PDA

View Full Version : A GREAT morning!

Jim
08-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I got up at dawn this morning and did a little casting. Lee 452-255-TCTLs and 452-230-RNTLs. After all was said and done, I had two rejects. Works for me! Man, I love days that start like that!:-D

9.3X62AL
08-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Now, THAT is a good start to the day! I should do likewise, and run some metal EARLY to avoid daytime heat in the garage.

I had a pretty good start to the day myself--for the first time since Fall 2001, I was awakened by the eager licking and nosing of our new dog. He's a pistol, all right.

NVcurmudgeon
08-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Looking forward to a few nice days, here too. Fran and the resident kid are going camping for four days with my sister-in-law and her husband, both inconsolable since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The current 90-100 F weather and lack of distraction should facilitate a shift to tropical working hours, along with producing 2,000 or so 9mm TC boolits and some dividends from Onceabull's latest "leased" mould.

onceabull
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Ahh,YES, Bill !!! I just love the talk of dividends in the morning..:mrgreen: Onceabull :roll:

Shiloh
08-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Rain!! and a steady dose of it!! :-D

About 65 degrees finally. Beats the hell out of 86+ and humid in the garage. I can't drink enough ice water to keep hydrated. The pots fired up, got the water quench bucket filled and strategically located, my iced club soda with limes in place and I'm casting!!. Lee .45 TLSWC and some more 35891 .38/357 on the agenda.

Shiloh :castmine:

bishopgrandpa
08-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Went to local gun show in Saratoga this morning and came away with a 429421 mould for $15. Fired up the pot in this heat and got a hundred good looking ones. Another good day.

9.3X62AL
08-04-2007, 07:05 PM
None of that casting stuff for me--100+, and humid (for here).

I need to pour a couple designs I'm running short on--NEI #19 (.258 x 100) and Lee 8mm x 175. Both boolits get a lot of use for the Burrito Match, and the leftovers from a box of 50 rounds (after sight check and getting my aspirations kicked by Buckshot And The Usual Suspects) get expended on the 200 meter dinger plate.

I am always intrigued how well these rounds group on target during sight checks and how consistently I hit the plate after the Match--and how poorly they perform for the 10 rounds involved in the actual shoot. One of the darker of life's many mysteries.

No_1
08-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Funny how that happens isn't it? Just like the case of the car never acts up when the mechanic is around.....

R.

I am always intrigued how well these rounds group on target during sight checks and how consistently I hit the plate after the Match--and how poorly they perform for the 10 rounds involved in the actual shoot. One of the darker of life's many mysteries.

targetshootr
08-04-2007, 07:33 PM
It so hot in NC today it was an effort to to drive to the range and pick up an order of powder and primers. Any year now I'm going to pass on a gun and get the ac fixed on the Montero. This is year sixteen.

Black Wolf
08-04-2007, 08:54 PM
It so hot in NC today it was an effort to to drive to the range and pick up an order of powder and primers. Any year now I'm going to pass on a gun and get the ac fixed on the Montero. This is year sixteen.

No doubt. 99 degrees in Winston Salem at 10:45AM...Miller-time.

Bret4207
08-05-2007, 08:33 AM
It's haying time boys. Don't knock it. In 5 months, belay that!, FOUR months it'll be so cold I'll look like the Michelin Tire Man every where I go. Hot is good.

Mind you, hot up here was 85-90 yesterday. About 75% humidity. Perfect haying weather.

Newtire
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm loving the early morning hours for casting too. It's up around 90-100º here some days and gets hot in garage in middle of afternoon. No range today as I have dump run and washer/grey water sump piping repair. Next weekend though!

JSH
08-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Jim, I will one up ya. Had to work the AM yesterday, in by 4AM. I usually try to get there by 3 so as to set my pot and hot plate set up. It was 78 and 78% humidity. Not my cup of tea but getting paid to cast what the heck. It was right at 95 when I left about 1PM and I was ready to go. Had to load a few trucks, so that held up any progress on my side.

bishopgrandpa, kind of funny on the 429421. I picked a SC up a while back along with a couple of other moulds and sizer dies, just for trading "stock". I thought I would give it a try and see how it cast. Falls out of the blocks like no ones business, good looking slug too.

I usually try to use 6 or 4 C moulds so I can empty the pot in a hurry. Somtimes it is an hour or more before I can get back to the set up. I did need some 30 cal stuff so had to cast some of those. Also I am getting the 30 PB large lube groove to starighten itself out the more I use it. It likes a hotter alloy than I like to use in order to get the TL/crimp grooves to fill. I am going to have to invest in some Bullplate lube.

Picked up an RCBS mould that is just throwing a fit. I must have ran15-20 throws through it before it acted like the blocks were up to temp. It showed poor fill out at the nose. Driving bands were sharp on one side and round on the other. I thought for a while it may be dirty. I looked it over and it looks clean. Rounded lube grooves showed up on both halves of both cavities so I ruled the dirt lube or crud out.

I did finally try the floor dry fluxing trick today. I think it will do away with my alum lid for the pot as it holds the heat well. I suggest anyone that has not tried this to give it a whirl. Doesn't take much about a handful is good. I will suggest that you put it in the pot on initial start up so as to burn off any moisture that it may have in it. Mine did burp a bit, so I just let it lay there for a few minutes then all was well.
Jeff

Forgot this.
As to the heat. Everyday I don't have a coat on, is another day it is too hot.

Ricochet
08-05-2007, 12:43 PM
my sister-in-law and her husband, both inconsolable since the collapse of the Soviet Union
Old hardcore rightwing cold warriors, huh?

NVcurmudgeon
08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Old hardcore rightwing cold warriors, huh?

Da, Tovarich, but on the side of the motherland.

9.3X62AL
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
There's always Berkeley and Santa Monica if they start getting homesick, Bill.