PDA

View Full Version : A curious thought on ebay?

shooter93
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
First off...this is a simple question not a way to start an argument....I fully understand everyone being upset with ebay and not buying there any more. I'm wondering though how many have also quit using UPS since their shipping regulations on legal handguns was changed or who quit buying from Wal-Mart entirely too. Personally I quit using UPS then...request all people shipping anything to me not to use them and the only thing wally world gets from me is perscription drugs....my ins. company set up with them. It can get pretty painful or nearly impossible to find other sources for goods we buy at this rate. Maybe we should pay the price and keep it up. Just wondering guys.....like to hear your thoughts.

Blackwater
08-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, it's amazing to me how little I miss things I never see. Won't go to ebay, so won't miss a dang thing. Ain't it funny how that works?

Jack Stanley
08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I support your desire to boycott anyone you choose . I have choosen to not support several companies for the decisions they have made . Others tell me how futile it is and one person can never make a difference ...... on them the concept of principle and sticking together is lost . I don't buy from china-mart either and I look for American products first and slave countries last .

Jack

Harpman
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I stopped going to walmart when I seen China miliatry run, slave labor manufacturing for walmart products, it made me sick to my stomach. I know I will not matter to walmart, but I know I am not contributing to the torture and slave labor of another human..there is some really serious crap going on over there.

PatMarlin
08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I'll keep doing business with eBay period. I don't mind other people's views on the subject but for me ebay is a necessity as I live in the remote outback and have to order just about everything. Selling to generate some dollars at times is a necessity also. Ebay saves me big time and money, so that's that.

I need ebay to keep my business running. Lots of companies have stupid gun policies, but I can't allow my family to suffer by standing on principal of this scale of stupidity expressed by eBay. If it was worse than maybe.. :roll:

Sometimes you have to deal with the devil for a paycheck.. :roll:

OeldeWolf
08-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Actually, a lot of what I have gotten off of ebay was gun parts, what I could not find on gunparts.com. So automatically, my use of ebay will be severely curtailed. Which I would do anyway, after this policy change.

I only go to wally-world for meds, as I do nto wish to buy cheap chinese goods. Nor cheap American goods, either. So I avoid wally-world, as I disagree with their business practices and ethical lapses already.

Anyway, neither will see that much of me from now on, I guess.

Bret4207
08-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Around here it's Walmart or nothing. Actually the "Mom and Pop" stores that used to be around we horrible as far as prices, service and quality. They carried low quality goods at outrageous prices and didn't give a crap if you liked it or not. They were the only game in town, so eat was fish or cut bait.

It doesn't matter anymore to me where something is made or how. Those people in China need to eat and any job is better than none.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
08-02-2007, 06:46 AM
I sell on e-bay, for me it is a matter of making the $200 or so a month extra that make it possible for me to be "retired" untill the rest of my pensions comes in 9/08.[smilie=1:
As others have said, e-bay does provide access to products that simply can not be found in rural areas, for me it's 50 mile roundtrip to a "real" grocery store,hardware or pharmacy.
I do not agree with the policy change, but it is their game and they are so big that I doubt they will hear our protests.:(
Nick

leftiye
08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
To me, it's real simple- are we smart enough to quit giving economic support to those who are actively trying to abolish the 2nd amendment and who are also trying to make it a nightmare to get the materials we need to pursue our legitimate interests. Do you think we can afford to continue making the enemy rich?

Harpman
08-02-2007, 01:22 PM
it was on the news, people in china are being kidnapped and forced to labor for american companies, not a tin foil idea, it is real, and buying those products makes us a part of it...demand, supply etc..for some reason most americans just dont give a dam about those people.

pjh421
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I have no quarrel with anyone who wishes to continue to use eBay. In my personal situation, not supporting them is feasible. I tend to look for American made products and generally favor them over foreign things just because if there is money to be made on a sale, I would prefer that someone who has a value system (in gross, general terms) similar to my own, receive the profit.

I can't quite accept that if given the chance, someone from here would choose to enslave me and my family, commandeer my possessions and destroy my culture. It has been demonstrated without equivocation that communist regimes will do just that. So, if I can divert business from them I do.

Having said that, I do find it necessary on ocassion to buy things at both Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight. Once when I had been fired from a job I found it necessary to replace the tranny fluid pan seal on my station wagon. The outside temp must have been about 5* and I had to do the work on my driveway. I started with a socket and ratchet. After about 2 bolts I caved-in and bought a pneumatic ratchet. Sears wanted about $90. Harbor Freight took $15. There are numerous other examples we can cite.

So, if someone needs to use a source staffed by people we don't agree with...its fine by me. Our personal situations are each unique. I'm sure that given our devotion to freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and our country we will all make good decisions as best we can.

Paul

Harpman
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
What makes it hard also is the fact that alot of ingredients are brought here from china then mixed with USA material, goes for food, chemicals, vitamins, hardware etc, just on the vitamin C market the Chinese flooded our market with cheap priced vitamin C, the government didn't help our local makers, so china got almost the whole market, then raised prices dramatically, higher than what they were before, realize were not just talking vitamin C tablet vitamins, but C for countless foods we eat every day, tons and tons of stuff you wouldn't realize..the list of this stuff goes on for ever....really all we can do is look for the made in china label, and often they dont use the labels..Wallstreet Journal has some good stories on this stuff, but it usually gets buried in the back if reported at all..they dont want to rock the stock market by letting us in on their corrupt illegal practices overseas..I seen another report on how American business, Levi for one, is turning Mexico into a giant cesspool, even worse than what it was...waste pumped into rivers etc

http://www.laogai.org/news/newsdetail.php?id=2864

Chinese courts handed down harsh sentences last week for a large number of defendants for the roles they allegedly played at Shanxi Province brick kilns that were relying on slave labor, including child workers.

Like other chilling cases emerging from China, this has highlighted daunting problems at the most fundamental level of Chinese society, giving outsiders a glimpse at the routine abuses behind the veil of rapid economic growth.

But a few aspects of the Shanxi case stand out. It is clear that forced labor, including children, is prevalent in China. Hundreds of slaves were rescued after more than 40,000 police were mobilized to scour more than 3,000 brick kilns operating without a business license.

Some of these workers have since told of the trauma of being taken to the kilns by force, where they labored under inhumane conditions.

Even children were not spared cruel, inhuman treatment. It was the presence of children at the kilns that eventually mobilized a rescue effort. Hundreds of desperate parents pleaded with the Chinese government for help when they had reason to believe they had been kidnapped

The parents accused local police and government officials of turning a deaf ear to their pleas and eventually colluding with the kilns in half-hearted "searches" for the missing children. Only a dozen children were found in the end, and parents and their supporters believe a large number of slaves -- most of which were minors -- were relocated before police searched the premises.

Since the Shanxi case has come to light, human rights groups and other observers have emphasized that child labor in China is not unique to illegal kilns in one province. They warn that this is simply the tip of the iceberg

BOOM BOOM
08-02-2007, 03:58 PM
HI,
I don't buy anthing made by hewett pacard because of there donations to anti gun organizations.
I will not have any of my money ending up in the anti gun coffers if i can help it.

G. Blessing
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Live and let live I say. If we bitch about their being anti gun, then it just gives them all the more cause for ******** about us being pro gun.

Are you going to stop shopping at a clothing store just because they don't sell a color you like? Get that color else where, and what you want to there.

I'll get my gun parts elsewhere, and continue my other buissness at the 'bay. I can't address the other two examples, as I don't like WM for other un-related reasons, and UPS lost too many packages years ago, for me to even consider their stand on firearms.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I see it as odd to stop dealing with a person/place/company, just because your opinions differ. Eventualy you'll run out of places and people to deal with.

my 0.01 worth..... not giving the other penny worth, It'd realy piss off some people.

Boomer Mikey
08-03-2007, 03:03 AM
As long as this is the United States of America people and businesses have the right to do as they wish as long as what they do is lawful. They don't need to be morally correct, ethically correct, or politically correct. This is some of the overhead we call the price of freedom.

Freedom of choice is one of the strongest attributes of our form of government.

In my opinion, one of our worst American attributes is the way we always seem find a reason for anything anyone does to offend us.

Boomer :Fire:

GLynn41
08-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I do not like what Ebay is doing but it will not change my life--I certainly have no problem with those who continue to use them --my fuss is with Ebay -- we--gun lovers and I am a proud one - are not likely a lot of their business -- I signed the petition and e-mailed and got the same e-mail back that every one else did but I did try to have my say--wonder where many or most will settle to buy an sell after all this...for all the fussing about Wally world - many big corps are using places such as china- Black and DEcker sent my son's job to china- and sent him home-- now he is using state funds and going to back to trade school --life goes on chinese proverb " may you be cursed to live in interesting times" and that we have

hunter64
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I am like alot of other comments so far, I buy gun parts that I can not find anywhere in Canada. The gun shops up here also have the attitude that they are the only tune in town and pay it or go to heck. I buy alot of parts off of Numrich but they don't have somethings that I can get on ebay, just wait awhile and the part will show up. I just think that the sale of parts will move to another site, someone else will pick them up because there is a market for them.