PDA

View Full Version : Who made it? .25 caliber Spanish Baby Browning clone

Percival
02-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Looking for information about this little guy. On the left side of the slide it says (very faintly, looks like someone polished off too much material) "Automatic Pistol Cal 6.35." Just behind the slide lock notch, on the frame there is a 4 digit serial number. "Made in Spain" is stamped on the frame slightly off center to the rear of the last serration on the slide. "Made" is level, "In" is in the middle and "Spain" is curved. My phone won't take a proper picture of it, and it's faint at best to begin with. The only other identifying feature I can find is the cartouche on the stocks.

Anyone here have any idea who made it? Also, I have brass, Dies, and primers, but no projectiles... While we're at it, who's got a few to spare? :)

lawdog941
02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Percival;2078464]Looking for information about this little guy. On the left side of the slide it says (very faintly, looks like someone polished off too much material) "Automatic Pistol Cal 6.35." Just behind the slide lock notch, on the frame there is a 4 digit serial number. "Made in Spain" is stamped on the frame slightly off center to the rear of the last serration on the slide. "Made" is level, "In" is in the middle and "Spain" is curved. My phone won't take a proper picture of it, and it's faint at best to begin with. The only other identifying feature I can find is the cartouche on the stocks.

Anyone here have any idea who made it? Also, I have brass, Dies, and primers, but no projectiles... While we're at it, who's got a few to spare? :)

Try Astra. They've had several models Cub, 2000.

MtGun44
02-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Could have been anyone in Spain with a file.

Lots of small makers in the old days.

Bill

Ragnarok
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Not a 'Baby Browning clone'...it's a Spanish Ruby style pistol. This type of small handgun made by many companys in Spain..and France for that matter.

rintinglen
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
The Ruby pistols were 7.65 , not 6.35. This is a Spanish copy of the 1906 Browning There is a sticky at the top of the page that may be of help. But, There were literally scores of manufacturers of these guns. WHB Smith had page after page of pictures of examples in his Pistols of the World. Those grips are distinctive, but at this late date, it may be difficult. Most of these manufacturers were put out of business after the Triumph of Franco during the decades of his dictatorship.

Ragnarok
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
That's a Ruby 'STYLE' pistol...not all that close to a Baby Browning...safety is different for one...that little pistol is a midget Ruby...seen them before...about the same as the French Unique which itself is a Ruby style pistol.

The Baby Browning is striker-fired...I would bet money that gun has a internal hammer.

Percival
02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks to everyone who chimed in, unfortunately it's more difficult to appraise without a definite answer as to who made it. I'll take any more information I can get :D

Ragnarok
02-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Look on the frame for reminants of a circle or oval with a couple letters in it...maybe on the left rear frame. Many Spanish makers used such a marking...some just plain letters in an oval/circle...some with a fancier 'trade mark' style stamp. If it has something like this can maybe identify a manufacturer...

Two Old Dogs
02-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I believe your pistol is a "DUAN" manufactured by Fernando Ormachea of Ermua, Spain. The name, "DUAN" should appear on the slide just after 6.35mm, but may have been removed in polishing.

This is an Eibar type (more acceptable term) .25 ,ACP pistol rather than a "Ruby" type.

Gabilondo y Urresti (later Llama Gabilondo y Cia) introduced the "Ruby" 7.65 mm (.32 ACP) in early 1914. In early 1915, Gabilondo submitted samples of the Ruby to the French, who after testing, adopted the Ruby as the "Pistolet Automatique Type Ruby". Gabilondo, as prime contractor, was unable to meet the French demand and subcontracted with other maufacturers. There were 45 (according to Gangrosa) to 51 (according to Kranse) manufacturers that produced the Ruby 7.65 mm pistol for France and other countries in WWI. After the war, these manufacturers flooded the world market with "Rubys".

Gabilondo also marketed, through Ruby Arms Company, at least 4 versions of a .25 ACP pistol market "Ruby"

pietro
02-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who chimed in, unfortunately it's more difficult to appraise without a definite answer as to who made it. I'll take any more information I can get :D

There's not much difficulty in appraising it - even high-quality & clearly-marked, good-condition Spanish .25 pocket autos like Astra's are hard-pressed to actually sell for much more than $250-$300 (regardless of "asking" price tags) - much less an unmarked, well-worn orphan.

Percival
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Once again, thank you all for the info. I do have another question about this firearm: There are pins that look as though they serve no purpose aside from filling imperfections in the casting (they missed one, but it's mostly hidden by the slide). Is that their intended purpose? Also, the firing pin is staying stuck forward. Is it possible to remove the pin entirely for cleaning without removing the plug at the very rear of the slide(This plug has a definite purpose)? Or is there not enough wiggle room?