PDA

View Full Version : Euroarms

Don 3
08-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I got a mold in a load of stuff today and have a question or two. Its a brass single with wood handles marked EUROARMS,made in italy. It cast a mini ball .550 weighting 450 gr. My question is will this hold up to use, a few 100 a year are are they mostly to go in a boxed set or desply box. I can't find any info in old gun books so I knew someone here would know.

Thanks Don

Bret4207
08-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Zillions of those around. They started showing up just before the US Bi-Centennial when everyone HAD to have a muzzle loader and the great black powder boom began, pun intended. They came with a lot of guns in kits as I recall and are still available I think. Every time I go to a garage sale and ask for molds, reloading equipment, etc. it seems one of these or a Lee round ball mould shows up.

As for using them- I used one for a 36 C+B Colt replica a couple times. First thing is to make a set of wood handles if it doesn't have them, yours does I see, and them prep the mould like any other. Big thing would be to make sure the mould closes tight and that the sprue plate is sharp. After that I'd keep the hinge pin lubed and try it. The little all metal one I used made a good enough boolit, but we used WW not pure lead like we were supposed to and it was hard getting them in the cylinder. I also found out there's no way you use one without making handles!

Don 3
08-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Bret, thanks for info, I also got one that is all brass for pistol, makes a round ball and a bullet, I plan on just putting it in a revolver box, I could tell it would be no fun to use with brass handles.

The mini ball mold makes a nice looking bullet but I don't have anything to shoot it out of, gona have to sell the mold are buy a gun, what ever comes first.

Thanks alot for your info, Don