PDA

View Full Version : Star vs Ballisticast Mark VI luber

BigSlick
08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Looking to make an addition to the bench.

Want a lube sizer that will allow for faster turnout with less hassle than the LAM II.

I like the LAM II's I have, without a doubt, they work, and work well, but I'm looking for a solution that will lube and size 5k bullets in a weekend or so. When I get a chance to take the time, I want to be able to get thru a lot of pistol bullets as quickly as possible.

Will mainly be used with .313, .401 and .501 bullets initially, of straight ww's and Lar's Red. .452, .356 and .308 will come later.

I haven't spent any bucks yet, but am looking to find out what accessories work, which are a PITA and what I will really get the most use out of.

Star and Ballisticast are both rumored to be favorites among a lot of folks. Neither one is cheap. So, I'm looking to invest, once (if possible) and have a rig that will hold up for a long time, and allow for higher capacity bottom sizing.

Looking for the voice of been there done that experience.

I won't say money is no object, because that isn't true, I'm just looking for a good soultion whatever it costs without dumping a grand into bullet lubing hardware.

Thanks in advance

'Slick
________
HOW TO USE A VAPORITE (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

KYCaster
08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Slick: I haven't used a Ballisticast sizer (never even seen one up close) so I can't comment on it, but I have put millions through Stars.

Your 5K in a weekend target is very conservative. The best production rate is about 2K per hour, but that is hard to sustain for any length of time.

The air option is a definite plus, it maintains consistant pressure on the lube and saves time by eliminating the need to constantly crank the pressure screw.

I tried the auto feed very briefly. Some of the other guys here say they like it, but I found that I can feed boolits into the size die just as fast as I can load the tubes, so the time loading and changing tubes is wasted production time.

Hope this helps.
Jerry

Springfield
08-03-2007, 01:12 PM
I have 3 Stars, one with the bullet feed and all with air for the lube. The lube feeder helps speed things up due to not having to crank thehandle all the time. I also upped my lube capacity by 50% plugging the overfill hole, and you can only do that with with the air feed. I personally like the bullet feeder, but then I have to put my bullets into trays due to the soft lube, so my left hand was already busy and the bullet feeder sped things up. If you have hard lube and are just dropping them into a box it may not save you any time. Used properly I don't think a Star will ever wear out.

ANeat
08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
SLick I think either will crank out the lubed bullets. I took a long hard look at the Ballisticast luber but when I called there was a 6 or 8 week wait. About that time I came across a deal on a used Star so thats what I ended up with.

The guys I talked to with a Ballisticast luber really liked them, Stars/Magma are the same. Most guys that get there hands on one never let go.:Fire:

44woody
08-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Big slick I think the star is the best way to go i have the bullet feeder and the air thing for it but I never use them it's just as easy to keep up with every thing you do have to keep your mnd on what you are doing or you will get your finger pinched but you will only do that once then you will stay focused on what you are doing after that one thing i did do was take out the bar that you turn the lube pressure up with and put in a bolt in the top with a 1/4 drive ratchet to crank up the pressure with I have also herd of a man that put a steel plate there to put weight on the spring then he said he never had to mess with the lube pressure till the resevor was empty but I have not tried that yet :castmine: 44Woody

bobthenailer
08-04-2007, 07:19 AM
i have never used the bc but ive owned 2 stars for 20 + years with no break downs and ive lubed 100 of thousands of bullets with and without gas checks.
i would go with the star because they are more popular . bob