PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Rifle Shooting Sport?

W.R.Buchanan
02-22-2013, 08:02 PM
OK since we have the Favorite Pistol Shooting Sport lets do the same thing for Rifles.

I'll start:

My new favorite is Three Gun Tactical Shooting. Previously it was Silhouette both short and long range as well as rimfire.

In the tac matches You get to rip off a bunch of rounds in short order(as short an order as you can muster)shooting at reactive steel targets. Shooting fast is really fun as long as you can hit what you're aiming at.

This usually invloves use of a Semi Auto rifle such as an AR, AK or Mini14. I am using my Kel-Tec SU16CA which is a .223. However any gun will do, the reloading of the weapon being the most time consuming part of using such a gun. However just because you are shooting a lever gun doesn't mean you can't learn to load it pretty fast. Also when translated to the Street, a guy with a levergun who could load it quickly and run the gun and be accurate would be just as big a threat as someone with an AR.

What this competition consists of is a course of targets you must engage with your rifle, shot gun and pistol. It usually involves reloading by changing mags or stuffing more rounds thru the loading gate. This sport can be done with pump or semi auto shotguns, or you could even do it with a double barrel shotgun, a bolt, lever, pump or semi auto rifle and a semi auto pistol or revolver, and yes a DA revolver can be reloaded just as fast or faster than a auto pistol. (See Jerry Michelek).

The sport is really just a modern version of Cowboy Action Shooting so people who do that already should do well.

I also like the silhouette games but they are more about precision than speed. I think the speed factor simulates the real world application of the game as a training function more than any other single factor.

What do you think? :Fire:

Randy

Bullshop
02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Coyote hunting.

Huntducks
02-23-2013, 03:16 AM
Antelope & Elk hunting

nhrifle
02-23-2013, 03:41 AM
I am an avid Highpower competitor. Nothing gets my blood going like hearing, "The line is ready. Shooters! Lock and load!"

zomby woof
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Highpower

27judge
02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I like shooting beer/soda cans and ritz crackers at 50 ft to 50 yards with all my rifles and my two grandsons . Great sport and fun.Hand a teenage boy a 30-06 in a bolt gun or a 300 blackout in a ar15 a box of cast bullets and standback and enjoy yourself.tks ken

Shiloh
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Mine has changed over the years. Did a lot of defensive and practical pistol years ago. as well as high power. With the knee problems, getting into position for high power took a lot of time. Now, casual shooting and the plate range get a lot of my time.

Shiloh

bmiller
02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Three gun is an adrenaline rush! I just wish it was not so expensive!

**oneshot**
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
NRA 22 silhouette.

TJF1
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Anything that involves firearms
terry

FAsmus
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Gentlemen;

Nothing gets it like long range shooting with cast bullets.

Our closest target is 350 yards - and it is the "Offhand" target. Then things go on out to 834 yards in 10 irregular steps.

No benchrest shooting is done either, all shots are from the cross-stick rest or offhand.

This, I put it to you, is a rifleman's game.

Good morning,
Forrest

Bent Ramrod
02-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Black powder cartridge shooting. Mostly long range gong shoots but I sometimes go to silhouette shoots as well. It stretches your capabilities in every way possible. You have to know how to cast and lubricate boolits, load cartridges properly, shoot well and manage the nuances of black powder while you are shooting. Any shortfall in any one of these areas shows up pretty quickly downrange.

dverna
02-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Anything that does not use blackpower.

RobS
02-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Boom.................Bang with a cast boolit. Primarily mid/upper end 375 H&H loads at metal plates but also varmints and such. I also enjoy pinging golf balls at 100 yards..........Poof.

dale2242
02-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Varmint shooting. Sage rats first. Predator calling next....dale

Reverend Recoil
02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Highpower rifle competition. Camp Perry during CMP week is as good as it gets.

Shiloh
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Anything that does not use blackpower.

Yep. ;)

Shiloh

DLCTEX
02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Shooting prairie dogs!

Area Man
02-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Service rifle is my favorite so far. I'm dying to try bpcr silhouette and three gun but no matches close by

Triggernosis
02-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Highpower rifle competition. Camp Perry during CMP week is as good as it gets.
+1
Make that Highpower Service Rifle for me, though.
If I could only shoot cast bullets in the AR-15 and remain competitive....