PDA

View Full Version : how to catch lubed bullets?

will52100
02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
There's probably an answer somewhere on this forum, but I couldn't find it yet.

here's my dilemma, I shoot a lot of black powder and use big lube bullets and very soft bullet lube. When I punch bullets through and into a plastic box under the sizer if I put more than say 10 or so in the edges of the bullets dig sections of lube out of the lube groves. So far what I've been doing is to lube 10-15 bullets and load them, then lube some more. If I lube a box full I wind up having to use my fingers to put lube back into the groves.

Any ideas?

Thanks

wymanwinn
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
i size BP big lube bullets when cold....and catch each one and put them in cartridge trays....one by one....kind of a PITA but it works...and i generally cast about a years worth of pistol and rifle and i shoot Cowboy Action matches at least twice a month and a couple of Annuals thrown in for good measure.....

wyman

There's probably an answer somewhere on this forum, but I couldn't find it yet.

here's my dilemma, I shoot a lot of black powder and use big lube bullets and very soft bullet lube. When I punch bullets through and into a plastic box under the sizer if I put more than say 10 or so in the edges of the bullets dig sections of lube out of the lube groves. So far what I've been doing is to lube 10-15 bullets and load them, then lube some more. If I lube a box full I wind up having to use my fingers to put lube back into the groves.

Any ideas?

Thanks

will52100
02-25-2013, 12:52 AM
You mean trays like you use to stand up cartridges to be loaded with powder? I used to use a little stiffer lube and lube around 500 at a time, but I found my lube drying out on the exposed bullets. I pulled a few I loaded a couple of years ago and they weren't dried out. Since I mixed this next batch of lube with more olive oil it does a lot better job of keeping the fouling soft, and not drying out over time on the exposed bullets, but it's easier to damage as well.

Oh well, it still beats the heck out of pan lubing!

gbrown
03-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Go to Dollar General, Family dollar, Walmart or Sam's and buy a big bundle of wash cloths. Cheap as you can get them. Or, use old rags around the house. Put one in the box, drop 10, lay another over those, drop 10, etc until box is full. Lay a cloth in a box, like a shoe box and gently roll the boolits out, one cloth at a time. Then start over. I drop and air cool my boolits (for smokeless powder) like this to prevent dings in my lube grooves and bases, while still soft. Drop them in a 5 gallon bucket with a large hand towel and after about 25, ease them to the bottom layer of cloths, and then put the hand towel back on top.

Whiterabbit
03-03-2013, 01:37 AM
catch by hand and put them into a tray like a 45acp plastic tray. left hand is putting one away while the right hand is loading another bullet in the sizer. No change in productivity.

kweidner
03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Stiffen your lube a little. I run into the same thing if my lube is heated too much. Another neat trick is store them in the refrigerator. It really works. By the time a really soft lube tries to start coming off from handling they are already in a case ready to go to the range.

will52100
03-03-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a stiffer mix, and it works well, but the softer mix really works great with black powder. Just a greasy mess to load and handle.

John Boy
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I too shoot BPCR lubed bullets for all calibers 22 LR up to 50-70, with weights from 40gr to 570gr. Lube used is a 40:40:20 mix of mutton tallow-paraffin-bees wax.
With a cold lube cake, the bullets are dropped into either a Pope Box or onto 2 layers of cotton towels.
All bullets from 40gr up to 320gr are then put in plastic container. The 400gr to 570's are put individually in Styrofoam bullet trays
Lube dropping off the GG or bullet nicks? - Never