PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe this - molds stolen

Artful
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/111015-tombstone-boolit-works-out-business-forseeable-future.html

Tombstone Boolit works out of business
Just wanted to post this for anyone that ordered from me in the past, I am not going to be able to continue making boolits for a while. I was doing some routine maintenance on my molds, cleaning them real good and had to take my wifes aunt to the hospital because she has pneumonia and when I got back my molds were gone..... all except the newest one (the 405 flat base mold) I have no way to purchase more molds at this time (no income) I will let you all know if I ever do get some money to afford new ones and then I will be able to start pouring again.

Thanks to all who ordered and for all the great compliments on my boolits.

Doc Holliday
Ojai Ca.

Someone who would steal a man's molds - all you California casters keep an eye out.

x101airborne
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
I hope one of those ol California Cowboys catches him.
And I am not making a joke. Those ol school California Cowboys were hard as granite if you crossed em. I hope someone gets to know the thieves personally.

jmort
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM
So very wrong. Just one reason California blows.

Love Life
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
That is low.

Frank46
02-23-2013, 12:22 AM
What's probably the worst part is that they are probably sitting in a ditch someplace because who ever took them can't get enough for his next fix and chucked them. Frank

smoked turkey
02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Man that is awful. Sure hate to hear of some trash stealing like that. My Ruger LCP was taken about a year ago and the law man said probably drugs involved. I imagine it sold for next to nothing. Bad feeling when a person is done that way.

WILCO
02-23-2013, 06:25 AM
What's probably the worst part is that they are probably sitting in a ditch someplace because who ever took them can't get enough for his next fix and chucked them. Frank

I doubt it. With the current situation of supplies, those molds are in high demand.

P.K.
02-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I was just thinking of the ding-dong's who got pinched for swiping chicken wings. The rocket surgeon that swiped the molds prolly thought he was smelting silver....

41 mag fan
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
It was the Komifornia lead police that stole them!!

Ridiculous what thieves will steal for a dollar or a fix

Bill*
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
So very wrong. Just one reason California blows.

{start sarcasm} So True [smilie=1: I'm sure it wouldn't have happened in any other state {end sarcasm}

btroj
02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Where were they when they were stolen? Was anything else taken?
Was it a break in or a case of someone leaving items of value in plain sight outdoors?
Not trying to say it isn't a loss or that I feel bad for him but sometimes people invite trouble by doing dumb things. I don't leave valuable items outdoors unsupervised.

jmort
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
"... I'm sure it wouldn't have happened in any other state {end sarcasm}"

You are correct. We have a semi-monopoly on stupid not crime. I just like to bash my beloved state.

Lefty SRH
02-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Thats DAMN sorry! Hang em high!

Ickisrulz
02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Probably were sold as scrap metal somewhere.

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 12:17 PM
That's sad. What's sadder is it was likely someone he knows. Hope he figures out a way to get back in business soon, sounds like he's one of the good guys.

pls1911
02-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Few things in life are as disgusting as child molesters, abusers of women, and a simple petty thief.
My tolerance for this cr@p is pretty low.
Silent retribution with extreme prejudice is in order if you find the bastids.
And democrats.

km101
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Stealing a man's money is bad, but stealing his livelihood is terrible! No business and no way to get back in business. So wrong.

chsparkman
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Does anyone have any molds to loan this man to get him back in business?

P.K.
02-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Where were they when they were stolen? Was anything else taken?
Was it a break in or a case of someone leaving items of value in plain sight outdoors?
Not trying to say it isn't a loss or that I feel bad for him but sometimes people invite trouble by doing dumb things. I don't leave valuable items outdoors unsupervised.

I find this suspect as well, I treat mine as the tools they are, valuable. I lost the sprue plate set screw off a mold one time and walked into Lowes with the handles attached. Garnered a bit of attention.

Dunno if that's the way to go, things get "lost" that way. Auction or donations to get him some molds and at least on the way in the right dirertion.

Edubya
02-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Might want to keep a watch on Ebay for the size and other descriptions too. It might be someone that knew exactly what he was getting.

EW

sagamore-one
02-23-2013, 06:29 PM
If anyone has Doc's address I'd like to send him some alloy to help out.
Also... what moulds were taken. I may have a spare.

DLCTEX
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
What difference does it make if he left them out or not? Whoever took the moulds is a scumbag and should be shot. Around here a man expects things left out to be left alone. We don't criticize the owner if they are stolen, but the thief. This forum has an abundance of people who expect the best from people and are willing to give a helping hand. If you are not of this inclination you may find it uncomfortable here. I helped a fellow who had just moved here when his debit card was frozen due to unusual activity and the store couldn't take an out of state check. I had him write the check to me and paid for the groceries in cash. If the $40 check bounces it won't be that much of a loss, as I would have been willing to give him the money,but I haven't been burned yet on such things.

2HighSpeed
02-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Does he have a PayPal acct? I'd be willing to make a donation towards some new molds to help him get pouring again.

QUOTE=Artful;2074481]http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/111015-tombstone-boolit-works-out-business-forseeable-future.html

Someone who would steal a man's molds - all you California casters keep an eye out.[/QUOTE]

badbob454
02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
or cal guns website

DCM
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM

My first thought exactly.
With the price of scrap what it is and the fact that most folks have no clue what boolit molds are.

gray wolf
02-23-2013, 09:35 PM
OK, this has gone on for two pages now. I am probly the brok-est --poorest--old coot in the room
and I say we need to help this person. I mean if we don't we ain't who we say we are.
To me 10$$ is a lot but I will put it up. What do you other men think ?? Seem this is a helping hand up for sure.
All he wants is to be able to work for a living, After all casting many, many, bullets for a few bucks sure ain't sitting on your Arss.

jmort
02-23-2013, 09:40 PM
"To me 10$$ is a lot but I will put it up"

Me too, but I don't want to one-up you on playing the destitution card. I'm good for $10.00 if we can get link, Paypal ? to send $$$

gray wolf
02-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Hey, it's not hard to one up me, There are plenty of us in the same boat.

2HighSpeed
02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm not a man Mr. Grey Wolf but I'm good to send some cash through PayPal as well. Someone get his Paypal email and post it so we can help this feller out.

tiwimon
02-23-2013, 10:42 PM
I'd be crushed if that happened to me. As a new caster, I know the significant time and investment in choosing and buying the molds that each of us do. I'm in for $10

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
+1 on helping a fellow caster. I don't know him but if folks here do I'm in. Not everybody can or will cast their own boolits, this guy apparently did it mostly for the love of the art. Goodness knows it's hard to make a living pouring lead.

xs11jack
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Another place to check is the local Pawn Shops.
Jack

Bullshop
02-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Report it to the local law with a description of the missing molds, caliber, design ect. Check local pawn shops as that is the most likely place they will show up.
If they are located at a pawn shop report it to the local law for confiscation and --- EVENTUAL --- return.
I have found my stolen swage dies at a pawn shop so know you might also find your molds there too.

Gliden07
02-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Probably some "Anti" took um for the Obummer Agenda!!

hickfu
02-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Hey there guys, I live on my sisters 1 acre property in Ojai, I lost my home a few years ago when my pain got so bad I couldnt work any more so I had to sell the house before the bank took it. I was cleaning my molds like I do every time I end pouring and was outside on a picnic table near my Brother in laws work stuff, he is a general contractor so has alot of metal and lumber out back. We are having an epidemic of thefts of anything metal, they take it and sell at scrap yards. I had to leave with no notice to take my wifes aunt to the hospital because she fell 5 days before and no one took her to the dr. and she was complaining that she was having a hard time breathing. It took over 5 hours in the ER and my sister had a dr appointment as well so there was no one at home. All I can think is someone was looking for scrap metal, I asked my BIL but he was too busy to check if anything was missing of his stuff. I would want to know but he is under so much pressure I dont think he cared at that point.

On the Marlin Owners forum there are a bunch of great guys that have offered to help me get back up and running (love those guys) and Artful posted this here. Thanks Artful, I am just glad to see that people still do care in this crazy world, it has renewed my faith and I see it as a blessing.

And yeah I know "what was I thinking when I left my molds outside unattended" being my source of money..... all I can say is shear stupidity!!!

I didnt get into casting for money, I just wanted something to keep my hands from stiffening up and I posted a pic of my boolits on the Marlin Owners site and a couple friends on there ask about them, I sent them both out some to run through their Marlins and then said their groups were great and would I sell them some more. Then others started asking so I though I could have fun casting and keep some people from running out of ammo.

Doc

OeldeWolf
02-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Doc, I am not that well off either, and might be in your shape all too soon :)

But I may have a duplicate mould or two, that I can send you. No loan, just send you. I will gather up what I have, and go through it, tomorrow. Dd they get anything other than the moulds?

OeldeWolf

Kirk Miller
02-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Doc,

Doc, What happened is terrible. It's a terrible feeling to be taken advantage of. One most of us can relate to. I have three good molds that I'd like you to have. PM me your shipping address and I'll get them out next week.
Kirk

P.S. If you need some lead, I can help out there to

DLCTEX
02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Doc, what moulds do you need? Fellow casters want to help you get back to casting.

2HighSpeed
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Im good for some lead as well.

Thumbcocker
02-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Can you post a list of the stolen moulds? Lots of us have doubles of the more common moulds.

shooterg
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
I've engraved initials on a lot of things, but now realize that's a good idea for molds too !
May the thief rot in you-know-where ! And sure, somebody give us an addy, in for ten.

geargnasher
02-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Can you post a list of the stolen moulds? Lots of us have doubles of the more common moulds.

Yes, we need a detailed list, including any identifying marks, dings, custom hardware, screws, etc. There are thousands of us here shopping all over the internet and locally, might keep an eye out for anything that shows up. The moulds probably weren't stolen with intent to sell for their original purpose, but you never know.

Gear

Daddyfixit
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
It would be nice to show what a cast boolit does to verman first hand!
A list of whats missing would be nice, We have a lot of eyes & ears here maybe we could help find this low life.

gray wolf
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Still need some kind of address or a P-pal
I will send my 10 ski as soon as I have a place to P-Pal it, or use the PO

sparky45
02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
I'll donate to the cause if we get an acct. (Paypal or other).

Sparky45

hickfu
02-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Wow guys, I really appreciate all the help and for people saying that they will watch out for them. They were Accurate molds, 46-350V, 46-430V and 46-540V. No dings that I know of but there were heat marks all over them.... not a good description I know. I have the handles and screws because I took them off before trying to clean them and they were locked up in the shed (should have put the molds away in there before I left) but the wife was scared for her aunt so I rushed out not thinking. I appreciate people looking out for them but I with geargnasher, I dont think they were took for casting use. We have a big problem around here with people taking ANYTHING they can get money from the scrap yards. They know that the evidence will be melted so they dont care.
My paypal is socalmonzaguy@yahoo.com I sure hope that someday I can return the generosity that has been shone to me here and on Marlin Owners. I hope I am in a better position some day when the next person needs help.

edit: shooterg, That is a very good idea and wish I would have thought of that. When I get new molds I will be ingraving something on them to make them easier to identify and then take pics of them. Great Idea! thanks

Thank you,
Doc

km101
02-24-2013, 04:26 PM
OK, I'm in for ten! How about the rest of you guys?

km101
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
OK, I'm in for ten! How about the rest of you guys? Paypal sent!

trooperdan
02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
PP sent

tiwimon
02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
PP sent

hickfu
02-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Thank you guys!!! I think I have enough now to replace the molds, you are a wonderful bunch. And thank you guys that offered to send me molds, That was a great gesture and I really appreciate it. I would never want to take a mold away from someone that uses them. I am going to be back in business soon because of people like you guys :drinks:
And this time I am going to mark them, take pics and last of all LOCK THEM UP when I leave.... Im just glad I had the shed locked... it had a few of my guns in there.

Doc

Sweetpea
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Just sent some your way.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Brandon

2HighSpeed
02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
PayPal just sent.

Randy C
02-25-2013, 12:38 AM
How do I send some money
I tried the link but it was email not Pay pal

gray wolf
02-25-2013, 11:12 AM
PayPal sent......

Hope it helps.

GW and Julie

Lance Boyle
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM

That was my first thought. We have lots of thefts of valuable items where the junkies either sell expensive stuff for pennies at the scrap yard or damage property to pull a few scrap items. Our radio repair shop was broken into and several new repeater station units were being set up in their cabinets, in fact the work was done. Well the tweaker smashed them apart for the bits of metal wires. About $40k of taxpayer property dammaged for about $5 of scrap metal out of those units. Rolls of wire brand new taken, all taken to the scrap yard. Same idiots were stealing man hole covers off the public streets.

Yep, I'd donate about a 158 grains of lead each.

Randy C
02-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Thank you paypal sent.

OeldeWolf
03-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Ok, I got paid, so I have sent a tenner your direction.
I have nothing in my few, in the caliber you are casting, so I pp'ed you instead.

Springfield
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
PP sent, buy some Pb with it. I'd send you some but this is cheaper, no shipping!

GARCIA
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM

I have had dealings with the individual that had his molds taken.
I offered up to him two replacement mold of almost the same identical weight.
One was an exact copy of one of the stolen molds and the other was 25grs lighter.
They were declined by the individual. On the other site a collection was done up for him that resulted in him being able to purchase molds from Tom@accurate molds.
Good set of guys on that other site just as there is here.

Tom

hickfu
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping out when I was in need and I hope to one day return the favor and help someone else that needs it. Tom, I could not take a mold away from anyone and I thank you for your generous offer. I ordered molds from Accurate and then should be here in a few weeks and I will be able to start casting again.

Again, Thank you to all of you and please... no more donations, save them for the next person that needs help. I know I will.

Doc