PDA

View Full Version : Convert LP Fryer to NG?

cohutt
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I use a Bayou classic high pressure fryer for smelting, works pretty well. Still, I'm always looking to make things easier (ie I'm getting lazier).

I have a natural gas line tapped off with a valve right there so it would be a no brainer to rig up a NG connection for the fryer if i could swap out the regulator.

Anyone done this? I'm pretty sure I could find a normal regulator to put on it but i was wondering if the high pressure LP cookers can convert. Seems like they operate at 15 or 20 psi and the gas pressure in the NG system is less than 10 or even 5/
would i be setting up an inefficient soot flamer?

Pepe Ray
08-02-2007, 12:08 AM
It is practical to convert but should be done by a gas service techy. as I recall NG service pressure AT THE METER are measured in inches of water on a water column. (monometer?) Not only must this be adjusted but the oriface must be changed. Yes you can do it but get a pro.
Pepe Ray

MT Gianni
08-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Current thought is appliances must be listed by manufacturer as to the gas that it burns and any conversion to a non listed fuel voids all warrenty's and leaves you liable for any future incidents. It is almost impossible to find any one to do it for you that understands this. The basics would be changing the orifice to one with a similar burn rate for Nat. Gas, setting a regulator for proper pressure and derating for altitude if over 2000 feet elevation. I did this for a living for 26 years before moving to a different phase of utility work and have not seen fit to do it with my turkey fryer if that id any comfort. I can't see the savings for my smelting being over the cost of 2 tanks of LP per year at max. Gianni

Lee
08-02-2007, 03:58 AM
So the short $24 question is this;

1. What might those typical pressures be for NG and Propane.
2. What sizes of orifice might be needed(OR, which one usually takes a larger orifice)

Hope this doesn't open a can 'o worms, but I have a pressing reason for asking this.....................Lee:wink:

cohutt
08-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Or, I could buy another 20lb LP tank as a back up..........

:-D

I hate it when there is still a pile of lead to process and I notice there is ice on the bottom 3 inches of the LP bottle. About that time the heat delivered by the fryer starts falling off dramatically with the drop in pressure.

Thanks for the posts guys, any additional input is welcome. I googled a little and there are "kits" sold for some fryers but it appeared specific to that brand, which wasn't the brnad or type i have.

C A Plater
08-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Camp Chef makes a natural gas conversion kit for cookers. It is basically just a hose and natural gas has less energy than propane so you may have to turn up the flame or take a bit longer to do the melt.

BABore
08-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Since your talking just a plain ole turker fryer burner, it's mainly just orifice size. Natural gas uses a larger size than propane. If you know the BTU rating and current orifice size, I could probably ask my Heating & Cooling buddy and he could look it up. It would require you to get a small orifice drill bit to make the change. Your best bet would be to stop by at your local heating & cooling contractor with your burner in hand. They could most likely fix you right up for a beer or two. A decent heating guy would probably have the proper size etched in his gray matter.

MT Gianni
08-02-2007, 07:34 PM
So the short $24 question is this;

1. What might those typical pressures be for NG and Propane.
2. What sizes of orifice might be needed(OR, which one usually takes a larger orifice)

Hope this doesn't open a can 'o worms, but I have a pressing reason for asking this.....................Lee:wink:

LP burner pressures should be 10-11 inches water column
Mat burner pressures should be 3.5"wc
Since Nat Gas moves with less pressure it requires a bigger hole usually listed in a numbered drill bit. Drill at least 1 size smaller because of drill wobble. You will need to re-reg if you do this if you want any effiency at all ant to prevent flames starting in the venturi or floating past the burner. If you redrill there ain't no going back unless you can find another orifice and most kits do not cover any thing other than furnace or water heater orifices. Gianni

cohutt
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I saw the camp chef conversion; couldn't find a manual online so i posted here...

Thinking about it, I've gotten to where I like the mega heat of my fryer and am not sure i'd want to drop it down too much. I assume NG would be similar to the last bit of the LP bottle, with much lower pressure and less heat but still functional for a good while.

BTW I'm using a 175000 btu "bayou classic" or something like that. I know where a busted/rusted gas grill is that I can grab the LP bottle from, so i think I'll just stay with LP & 40 lbs instead of 20.

BUT... if someone finds the easy $3 conversion, by all means post it. :mrgreen:

Arnie
08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
When your tank freezes up set it in warm water and it will take off again. Arnie

exblaster
08-03-2007, 10:30 AM
When your tank freezes up set it in warm water and it will take off again.
Arnie

I use an old sun tanning lamp to warm my LP bottle . It has a timer so I don't forget to turn it off.
Exblaster

Edward429451
08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
LP is 10-11" supply pressure and 5-7" manifold pressure.

NG is 5-7" supply pressure and 3.5-5" manifold pressure.

I must not be a good heater guy cause I'm not positive about the orifice size. I'm thinking a #42 but it really depends on how many BTU's you need. I can look it up.

I've drilled many orifices, it's not that big of a deal. Yes it changes the UL listing and sets you up for the legal liability, so don't go doing it for other people. But it's the same reasoning that says any reloads will void the warranty of your firearm.

People used to be able to do these things for themselves until lawyers and morons came along. The thing to watch for is keeping the hole straight (not hard with a pilot hole already there) and not leaving any burrs on the orifice. If you botch it, orifice blanks are available, take the old one with you to match the threads. Your 3.5" to 5.0" regulator will cost you about 5 to 7 bucks.

This conversion is not nearly as dangerous of a proposition as doing it to a furnace or WH because the burner is open and has nothiong to soot and back up CO into your house.

mazo kid
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
We have a 500 gallon LP tank, don't know what the pressure thru the regulator into the house is. We bought a gas range several years ago and I had to change out the orifices from NG to LP. Check out gas appliance dealers; they may have new/used orifices on hand. Emery

cohutt
08-03-2007, 02:01 PM
You guys keep changing my mind back to NG dang it.

Lee
08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm probably going from NG to propane, so it's nice to know I can change at least (some) of my appliances over....................Lee:wink: