PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Marksman 22lr info needed

bigmike13
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
So I picked up a Stevens Marksman 22lr as I have always wanted one like my grandfather has. I got lucky at the gun shop and was able to pick one up that is in great shape and for a reasonable price, woo hoo ! Here's where my questions start. The gun looks to be some sort of upgrade from the standard blued steel ones I have seen. The reciever has a copper hue to it like it had been plated and the Barrel has the normal bluing, the butt plate is brass and the small screw on the forend has a nice brass inlay. It has savage proof marks (svg inside a circle) so I think it is a later model. Anyone have and info or wisdom on these old guns they are willing to share?

bigmike13
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Pepe Ray
02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
The coloration on the receiver is what occurs when someone reblues over case hardening.
BTDT.
Pepe Ray

bigmike13
02-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info, should have figured it had Ben re-blued, I see shiny and get excited. Still very thrilled to have a gun like grandad's

Pepe Ray
02-25-2013, 12:57 AM
I certainly wouldn't let it bother me.
Nice fetch!!
Pepe Ray

uscra112
02-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Nice looking wood, too, from that one picture. I have four rimfires and three of the centerfire version (44 Shot) and none of them look like that! Obviously a re-finished gun, but no matter. Hope the bore is as good. So many of them were spoiled by corrosive ammo.

I've always felt that the Marksman was far and away the best of the Stevens boy's rifle line, much better even than the more popular Favorite. Certainly the strongest. The link screws wear, and the hammer fall is rather light, so the firing pin must be kept in good tune to assure reliable ignition, and the takedown arrangement can allow excess headspace if the socket and/or the retaining screw get worn from rust or abuse. But Frank deHaas wrote that a good tight gun could stand being reamed out for the .22 WMR, which you sure wouldn't try in any other boy's rifle of the time!

John Taylor
02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Just finished one of these for the boy scouts. Put a new barrel on and made up some wood for it. Got just the action from a customer.

bigmike13
02-25-2013, 12:34 PM
The bore is nice and shiny and the action is tight, just needs to spend some time at the gunsmiths to get the trigger/hammer area working again

BCRider
02-26-2013, 02:43 AM
I've got a couple of older handguns where the original blueing turned a sort of coppery or plum like brown. Apparently it occured with some guns all by itself. Hard to say if it was because of the type of blueing or if they were left in a crazy hot car trunk or for some other reason. But a couple of old timers told me it wasn't all that uncommon to see a blued gun go this way. So your gun MIGHT still have the original "blueing" which turned plum brown like the two examples I've got.

Other than that it sure does look like it's in primo condition based on the little you are showing us. What about a few shots of the overall gun?

torpedoman
02-27-2013, 07:40 PM
found mine in a trash can in the early 50's and the action was the same color as yours is then never gave it a lot of thought.used it as my squirrel gun for many years.