PDA

View Full Version : New Lee linkage for older presses

Recluse
02-24-2013, 08:07 PM
I've had my little Lee Challenger press since 1988. It has loaded well over ten thousand rounds of various calibers and was my only single-stage press for many years. Even though I never had a problem with it, the weak point in this press is not in the frame, but in the linkage.

Some time back, I happened to notice that Lee was offering a beefed up all steel linkage replacement for the Pro1000 and I ordered the upgrade. Combined with the roller handle, it made the Pro1000 feel like a new machine as ergonomically, it takes all of the side-loading off of the pull/cycling that was present with the old aluminum and cantered/angled handle and linkage.

The handle on the Challenger is held by pressure plates and I was constantly having to tighten those up to keep the handle from sliding or slipping in the last few years. After seeing how well the upgraded linkage worked on the Pro1000, I ordered another upgrade hoping I could use it on the Challenger.

Works like a champ and I decided to use the roller handle on this press as well since it now gets the heavy repititious work like de-priming and (push through) boolit sizing. That roller handle makes it pretty darn easy. :)

Here is a pic of the new linkage:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62339&d=1361749620

Some of the best and most consistently accurate long gun ammunition I've ever fired was loaded on that press and I'm kinda sentimental about it, so it's neat being able to upgrade it and even better, in a fashion that makes it even more comfortable to use.

Here is the same linkage upgrade on the Pro1000:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62338&d=1361749619

I chose this picture so that you can see and compare the linkage to that which comes with the Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses. It's stout, solid, quality linkage.

:coffee:

Isaac
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Good info. Thanks for the supporting photos.

I picked up a Challenger about a year ago. No problems so far. I'll note this for the future should I have the same issue.

Isaac

thehouseproduct
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. Ordered. I've broke the linkage twice but see no reason to ditch an otherwise useable press.

bruce drake
02-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I enjoy my Challenger Press and would recommend them to anyone to either start out with or to have a good press to backup whatever else they have on their bench.

Bruce

45-70 Chevroner
02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
My first press was a RCBS Jr. I bought it used back in 1971, it wasn't cheep for the times. I paid $25.00 for it. I used it up until about 5 years ago. I desided to get a new press so I ordered a Challanger Breach Lock Press. "I really like this press", even better than the RCBS. I just recently gave the RCBS to a grandson to help him get started in reloading.
I bought enough Breach Lock bushings for 8 sets of dies that are all set up and ready to go. I don't think there is a better system for single stage loading than the Challanger BLP and especially for the money. I really like the looks of that new Handle and Linkage. It looks like a very nice option even for the CBLP.
I also have a Lee Reloader Single stage press (very nice little press and handy too). I set it up for odd little jobs like, decapping, cast boolit sizing, and what ever else that comes to mind.