PDA

View Full Version : Remington 5-1 blanks

smkummer
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
62419Just found a old partial box (35) of these loaded and one fired from the fifties judging from the red and green box. I would like to reload these as blanks again with smokeless powder. Anybody here done this? It appears the over the powder wad is something like cork? I have reloaded 38 special blanks with a full case of 700X with a card wad and it works great with enough pressure to keep the primer from backing out, and am wondering if it will work with these. I guess I could take one apart and see what is inside.

gunfan
02-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm not certain what they used, but it is a distinct possibility that cork may have been used.

Yes, I do remember the "5-in-1" blanks from the 1960's.

Scott

gunfan
02-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Starline is making brass for the 5-in-1.

Scott

smkummer
02-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Great, starline is making brass so loading data must be somewhere but where? I'll keep searching.

Mal Paso
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Hornady makes blank reloading dies that put a star crimp on the mouth of the case. I believe those use blank powder. I'm not sure current blanks have anything that might be a projectile. They actually used live fire in the early movies......................

smkummer
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
OK, I filled the case past the shoulder with 700X (again it works great in 38 special and the military used in 50 cal. blanks) and stuffed plastic foam shipping peanuts too pack it in. I shot one round out of my Colt 38-40 Bisley and it sounded like a factory round. I didn't have ear plugs in and it kind of is ringing my ear. My work is done here. The primer backed out slighty but the cylinder still revolved. Job done.

gunfan
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
OK, I filled the case past the shoulder with 700X (again it works great in 38 special and the military used in 50 cal. blanks) and stuffed plastic foam shipping peanuts too pack it in. I shot one round out of my Colt 38-40 Bisley and it sounded like a factory round. I didn't have ear plugs in and it kind of is ringing my ear. My work is done here. The primer backed out slighty but the cylinder still revolved. Job done.

You might want to back off the charge just a tad. The styrofoam was/is an inspired thought. Light cardboard with a touch of lacquer might serve you better. This is just a thought.

Scott

gunfan
02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Deleted duplicate.

smkummer
02-26-2013, 07:59 PM
It appears that the primer is backing out because the case is not being thrust against the rear with the same force as a loaded cartridge. I say this because the factory roll crimp that held the original cork in place is still present, as it appear the brass in not expanding. That is also why I can't stick a cardboard wad back in because the roll is still very much there. The foam peanut material appears to work well and stay in place.

gunfan
02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
5in1 brass is not supposed to loose that roll. That simulates the boolit and OAL so it will feed in lever action rifles.

If the primer is backing out it's probably due to to much powder charge, the flash hole is already made over size because it is a blank case.

5in1 came in 1/4, 1/2, and full charges of black powder. If the wad is near the mouth of the case it's a full charge, and so on.

There was flash blanks too, that had magnesium dust mixed in the powder to make a bright muzzle flash.

That bit of history was very insightful. Thank you very much! So the 5-in1 was loaded with black powder (and/or powdered magnesium!) I really enjoy these forays into yesteryear.

Scott