PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of Help with ID - Mule Ear style

Dragoon6
02-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Anyone have any info on this. I know it is Mule Ear type double percussion, Rifle/Shotgun O/U. I have researched H.B. Howe, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

451 Pete
02-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Dragoon 6,

In the book " American Firearms Makers " by Carey the only reference to a H. Howe is that he was a general gunsmith at Lansing , New York about 1870. I have unfortunately found no further information about your gun or maker. It may be possible to learn a little more by checking old tax records to locate the address of his former shop or as to how long he was listed on those records as being in the firearms business.

Hope this helps ..... Pete

Olut
03-01-2013, 02:19 PM
In his monumental tome "NYS Firearms Trade", Swinney has a great write-up on Henry Howe of Lansing and states that this ain't your guy. Your over/under doesn't appear to be of the same level of quality. Quoting Swinney,"There was another gunsmith, probably in New England somewhere, who stamped his rifles "H B Howe". He is not to be confused with "Harry Howe" of Lansing, NY."

Likewise, Frank Sellers' listing of American Gunsmiths has the following on your guy: " HOWE, H.B., unlocated. Mule ear double rifle".

Your gun has the typical look of a NY or Pa over/under, but similar guns were made in Michigan, Illinois, etc, etc

Sorry for not having a definative locale for this gunmaker ...... Olut