PDA

View Full Version : sorting 22rf jackets & cores

fredj338
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
While waiting for the rest of my dies, I thought I would start sorting the cores & jackets I have swaged. Cores are running 46.8gr-47.4gr. I am new to this, so I am assuming it's my technique giving me such variation. So I want to sort them into lots, how much variation, 0.1gr, 0.2gr?
Same question for the jackets. With mixed brass, they are coming in @ 9.4gr-9.9gr. The Federal @ 10.1gr-10.5gr. My thought is 0.2gr lots & then match the cores to the jackets to get as close to possible total weights. Thoughts?
thx guys.

DukeInFlorida
02-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Yup, I have previously reported that I sort by .1 grain , both jackets and cores.

You could drop down to .2 grains, if that is easier for you.

Then, I match up cores with jackets that give me 55 grains, and they always seem to fill out wonderfully. I use those as my "good" bullets.

I match up the rest of them , as well as I can, and use those as the "plinking" rounds, the variations never seem to be that far off. And they ALL shoot fine. I run through a lot of the non-55 grainers in my 720 rpm AR's. That thing eats and spits out everything, very accurately.

fredj338
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks Duke. This first batch I sorted in 0.2gr increments. I'll start there & match cores & jackets, see how this goes, as soon as Brian gets me the rest of the dies. It is interesting seeing how much cases/jackets vary in wt. I have found some Federal cases as light as 9.4gr & as heavy as 11gr, but most are right in there @ 10.3-10.4gr. So far, been fun learning sonething new related to reloading.

DukeInFlorida
02-25-2013, 05:26 PM
The FUN part starts when you FIRE the first rounds! I had BIG GRINS on my face all day long.
And, at that machine gun shoot, I had flocks of people around me, inquiring about the "FREE" bullets.
Everyone was amazed at how accurately the gun shot, and how trouble free the swaged bullets fed through the gun.

So, get ready to have the real fun!

fredj338
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
HA! I am counting on that! The satisfaction of makign something that works well is the drive behind most reloaders. It's waht I have always liked about casting; turning piles of junk into shiney bullets. This is the same, just a bit better as there is more involved than casting. Now if Brian can just get them to us sooner than later.:coffeecom