PDA

View Full Version : Wanted instruction manual for Antoino Zoli 1803 Harpers Ferry .58 cal

Neo
02-23-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi I am wandering if anyone has a instruction manual far a Antonio Zoli 1803 Harpers Ferry flintlock .58 cal and could scan copy of it and send me a copy or if anyone knows where I could obtain a copy.

Thanks from Ian. :castmine:

fouronesix
02-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Sorry, don't have one. But in reality the instruction manual that would come with one would be pretty basic. Between this site, other muzzleloader sites, google search, amazon (for books), etc., you'll get a whole lot more detailed information about shooting and maintenance than from the instruction manual. All muzzleloaders operate the same way and all flintlocks have their own personalities. Before shooting, firmly set in your mind the best cleaning method. Then it's just a matter of getting a good cleaning rod w/ correctly sized jag, some lead balls or a mold, some BP, some patching material and some flints. Roundballs about .562" seem to work for PRB loads in most 58 caliber rifles.

If you can?? find someone in your area that is familiar with flintlock muzzleloaders.

One of the biggest problems you may encounter with any flintlock is consistent spark. Get some flints that are the right size for the gun and do some dry firing in a darkened room. If you don't get a good shower of tiny fireballs/sparks hitting directly into the pan then that will HAVE TO BE worked on before any hope for reliable firing.

In any case, good luck! The M1803 is a very interesting blend of designs.

StrawHat
02-23-2013, 07:03 AM
A few of us have that rifle, what do you want to know? Not many of us on the forum are shy or few of words.

I have one I got back in the 70s. Someone used it to "John Wayne" a door so I needed to whittle a new stock for it. I use a 560 ball and patch combination over 80 grains of powder. It is a good deer rfile.

Neo
02-23-2013, 07:39 AM
A few of us have that rifle, what do you want to know? Not many of us on the forum are shy or few of words.

I have one I got back in the 70s. Someone used it to "John Wayne" a door so I needed to whittle a new stock for it. I use a 560 ball and patch combination over 80 grains of powder. It is a good deer rfile.

Well I have never shot black rifle yet this my first one and I was looking the recommended loads for it as I don't want make any mistakes with it like over charging the rifle I am try to get as much information as I can before I shoot it, It came with 50 minne bullets but I would like to cast my own Minnes and round ball bullets I have noticed that even though its .58 cal people use different size balls and minne bullets so I am a little bit confused about this.and I am not sure what moulds to buy.i use cast bullets in my 30/30 and 357 mag rifle the sizes are .309 for my 30/30 and .358 for my 357 mag so you can see why I am bit confused when it comes to black powder muzzle loaders.

fouronesix
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Try doing and concentrating on the most basic parts of shooting the muzzleloader first, then your own cumulative experience data base will serve you better than trying to follow a precise formula of some sort to achieve instant sub-MOA accuracy or long range shooting or other objective. Modern cartridge loading/shooting and blackpowder muzzleloader loading/shooting are two entirely different things.

I know you'll read about certain loads and components and such that are someone else's pet loads for this, that or the other. Loading and shooting a blackpowder muzzleloader is so basic and simple of design that it's probably best to start basic and build up on your own rather than leap frog to some "magic" load.

Learn to clean/maintain them first. Figure out how to make the flint spark reliably into the pan next. Load a simple light charge with minie or PRB next. Then shoot a few. With all my muzzleloaders I start with either a PRB or minie over a charge that is more or less equal to bore diameter. With the larger bores 58, 69, etc., I prefer to start with FF blackpowder and somewhat less than a charge equal to caliber. For the 58 cal there is nothing wrong with using a charge of 40-50 gr of FF blackpowder to start with for either a PRB or minie. Use very soft lead for the minie.

And go ahead and experiment with the paper cartridge idea. For accurate shooting, the paper cartridge is somewhat problematic because the paper is less forgiving in taking up the space between the projectile and the bore. Anyway, just go shoot!

StrawHat
02-23-2013, 11:24 PM
I only use a PRB in any of my muzzleloaders, so I an offer some insight on them. THe cloth patch is merely a gasket that helps the lead ball better fill the bore. It aids you in loading the round ball otherwise you would need to "pound" the ball down the bore to get a good fit. The patch allows you to use a smaller ball and still achieve accuracy. Powder charges, well they can be all over. I have settled on 80 grains as it provides the power I need and accuracy I can live with. I use FFFg powder, but FFg is also good. The lock of your rifle may require some attention, but that can be addressed if it is required. Are there any muzzleloading clubs in your area? THat would be a good way to learn, from someone else who is doing the same thing you are and can show you how it is done.

There was a good article, written by Ross Seyfried, called "Learning to Flint", it dealt with a lot of the myths and facts needed to get a flintlock up and running. If you can find it, it is worth reading.