PDA

View Full Version : 4x4x4

Blammer
02-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Well today I got a chance to go to the rifle club I joined.

they have a 200yd range and I've been dying to shoot some of my favorite 100yd loads at 200yds to see how they do.

I had my Marlin XL7 in 35 whelen.
RCBS 35-200 WQWW sized to .358
IMR4895 51.0gr
30-06 Win reformed brass and wolf LR primer

As you recall this was a problem child until I WQ the boolits.

the ammo was all loaded at the same time, I shot 5 at 100yds and 5 at 200yds, no rush no take extra time.

Barrel was hot after the first 5 and probably the same hotness after the 2nd 5. (I just shoot, don't really care about barrel temp until it gets really really hot)

5 at 100yds were into an inch or so, per usual (I'll see about getting a pic up)

5 at 200yds was surprising to me
4" down
4" to the left
4" group

Wind was fairly stiff, so I'll try it again on another day not so windy and see if it still shoots that far to the left.
:D

I'm happy

Look out deer! I now have my 200yd deer load and rifle!

RP
02-24-2013, 07:47 PM
DJ I am sorry to be the one to inform you but after speaking to someone I have learned you cant shoot lead out of a rifle. This was news to me and was not aware until this fellow let me know. So I feel if you shoot a deer with a cast bullet it will not die just letting you know. Good luck bud.

Cactus Farmer
02-24-2013, 08:17 PM
If lead won't shoot from rifles,what killed all the buffalo?

Blammer
02-24-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm just waiting for one of the old geezers there to tell me I can't do that.

I'll say "just because you can't do it doesn't mean I can't."

338RemUltraMag
02-24-2013, 08:33 PM

Checkens... Buffalo's worst enemy

SciFiJim
02-25-2013, 01:48 AM

Darrel,

That one goes the the ready file for timely use as needed.:bigsmyl2: That is absolutely the best reply I have heard about "can't shoot lead".

leftiye
02-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Yuh young smartazz, just like all them young dummies nowadays, let's just re-imagine reality. LOL

sthwestvictoria
02-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Nice work Blammer. I have a Whelen but no larger mold for it currently. I have been doing a good deal of reading in preparation and realise that although other people hear state the Whelen can be pushed over 2000fps easier than some calibres the boolits will need to be hard. I have just purchased Richard Lees Modern Reloading as well and am digesting his take on things about maximum bullet strength as it relates to pressure. I don't think the ACWW I have been using in the 30-30 will cut it if I want to go over 2000fps in the Whelen.

Blammer
02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
it's not the chickens that did in the buffalo, it was the EVIL SHEEP!

I tried really hard to get my ACWW's to shoot in my whelen, it was not until I water quenched them did things turn for the better.

1Shirt
02-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Chickens and sheep eh! Ya forgot the zombies, and the green plastic tips of the future!
1Shirt!

Wolfer
02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Your all wrong about the bufflers. Them thar angry birds had to turn to pigs after they run out of buffalo.
Mark my words pigs will be on the endangered list next.

TXGunNut
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Yep, millions of buffalo, 6-700,000 Civil War soldiers....have they forgotten that j-words and smokeless powder are a relatively recent development in the firearms world? Lead bullets have been getting the job done for centuries and are getting better all the time!

Wayne Smith
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Darrel, you now have to re-read Bruce's sticky on casting soft nose boolits. Since you are water quenching these, unless you are using a 50/50 alloy they won't expand real well. Make up ten or so of the soft noses and keep them for hunting, practice with the standard water quenched.