PDA

View Full Version : need sprue plate

ranger1962
02-24-2013, 09:18 PM
I have a 7mm Lee single cavity bullet mold that I got in a deal.
It needs the sprue plate x bolt washer.
I tried going to Lee and also a couple other online places no luck.
anyone have a spare one laying around?
If not where can I get one? Thanks guys

Le Loup Solitaire
02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
If everything else fails you can make one easily enough, out of a piece of clean plate steel or aluminum that is 1/8-1/4" thick. the only tools required are a hacksaw to cut it to size, a drill for the sprue hole and the bolt hole to attach the plate to the blocks, a good countersink for the conical sprue hole and a file for getting rid of the sharp edges and burrs. Also needed is some patience and some extra metal in case you mess up. (I did a few times) A reference article for doing this is found in the NRA Handloading handook, titled "Aluminum Sprueplate rated high", by Col E.H. Harrison. I have made several and they work very well. It helps if you have a design to trace on the metal but you can make it any shape that you want. Other advice; when you drill the hole for the sprue cone make it small and then enlarge it very slowly and carefully with the countersink...if you go to deep to fast then you get a hole that is too big and you have to start over. Might sound complicated, but it isn't. Good luck if you try. LLS