PDA

View Full Version : Collet Bullet Pullers - Opinions wanted

Jeff R
02-23-2013, 09:28 AM
I have been a boolit caster for a few weeks. A buddy of mine who has cast for years told me, “You will come to despise copper.” Now that I have seen the silver stream, I can see how it can happen. I have over a thousand rounds of 30.06 loaded with J-bullets, and I would like to pull the bullets and reload the cases with Boolits.

I almost bought the Hornady Collet Bullet puller, but numerous reviews mentioned that the lever/handle on the top was prone to breakage. Now, on the internet, I have found the RCBS Collet Bullet Puller and the .30 cal collet, . . . IN STOCK! And, at a reasonable price too.

Do any of you have experience with the RCBS bullet puller? Does it have any weak links? I would like to avoid using my kinetic puller for that many rounds, because of some wrist/no cartilage/repetitive stress injury issues.

Thanks!
Jeff

Larry Gibson
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I've been using the RCBS collet puller (have most all the collets now) since '68. I have bulled a bajillion jacketed bullets with it and some cast. Most cast bullets however do no pull well with a collet puller. I most often (if the cartridge will stick the bullet up through the press sans a die) use side cutters and a press to pull cast bullets and the bullets go into a can for recasting. If I want to try to save the bullets I resort to the kinetic puller.

Larry Gibson

1Shirt
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Agree 100% with Larry G. Have RCBS Collet puller, and all (I think)of the collets purchased over time. Not real great on cast pistol blts, because of limited length of blt. Fine for long extending cast rifle if you don't want to save them. Excellent for most jacketed.
1Shirt!

M-Tecs
02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Jeff

I would just shoot them if they are cheap jacketed bullets(GI Ball) and then reload the brass.

You will probably be using different powder so you are just saving the primer. If they are good quality hunting or target bullets don’t damage them when you pull them as it will reduce the trade or resale value.

Kinetic pullers do the least damage but they are slow. Collect pullers don’t mark the bullet but the can make them out of round. My favorite is the Forster Super Faster pullers but they are discontinued. They leave a mark but it doesn’t affect accuracy.

If you pull your bullets are you trading or selling them. I might be interested in purchasing or trading. I live on the north side of Mpls. What type of jacked bullets are you pulling?

Thank, Joel

sparky45
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I have the Hornady Collet pullers and they are fantastic. I don't know how anyone could break the puller, it's made out of steel and if set properly takes very little effort to pull a bullet. I certainly like mine.

salpal48
02-23-2013, 12:24 PM
I have several Bullet pullers that I acquired over the years . Rcbs, Lyman, Forster and Herters. What i like about The RCBS and Lyman. They both share the same Collet sizes and interchange. Both of these leave no pull marks on the jackets. When using them with Hard cast , The results are generally the same.
Also off Rcbs . Forster and Herters share the same Collets. All of the above Collet are Cheap @ gun Shows .Some people don't know they will interchange
hope this is helpful

CATS
02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I like the Hornady puller, easy and quick. I am not too sure about tearing down fully functional loaded ammo. If is factory ammo someone that you know would probably pay a premium for it right now. You may do better by using pre-empted brass.

Recluse
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I have the Hornady Collet pullers and they are fantastic. I don't know how anyone could break the puller, it's made out of steel and if set properly takes very little effort to pull a bullet. I certainly like mine.

I have the Hornady and if one reads the instructions, it works flawlessly and with minimal effort.

However, I did NOT read the instructions and because a part was missing in the puller, tried cranking the handle to apply the torque on the bullet and ended up breaking the thing. Sent it back to Hornady with a terse note and had Steve Hornady himself and another family member jumping in somersaults trying to figure out what had happened.

They sent me a replacement and lo and behold, it had a part that wasn't in the first package I had purchased (at a large retailer--the puller had been re-packed, so it was probably returned but with incomplete parts).

I read the instructions, tried it and it was so easy I was shaking my head. Pulled a number of bullets of varying calibers (with the collets I had also bought), and have had zero problems since.

I wrote a letter of apology to Steve Hornady and he graciously accepted it and I've been loyal Hornady ever since.

Nothing against the RCBS as it works very well, just that my recent experience is with the Hornady puller.

:coffee:

Kevin Rohrer
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
This question has been asked before.

I have an RCBS one and it works well with jacketed bullets. Faster and quieter than a kinetic bullet puller.

LUBEDUDE
02-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I have an RCBS that works well also.

Ilike the idea of the Hornady lever.

Von Gruff
02-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I have had the Hornady collet puller for quite a few years and eventually the handle did break and being this far away from the Hornady return and replace possibility I tookm a few minutes and fixed it myself using a Stahlwillie spanner and it is now an unbreakable unit. A good thing about the Hornady is that the 44 cal collet will also work for my 404 while the 7mm collet also does double duty on my 6.5 and it will take the cast bullets as well.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Reloading%20etc/004-2.jpg

Jeff R
02-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Von Gruff - Nice job on the repair! Did you weld the end solid and re-create the cam shape with an appropriately placed hole?

All the ammo I am contemplating disassembling are handloads. The bullets were mainly 168 Sierra MK and Hornady 150 gr. Interlock SP hunting bullets. I did this in the 80's and early 90's and could never get replacement bullets for anywhere near the price I paid for them back then.
I would get no joy from shooting them off just to get the brass.

I just priced out the Hornady and the RCBS pullers, with 308 and 22 cal. collets, and the prices are so close as to be a non-factor. I'll have to sleep on it. Thanks to all you who answered my questions. Jeff

lightman
02-24-2013, 01:35 AM
I have had the RCBS for a number of years, and it works great. I have used a few others and see no difference with the way they work. I would buy what I could find. Lightman

scb
02-24-2013, 12:52 PM
I've used the RCBS puller for years with no problem. Have destroyed and thrown out 2 inertia pullers. Have always wanted to try one of these but don't know who sells them.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?159577-Broken-bullet-puller-by-Forster&p=1779540&viewfull=1#post1779540
Would seem to be much quicker - no collet to tighten. I never attempt to re-reload cast boolits they just get remelted so a pair of side cutters works good too.
Of course the best solution is to not load bad ammo. Thankfully about the only stuff I pull down now is ammo that I've acquired that I''m not absolutely certain of the loading. IE if it's not factory, and I didn't load it, it gets taken down.

walltube
02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Hornady.
I've pulled many, many mil-surp projectiles with nary a problem. All were 40+ year old cartridges with the cursed bitumen sealer. I destroyed an RCBS inertia puller after only five or so whacks on an unforgiving concrete floor.

But, you are wanting to dis-assemble more recently made handloads without the sealer. The inertia type may serve you well, if, you install a suitable cushion into the 'well' so as to not damage the b****t's tip. No marring of the jackets either.

I think that story about Hornady lever failure MAY have a molecule of truth because of the metal used in early examples. No failure here, mine is a later edition. Well, there Ya are, sport. You have some fine tool choices from which to pick.

Good luck,
Wt.

M-Tecs
02-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Have always wanted to try one of these but don't know who sells them.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?159577-Broken-bullet-puller-by-Forster&p=1779540&viewfull=1#post1779540
Would seem to be much quicker - no collet to tighten.

They are being discontinued so calibers choice is limited but you can not beat the price. http://www.forsterproducts.com/index.asp?category=28538

Between the 22 and 30 cal I have pulled +20K of GI ball with them. I really like them. Nothing is quicker.

scb
02-24-2013, 05:29 PM
M-Tecs thanks. Your right. For that price I ordered 10 .243's. I have access to a wire edm so converting them shouldn't be a problem. Just wish I could have gotten a 22 cal. Thanks again.

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
You kind of need both styles of pullers. I use my RBCS Hammer for pulling one or two at a time. I would go all the way to 10-15 if necessary.

If you are going to pull alot of bullets, then a collet puller is the answer. RCBS, Hornaday, Forester are all pretty much the same tool, and there is no significant advantage one has over the other.

Just pick one and get on with it.

Randy

Von Gruff
02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Von Gruff - Nice job on the repair! Did you weld the end solid and re-create the cam shape with an appropriately placed hole?

. Jeff

Jeff this was an openender/ring spanner and by grinding the end of the open ender flat, there is ample left to carefully grind the cam corner so the push rod is down when the lever is horozontal. An apropriatly placed hole is all that is left to do.

David2011
02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
No experience with the Hornady buy love my RCBS- even gave one to a friend for Christmas. He likes it, too. I keep an inertia puller around for boolits and j-words that can't be grabbed with a collet but despise using it.

David