PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling media question

dr zero
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I have a dumb question for you all the media I use for tumbling doesnt seem to last too long before turning greenish black (8-9 batches).

Also there is residue on the brass its clean but kinda chalky so I ran it through som dry corn cob and it looks fine.

So what gives?

44woody
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
put in a bounce fabric softener sheet in it will clean up your meida :castmine: 44Woody

dr zero
08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I will give that a shot!

On a side note what grit is the corn cob medial you usually see for sale?

I saw #12 and #24 online but wanst sure which one to get.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-01-2007, 09:59 PM
:-D I find a used dryer sheet works just as good as a new one, maybe even better. Just be sure to cut it into smaller peaces.
And there's no such thing as a dumb question.
Somebody needs to think of a better word to use.
Two cents worth.
Deano
:twisted:

Lee
08-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Sum buddy sum where suggested several strips of cotton cloth. I tried several strips of cut up mens undershirt(not t-shirt, but undershirt). That also seems to work some, picking and holding the "dirt", until you just plain over load the stuff. I am going to replace my strips and run the next batch. I'll let you know if it "cleans up" the greenish tinge my media has now........Lee:wink:

beagle
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Grab some "Lizzard Litter" from the pet store and change often. It's ground pecan shells (I thinK) but works well. They may also have the ground corncob. Much cheaper than buying through reloading channels.

Also, the big industrial suppliers handle huge quantities of both for sandblasting parts if you want to make a group buy with several friends./beagle

dr zero
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Grab some "Lizzard Litter" from the pet store and change often. It's ground pecan shells (I thinK) but works well. They may also have the ground corncob. Much cheaper than buying through reloading channels.

Also, the big industrial suppliers handle huge quantities of both for sandblasting parts if you want to make a group buy with several friends./beagle

Thanks for the tip! I get my pet bedding from wal mart its crushed walnut shells.

harbor freight has the media in 25# bags but havent felt like driving to Jacksonville to pick it up, tried locally and they just look at me like Im crazy LOL!

no34570
08-02-2007, 11:45 PM
I saw some where that you can use kitty litter too?
Anyone tried or heard of that,ohh and by the way,not used kitty litter!:)
no34570

BluesBear
08-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Do NOT use kitty litter. It doesn't clean well and the dust it creates is unbelievable.