PDA

View Full Version : Dies for neck sizing 7.62x39mm

Woodsrunner
02-23-2013, 09:07 AM
I recently purchased a bolt action 7.62x39mm (CZ527 Carbine) that I would like to start reloading for. I plan to load some cast bullets as well as jacketed ones. I know most all reloading components, tools, etc., are in short supply but cannot seem to find any of the companies that make dies offering dies to neck size only for .311 bullets which is what I need. Any suggestions? Thanks

Larry Gibson
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a Mini MK X mauser in 7.62x39 and faced the same dilema. Several alternatives were tried. All of which initially sized the neck down for .308 bullets and then depended on some means of case neck expansion which led to split necks and never having the right neck tension for the bullet in use. I then bit the bullet and went with the Redding bushing die. A bit spendy up front but I've not had any regrets since getting it. With a small (3- 4) assortment of bushings I can size the necks exactly to the neck tension I want (.001 - .002) for use with any bullets from .308 - .314. No neck expansion is needed and the Lee expander bells the case mouths perfectly for cast. I've not lost a single case since getting the Redding Bushing die. Accuracy is also excellent. If you decide on the bushing die let me know and I'll post the size bushings for it I use.

Larry Gibson

Woodsrunner
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Larry,
Thanks for the reply. Although I've reloaded various gauge shotgun shells for years, I'm really a novice at reloading for rifle. Could you list exactly what I would need to replicate what you have? You mention the Redding bushing die, then mention the Lee expander. Thanks,
Frank