PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Wheelgun.

Jethro
02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
I have been looking for a Ruger Vaquero in 38-40 / 40 S&W but have given up since so very few were made, there is not one turning up every day. I have decided to go in another direction. I'm looking for suggestions on Who you would recommend that makes a good shooting SAA clone that can be purchase in 38 wcf and not have to wait on for 6 to 8 months.

I know that Colt, Uberti, USFA used to make them but don't know if they still do and don't know of others. Things have gotten a little squirelly since our government stimulated the economy by talking about confiscation our firearms.

Any suggestions will be considered and welcome.

9.3X62AL
02-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Jethro--

About a month ago, I bought a Uberti Cattleman (Colt SAA clone) in 44-40 WCF chambering. This is the second such revolver I've owned, and both have been excellent shooters despite their pricing at less than half that of the 'original' Colts. The prior example was in 45 Colt. I am very sorry I parted company with that first CM. I won't re-make that mistake.

Uberti sometimes lists the less mainstream caliber variants as being available. My understanding from a SHOT Show contact a few sessions back is that Cimarron Arms tends to sell most of the examples made or sold by Uberti in the less popular calibers. They do list such items on their site. Had I not stumbled over my recent CM from Uberti, that is the route I planned to take to fill that hole in the safe.

Colt shows their SAA in its original calibers as being available. At a pretty stiff price. They DO make them right, and if I had the wherewithal to water my houseplants with Dom Perignon a Colt would figure highly in my plans. I like the Uberti, though--its dimensions are VERY correct, and it shoots castings accurately and reliably without a hint of bore leading.

runfiverun
02-23-2013, 12:59 AM
i can't remember if usfa makes them in 38-40 or not.
if they do i wouldn't hesitate to buy one in blue and color case.

here's a story on those rugers.
i walked in a shop one saturday morning and seen them putting a 38-40/40 nickle plated ruger in the case.
it almost hit the wood in the cabinet before i bought it.
i took it with me out to my pops place to show it to him.
when i got there, he say's you should see what i got yesterday.
yep the consecutive numbered one.
i let him trade me out of mine a couple of years ago for an engraved 44 mag which i swapped off for a 44 special blackhawk.
i still have to reload for the pair of them 38-40's [the 40 cylinders have never been used]

Jethro
02-23-2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the input, I will look into the Cimmaron. We have a Uberti dealer less than 10 miles from where I live and I plan on talking to him tomorrow (or I guess it is today already). He is on the look out for something for me in the 38-40. Congrats on getting the Ruger 38-40. I think in the near future, those things will be very valuable and I want the pistol that I get to be a shooter not something I will feel guilty about shooting.

9.3X62AL
02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
The Rugers are certainly much stronger than the Colt/USFA/Uberti SAA variants. Very scarce, though--and priced stratospherically. I think I gave just a few cents either side of $475 for the NIB 44-40 Pasta Colta.