PDA

View Full Version : 38-spl brass

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I was recently given a large number of once fired nickle plated 38 spl cases with the head stamp 3-d. Could someone tell me what that stands for?

Artful
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
3D was a remanufacturer of ammo (aka commercial reloader) in the midwest and is/was using anyone's brass at one time then I think got Hornady to make brass with their headstamp.

little Googlage shows the president and founder of 3-D died and probably his company with him. But his company produced reliable ammunition.
I am sad to see the demise of 3-D because they were a reliable source of quality ammo for shooting enthusiasts.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Artful.

TXGunNut
02-22-2013, 09:38 PM
IIRC 3D was good brass, don't recall seeing nickle brass because I didn't generally load them. Their ammo was OK but they used a gummy lube, same problem with their component swaged boolits. I didn't care for their boolits but some folks did quite well with them.

LUBEDUDE
02-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I used to buy 3-D ammo in case lots in the early 90's. It was reliable lead ammo. I used 230 LN in 45 acp for IPSC. It was quite affordable back then.

WILCO
02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
3D was a remanufacturer of ammo (aka commercial reloader) in the midwest and is/was using anyone's brass at one time then I think got Hornady to make brass with their headstamp.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255931

km101
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
I bought some of the 3-D ammo in the mid 90's. IIRC it was good ammo. I still have some of the brass, but I think it was all brass not nickel. Good brass. I have reloaded it several times.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't understand all this talk about remanufactured 3-Dammo. The cases I have are all marked the same and that is 3-D. That is to say it was made by somebody for a company named 3-D. They have never been reloaded. They are all shiney nickle. I could get out my camera and post pictures but I just don't feel like it. They do have one characteristic that I have not seen before, the cases inside have a very light grey color instead of black.

Guesser
02-23-2013, 05:41 PM
3-D had 2 lines, new and reman, just as Black Hills and several others do. They got big enough to contract their own head stamp and did some in nickel, just as others do and did. No mystery here!!!!!!!!