PDA

View Full Version : 17WSM a good looking 6mm-7mm jacket

BT Sniper
02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/17wsm_zpse21d68d8.png

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/17wsmcompare_zps1a7e708f.png

It's been mentioned before but thought I would start a thread for it. Can't wait to see some of this brass. At .269 it should be perfect for all our jackets needs from .243 to .284, possibly even larger.

BT

runfiverun
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
looks about right for 150 grs of weight once the rim is pushed off.
you'd have to open the case mouth too but it looks like the brass is about .0125 thick so it would take some upsizing.

i wonder why they went with that 172 bullet instead of 177

ReloaderFred
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM
I handled some of this ammunition (dummy rounds) at the SHOT Show. It's definately heavier in construction than even the .27 Caliber blank brass it's based on. It should work well for bullet swaging.

In January, the Winchester Rep I talked to said they were waiting for production rifles from Savage to hit the market. They're hoping other manufacturers will pick up on the round and make rifles for it, too. All the testing was done with custom rifles made up just for the purpose of proving the round.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MIBULLETS
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
i wonder why they went with that 172 bullet instead of 177

That's the standard for a 17 center fire bullet and the same as the 17HMR as well. I think the only .177 is an airgun pellet.

BT Sniper
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I can get 130-140 grains out of a 22mag in a .264 though it is a FB with a large meplat but I bet these 17WSM will go possibly 170 grians and possbily more as a 7mm bullet!

BT

runfiverun
02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
i knew win wouldn't do a rifle,, typical.
this round will die off so fast i'll never see a piece of brass.
i would have been pretty sweet to see something like a low wall in this round with a nice scope over the hood of my truck.

SquirrelHollow
02-23-2013, 02:51 AM
i knew win wouldn't do a rifle,, typical.
this round will die off so fast i'll never see a piece of brass.
i would have been pretty sweet to see something like a low wall in this round with a nice scope over the hood of my truck.

Even if Winchester had decided to bring out a new model for this cartridge, it would have been priced far above the competition and turned out to be another failure due to poor sales. (None of their current offerings would adapt well to this cartridge.)

Like most of the .17 WSM's competition... the success of this cartridge will be determined by the rifles coming from Savage, Ruger, and Marlin (Remington), and the effort they put into marketing, as a whole (Winchester and the rifle makers).

Savage has announced their rifle, and I'm sure it won't be the only offering. I still think the 25 single-shot might make a come-back with this cartridge.
Ruger is ready to go, even if they haven't announced it. This will drop right into the 77/22H-357-44 platform with just a floorplate, breech block, and magazine change.
Marlin would need a new rifle, to bring this out, but it wouldn't be difficult to stretch the action of their 'XT' line. A 'shrunken' X7 'Varmint/Target' model wouldn't be a bad idea, either - it would let them get into .22 Hornet/.17 Hornet/.17 Fireball territory, with a marketable platform.

There's .17 WSM brass in our future. It just won't show up as quickly as we might hope. Think of it as the rimfire .327 Federal, for now....

M-Tecs
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Winchester is chambering the 1885 in the 17 WSM.

SquirrelHollow
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Winchester is chambering the 1885 in the 17 WSM.

...with many admirers, but minimal interest; and priced $1,100 higher than the competition.

ReloaderFred
02-25-2013, 03:34 AM
You guys forget that Winchester Ammunition and Winchester Firearms are two completely different companies. What one does has no effect on the other.

Hope this helps.

Fred

SquirrelHollow
02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I didn't forget. ;-) We've discussed that in previous threads.
FN controls U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester).
Olin controls Winchester Ammunition.

runfiverun
02-26-2013, 01:58 AM
i did forget.
if nothing else this might be good for 22 hornet rifles or good/bad for the 17 hornady round. [velocity sells]
i wonder what a box of these are gonna cost.

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2014, 04:39 AM
I saw a couple of Savage MagB rifles (I think that is what they are called) in the local gunshop today, $AU550, which is in the Savage Edge / Ruger American ballpark.

Our guy has six rifles and 6 cases of 500 rounds of 20Gn ammo with a case of 25Gn coming within a week or so. It is $AU25 a box of 50 and the 17HMR ammo is at least $AU25 a box of 50 here, which is encouraging.

I have been awaiting this for awhile and expected the ammo to be way more expensive than the 17HMR.

I will be back at the shop tomorrow to buy a rifle and some ammo.

I am tempted to buy 1000 rounds, but a bit unsure as J Quinn's review spoke highly of the rifle, but said the ammo was not as consistent as he would have liked. Most of the guys in the shop were turning their nose up at the Savage, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Depends on what sort of deal I can get one the ammo as to how much I will buy. Either way, I am tempted to stock up a bit on it as it could be a bit patchy for awhile.

The big shops in Sydney don't have any rifles or ammo, go figure.