PDA

View Full Version : officially quit

6.5 mike
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Been dealing with some heart prolbems that started in Aug. Doc's couldn't figure out what they wanted to do, finally put a stent in early in Jan. While putting up with this made me think " I really do not want to go back to the boats", so last thursday I finished up the social securty stuff & am now retired again. Retired from the Navy 1 Feb '95.

Now all I gotta do is figure how to support my gun habit, LOL. Ya'll take care. :Fire:

Bulltipper
02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
I wish you the very best in your retirement sir!

richhodg66
02-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Someday' we'll all get to the point where work isn't worth the toll it takes on us. I retired from the Army last fall and with my situation at the time, could have quit working if I'd been careful, but wasn't ready to yet.

Ask me again in eight or ten years and you'll probably get a different answer. I love what I'm doing, but I think I could be happy without a daily job to go to. Use the time to get well physically and enjoy life. Work will be there again if you decide you want to later.

jmort
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Thank you for your service and God Speed and may you be blessed with good fortune and lots of stuff to cast and shoot with.

bayjoe
02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Also thank you for your dedication and service to your country.
Now that you are retired you'll probably work harder than when you had a job.
Enjoy !!

chambers
02-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Enjoy retirement and find some way to support shooting/casting!

clintsfolly
02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I retired 3 yrs ago and have done little things to keep busy. Then this Fall was able to buy a small piece of my idea of heaven. So I have went back to work started as a cab driver but the company owners had some bad work habits. After getting a Better job offer I am now driving for a delivery service. I find this to be fun and will help get my new cabin funded. Good luck with your new part of Life Clint

tiwimon
02-24-2013, 09:38 PM
I dare say few folks will ever lay on their death bed wishing they'd worked more, enjoy your time!

smoked turkey
02-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do mine. You have earned it, so go for it I say. Thank you for your service to us.

2thepoint
02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Good luck & Enjoy your retirement Mike!!
I checked out 2 years ago and have enjoyed every moment.

TheCelt
02-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Lets go shootin!! Had a similar deal, heart damage caused by pneumonia of all things (cardiomyopathy they call it). Got a pacer/defibulator installed and am on meds for life. Long and short of it is I was retired by NAVAIR. I have bought about 10molds in the last 6 months and am havin a ball! Sure do have a lot more time to load and shoot!!!!

Been dealing with some heart prolbems that started in Aug. Doc's couldn't figure out what they wanted to do, finally put a stent in early in Jan. While putting up with this made me think " I really do not want to go back to the boats", so last thursday I finished up the social securty stuff & am now retired again. Retired from the Navy 1 Feb '95.

Now all I gotta do is figure how to support my gun habit, LOL. Ya'll take care. :Fire:

farmerjim
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
I also retired in 95, I haven’t had a spare minute since then.
Thanks for your service, Enjoy Retirement.

x101airborne
02-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Thank you much for your service. I know it can take a toll of folks.
I am not retired in the official sense, but I dont have to have an official job any more and I can tell you, you wont have a spare minute to scratch your ........ (insert ANY noun here).
I hope you enjoy your spare time and wish you well.
If you have kids, no matter how old they are, try to spend some time with them. I am slated to lose my dad at almost any time and all I want is to spend some time doing things with him. Embrace this time and dont trifle it away.
(With respect. This is just my opinion)

Kskybroom
02-25-2013, 04:11 AM
.......Thank You......

Lance Boyle
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Time to enjoy the "your time" you've earned.
Thanks for your service.

6.5 mike
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys. Funny part is I stopped by the one leather shop in P'cola last thursday to get some supplys & was offered a part time job. Start tomorrow, strange how things work out.

jaysouth
02-26-2013, 07:12 PM
After being retired for almost ten years, I can't figure how folks can find time to work or hold down a job.

But you folks who do have a job just don't realize how lucky you are to have a place and people to define you, and need your talents. When I wake up in the morning, I am faced with lots of difficult decisions; Get up or go back to bed, when do I take naps today, can I have the whole day off, should I go fishing or weed the garden or go to the range? Really tough decisions that really take it out of you. You working folks are lucky.

Bad Water Bill
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
More things to ponder since retirement. What is for breakfast,lunch etc.
What COLOR shirt to wear?
When should I leave for the barber shop?
Should I put gas in the car today?

DECISIONS DECISIONS

Heck I am tired ALREADY. Time for another nap:bigsmyl2:

pls1911
02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your service, and ditto to most of the comments above....best wishes.
Guys, I ain't there yet and like will never be, because it's just not in my genes.
Oh, I'm ready to chuck the rat race, but plan on spending time on equipment like tractors and bobcats, and grain trucks and projects helping others make it, so long as my health holds out, but then I can spend more time casting and loading.
One of the best things about this forum is the group of fine folks who simply pull together.

youngda9
03-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you so much for your service. Enjoy your well deserved retirement.

Hardcast416taylor
03-01-2013, 03:30 PM
After I "pulled the pin" on retirement in `03 as an Industrial plumber, for the last time, I have been offered jobs 4 times. All of these job offers were at "Big Box" stores with plumbing sections. Did I mention that I turned them all DOWN?Robert

Freightman
03-01-2013, 07:33 PM
I retired due to a tore up back in '93 they wouldn't let me go back to the job I had hustling freight.went to work in a friends gun shop for guns, he went and retired after two years, went to work at another friends archery and gun shop , he retired after two years.
So I found an application with the city traffic dept on the internet and filled it out forgot about it and a year later they called and ask if I wanted the job as a school crossing job, 45 min in the morning and 45 min in the afternoon, so I took it, best job I ever had pays me for 30 hrs a week at min wage which doesn't cost me money at tax time . Been at it for five years and at 73 I think it keeps me in shape as it is 75' from one side of e street to the other and I have about 50 kids cross and I have to go all the way across both ways.
Retirement is good, retirement with something to do is better and gives me a little spending money.
Enjoy and thanks for what you did serve which is the highest calling on this earth.

ACrowe25
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your service good sir, enjoy the other half of your life now (the retirement!)

goofyoldfart
03-10-2013, 01:53 AM
I wish to thank you for your service Sir. enjoy life, now. i had to retire early at 63, five year ago. the 4 tours in the University of Southeast Asia (and damage sustained there) along with 15 years in the steel mill (also 10 on the local economy) plus 19.5 years as a uniformed armed security officer finally took their toll on me. BUT, I still fix computers for my friends and cast and reload. found a young man (my girlfriends' grandson) who wants to learn these things and go hunting with me, both to hunt and act as my safety man (disabled Vet) and I am in the process of getting him in to a hunting and safety course. Of course he is going to have to learn how to cast boolits and reload.:mrgreen: So, I can honestly say "Life is Good--even with the pain". God Bless to all and theirs'

GOF <aka Goofy or Godfrey>

9.3X62AL
03-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Many thanks for your service to our nation, and enjoy this new chapter of your life. I retired in June 2005, and there is PLENTY to do without returning to work. Finally being able to spend uninterrupted quality time with kids and grandkids is the greatest blessing, they did without Dad quite a bit while I was working. It's THEIR turn now.

6.5 mike
03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks again guys. The work is only 6 hours a day, 3 days a week, beats the hell out of 14 days on a boat. Just my wife & I so getting to spend more time with her makes it all worth it, instead of trying to jam everything into 7 days off. First year we were married, had 54 days together, never have caught up,lol.