PDA

View Full Version : 10 cavity H&G mold

bones37
02-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Today I went to the local pusher to exchange a broken hammer-type boolit puller, and on my way down the isle to get the new puller off the shelf, I happened to glance at the area where they keep a small amount of boolit casting stuff, and lo and behold, there lay a Hensley & Gibbs(of Murphy, Oregon) 10 cavity mold, complete with handles in 9mm, specifically the 115 bevel base, .357" dia. Needless to say I grabbed it up and didn't let go until out the door. Did I do good for $125 plus tax??

Oh and I'm not able to post any pics yet, maybe later on.

bones37

Edubya
02-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I paid more than double that for my 9 Lb behemoth. Takes a whole lot of preheating and start off by casting just a few at a time 'til the whole mold gets heated up. A little bit of patience will have you smiling at the end of your casting time.

EW

Le Loup Solitaire
02-24-2013, 01:39 AM
Really a good price paid for a good mold...a good hard to find item. If its in good shape then its worth much more. Once you get it up to speed the production rate is unbelievable. Needs preheating and then a series of pours to get all cavities on the same page. It might help you to arrange for a mold support/guide as 10 cavities empty and certainly when filled with lead can really work on your wrist after a while. One thing that you will notice with H&G is the very low rate of rejects. LLS

FISH4BUGS
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
The 10 cavity H&G moulds are the best. heavy, yes.....don't even try to cast without a mould guide....your elbows won't be the same for months....go ahead....ask me how I know.
What is the mould number? San Diego Or Oregon?
The other posters are correct.....it takes about 6 or 7 full castings to bring up to temp.....maybe a few more.....but once it is up to temperature, look out.....you can do a thousand bullets in one sitting.....easily.....
It will empty a a 20 lb lee pot in a very short time. Keep lots of ingots ready....preheat the ingots on the top of the pot while you are casting.....keep the sprue cuttings handy and dump them into the pot about every 10 casts or so.
You will be spoiled.....the bullets will drop like rain......once you get the rhythm going it is a dream to cast with.
I got spoiled years ago. I bought a 10 cavity S55 for the 380 mac subgun and a 10 cavity 9mm for the other subguns and it just went downhill from there. I have cut back to mostly 6 and 4 cavity H&G moulds now.
Enjoy.....you did very, very well.

bones37
02-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys. I jumped on it as soon as I saw it sitting there, especially for what it was priced.
I did what You all said, I preheated, and preheated some more, cast 4 or 5 rounds with it and You all are right, it REALLY turns them out. I think I'm in love..

It is marked #115 b.b. .357", which is a 125 grain boolit with the bevel base, and so far the average measurement of the boolit is .3585"(measured with a Mitutoyo micrometer) using COWW as the alloy.

bones37

onehousecat
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
You did much better than good. A couple of years ago, I bid twice that for the same type mold on fleaBay... and got out bid.