PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Rifle Shooting Sport?

W.R.Buchanan
02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
OK since we have the Favorite Pistol Shooting Sport thread lets do the same thing for Rifles.

I'll start:

My new favorite is Three Gun Tactical Shooting. Previously it was Silhouette both short and long range as well as rimfire.

In the tac matches You get to rip off a bunch of rounds in short order(as short an order as you can muster)shooting at reactive steel targets. Shooting fast is really fun as long as you can hit what you're aiming at.

This usually invloves use of a Semi Auto rifle such as an AR, AK or Mini14. I am using my Kel-Tec SU16CA which is a .223. However any gun will do, the reloading of the weapon being the most time consuming part of using such a gun. However just because you are shooting a lever gun doesn't mean you can't learn to load it pretty fast. Also when translated to the Street, a guy with a levergun who could load it quickly and run the gun and be accurate would be just as big a threat as someone with an AR.

What this competition consists of is a course of targets you must engage with your rifle, shot gun and pistol. It usually involves reloading by changing mags or stuffing more rounds thru the loading gate. This sport can be done with pump or semi auto shotguns, or you could even do it with a double barrel shotgun, a bolt, lever, pump or semi auto rifle and a semi auto pistol or revolver, and yes a DA revolver can be reloaded just as fast or faster than a auto pistol. (See Jerry Michelek).

The sport is really just a modern version of Cowboy Action Shooting so people who do that already should do well.

I also like the silhouette games but they are more about precision than speed. I think the speed factor simulates the real world application of the game as a training function more than any other single factor.

What do you think?

Randy

pmer
02-22-2013, 04:22 PM
It must be a timed event with unlimited shots and then scored by the number of hits? Do they have classes for revolvers and doubles and such?

DaveCampbell
02-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Also when translated to the Street, a guy with a levergun who could load it quickly and run the gun and be accurate would be just as big a threat as someone with an AR.

Randy, be careful your DiFi doesn't get wind of this or she'll be wanting to outlaw Assault Lever Actions! :kidding:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Why do I need a high-capacity magazine? Because of people like you who want to deprive me of them.

rbertalotto
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Cowboy Action Shooting!

btroj
02-22-2013, 08:45 PM
I shot NRA Hightower for a few years. Enjoyed it. Went Distinguished with an AR. Then the rules nazis and jerks took over and it stopped being fun in the local area.

Now I just shoot for fun. That is the best.

CTBC
02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Benchrest. I spent 20 years in the Marines with a sizeable bit of it spent wearing a hard-backed coat and a tight loop sling. In the mid-90’s, I picked up a switch barrel rifle built on a Shilen DGA and was hooked. You highpower and service rifle fellers can lie in the dirt and count ants. I’m too old and would rather spend my time making teeny weeny groups beside other old dudes fascinated by teeny weeny groups.

I currently enjoy a monthly sack shoot. We shoot at a 4x8 inch candy sack taped to a metal plate, raised on a stake. This leaves the sack target isolated and suspended about 3 feet off the ground. We shoot five shots at each target at 100, 200, 300, 500, and an unknown range. Any rifle, any sight, but no wind flags. With a 4”x8” target and no way to see your misses, the wind can get a little tricky out past 300 yds. If your thing is precision rifle, and you have the room, a sack shoot is really easy to set up. Almost as fun as sillywet.

Jim
02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
'Coon huntin'! :bigsmyl2:

rlb
02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Shot PALMA and NRA Longrange for a while. Tried silhouette for a bit, it was fun.

375supermag
02-22-2013, 10:29 PM
"What is your favorite Rifle Shooting Sport?"

1st place: Just shooting targets at the range with my son.
2nd place: Hunting.

pmer
02-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Past NRA high power shooter here too. I shot a 6.5-284 Norma for 800, 900, and a 1000. It was a single shot Winchester that started life as a .223 bolt action repeater. I started out in service rifle with a Springfield M1 Garand and I still remember saying to my coach that I never before shot at a 200 yard target from standing.

"that's okay just focus on the front site and use the 6 oclock hold"

Last summer prairie dogging was pretty fun too. I used a .20 cal AR and a .17 Mach IV and had lots of jwords with.

9.3X62AL
02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Varmint hunting, hands down. I enjoy range prep for varmint, small game, and large game hunting as well, and a wide array of hunting venues with all manner of firearms. But strafing rats is my first love, from 17 HMR to 45-70.

Fernando
02-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Rimfire Benchrest - Beware money pit

Nobade
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Handgun and rifle silhouette in its many forms. I have been doing it for 25 years and am still learning how better to shoot.

-Nobade

Lefty SRH
02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Currently I shoot rimfire speedsteel and 3 Gun. I'd like to try rifle and handgun silhouette. I've done the 1,000yd .308 stuff many yrs ago and enjoyed it but the wind just really kicked my butt! Back then I was too young to really afford it and now its just a different time in life. I like and enjoy just about anything to do with a rifle and or handgun.

Calamity Jake
02-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Mil. bolt BR, 22 BR and CAS along with a little Pdog shooting