fairly mild load.

Longbow

JeffinNZ
02-27-2013, 04:30 AM
The Santa Fe is a No1 Mk III SMLE cut down to 'look' like a Jungle Carbine.

Boz330
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
The Santa Fe is a No1 Mk III SMLE cut down to 'look' like a Jungle Carbine.

Actually this one is a #4. I have seen the #1s but they were the 7.62 NATO round 2As from India. I had one of those for awhile but someone else wanted it more than me.

I have quite a bit of the 4759 and I have had really good luck with it in the 30cals.

Jeff, do you happen to have a drawing of your 303 Pygmy that you might be able to post?

Bob

longbow
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Okay then thanks... but how did they get the Santa Fe name attached? Company/brand name?

I have never heard of that before but then I live a sheltered life I guess.

Longbow

Boz330
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
They stamped that logo on the barrel. I assume it was an importer that was filling a niche. I remember the first real JC I saw back in the 60s. It was purchased for $25. With commercial HP rifles going for 4 to 5 times that much at the time the JC would have been the poor mans sporterized deer rifle. Heck I bought an arsenal reconditioned #4MK2 for $59 in 1992. In the late 50s early 60s you could get 3 surplus rifles of your choice delivered to your door for $39. That is probably when many of these rifles showed up. The Gun Control Act of 68 did that in.

Bob

longbow
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I remember when I was a kid (well, teenager) the Army & Navy store was selling Jungle Carbines in boxes packed in cosmoline for $25.00. And why didn't I buy several? Well, at the time $25.00 was certainly more than it is now (though still a steal) and who would have thought that 40 years later I would be wanting Jungle Carbines? Doh!

Longbow

stubshaft
03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
I have had one for years. I used to use it as my primary tote along rifle for sheep and hog hunting. IIRC - mine has a 2 groove rifled barrel. Never did get around to trying cast in it though as surplus corrosive shells were dirt cheap back in the day.