PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice!!

kbstenberg
02-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Last week I took possession of a used CZ 527 in 223. Today it blew up! Yup 2 pieces of the bolt were partially blown off of the bolt, and the magazine blew out the bottom. Pictures to follow.
Are my options for repair. A - bring the gun to a good local Gunsmith. B - send the gun back to CZ. I know nobody could give me an estimate for repairs without taking the gun apart. I'm just looking for my options
Yes I was shooting reloads. 8 grains Unique - 55 gr NOE RCBS 22-055 - Win SRP

altheating
02-23-2013, 08:50 PM
A good reason to wear shooting glasses and muffs!

UBER7MM
02-23-2013, 08:52 PM
kbstenberg,

Bloody shame that! You may have some warranty issues with the manufacturer being that you were shooting handloads. If it's just the external extractor and extractor band you may be able to find spare parts and fix it yourself. If I were fixing my gun, I'll want to check that the chamber hasn't been damaged. Go, No Go and Field Gauges are in order. My experience is with military Mausers. I believe, the CZ 527 is a deriviate. The point being that without the special extractor plyers the extractor is very difficult to slip onto a newly applied extractor ring when on the bolt.

I hope this helps,

Gtek
02-23-2013, 10:27 PM
At this point you have no idea what has happened internally. I suspect there is going to be some set back at minimum and that in my world would mean I have a scope/mounts/maybe stock and call it a blessing and move on. Count yourself a lucky man. Gtek

flounderman
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Just what blew? what is the condition of the case? There shouldn't have been a lot of damage with that load. was it a case of the primer being loose and the gas came back thru the flash hole. Was the case difficult to remove? The damage seems to be limited to the extractor. You had some gas escape but where did it escape from? It is hard to make an educated guess without examining the rifle but I don't see serious damage.

MtGun44
02-26-2013, 10:49 PM
May be no damage beyond the extractor. Get it checked out by a good gunsmith or the
factory if you don't have a good one around. If you are handy, you may be able to get it open
and see how much was damaged.

Mausers are very strong, and this may just be a blown case and then blowing off the extractor,
with nothing else bad going on. Maybe with a new extractor ring and extractor you will be
good to go - hard to tell at this point.

My guess is a double charge, or worse.

Bill

fouronesix
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Advice?- take it to a good gunsmith to get it apart, replace the parts then check it for damage and correct headspace. The case that's still in the chamber- may shed some light on what happened.

To me it looks like gas damage. Caused by case failure or over charge or both.

kysunfish
03-04-2013, 06:00 AM
It might have fired out of battery if it blew the mag out. It was more than just spitting gas. Did you notice if the bullet left the barrel???? I would be looking at the firing pin and spring. Once upon a time I had one go off before the bolt was down and it just about took off a finger. I was lucky and you are as well. Sunfish

johnnybar
03-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Is the original CZ barrel on it or has it been rebarreled?