PDA

View Full Version : 92 .44 mag sights

luvtn
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
are off to the point that it shoots 12-18 inches high at 50 yds.(verified by another person). Missed two hogs in the last couple of days. Open buckhorn sights. The gun doesn't say Rossi on it, but when I bought it used was led to believe it was. It does say imported by LSI with a serial #M15xxx. I've looked at the Taurus owners site and saw the Marble sight replacement list that Ranch Dog put up, but it is all Greek to me. I know my sight (on the gun) is 7 mm high. I am not home nor will I be for 6 months so all my tools are 1100 miles away. Sure would love to get her shooting. Any info will be helpful
LT

fecmech
02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Front sights are measured from the very bottom of the dovetail on the sight. That said if you are shooting 12" high at 50 yds you need a taller front sight. If you totally remove your rear sight elevator does that get you closer to where you want to be?? That might be a quick fix.

Larry Gibson
02-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Open buckhorn sights?

Is the rear sight bottomed out on the elevator slide?

What sight alignment are you using (where is the tip of the front sight in the buckhorn rear when aiming?

I know these are basic questions and I'm not insulting you here, just trying to eliminate the obvious mistakes 1st.

Larry Gibson

larryp
02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
This guy has taller front sights meant to cure the high shooting Rossi 92's.http://store.stevesgunz.com/

BCRider
02-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Or you can modify the rear sight like I did.

The semi peep style actually makes for pretty easy centering and decent accuracy. Certainly it is FAR better for my eyeballs than the wussy small all but unnoticable notch at the bottom of the bullhorns that was there before.

I started by deepening the original small "V" with the edge cut of a small jeweler's file. Then using the rat tail round file from the same set I opened it up to the sort of sideways "C" shaped peep you see in this picture.

For shooting out to about 50 yards I simply center the front bead in the middle of the C. At 100 I put the bead between the two points of the smaller "C" when shooting my .38Spl loads. With .44Mag you'd need to play with the proper placement of the bead within the "C".

Doc65
02-23-2013, 01:59 AM
He does, and they fit nicely, but be just a little careful as I have both his 3/32" front bead & flat top rear on my LSI imported 44 mag Puma 92 clone at 25 it shoots low even with the rear raised as far as I can get it. I don't know how that will correlate at 100, but my guess is significantly low. I plan to do more testing & calculating then order a replacement from Marbles with the appropriate height. Steves is a Marbles that has been relieved in the front to clear over the top of the barrel band.

Doc

This guy has taller front sights meant to cure the high shooting Rossi 92's.http://store.stevesgunz.com/

Doc65
02-23-2013, 02:02 AM
I like your mod, never really been a fan of full buckhorn sights, too easy not to get the front bead down into that little notch

huntrick64
02-23-2013, 10:34 AM
As mentioned above, get a new front sight. Steves Guns has them and so does Skinner sights. The one from skinner is extremely tall, so I installed it and went to the range. Start off by puting your rear sight in the middle of its elevation adjustment. I put a piece of masking tape on the back of the front blade about halfway between the flat of the barrel and the top of the blade. I sighted at 75 yards off the top of the piece of tape and moved the tape up and down to get the approximate height needed for the front blade. I went back to the house and took a belt sander to that front blade (not bead) and reduced it close to the tape. Then went back to the target with a small bastard file and "fine-tuned" it with the file to be dead on at 75 yards with my rear sight in the middle adjustment slot. Finished it with Oxpho-blue and 0000 steel wool and it is perfect. I might add, that when you file a front blade, make sure you angle the top of the blade where the rear is slightly higher than the front so you can't get a sun-glare off the top of the blade.

Hope this helps.

I would also add that skinner's dovetail mounted peep was a great addition to my gun. A little slow to acquire the sight on game in the woods, but incredible accuracy on the target.

BCRider
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks Doc.

It's worked out doubly well. Not only did it avoid the need for a new front sight but it makes it easier for us folks with "old guy eyes" to actually place the front bead consistently each time. The notch as supplied was all but invisible.

In fact even if I'd needed to install a taller front I would keep this modified rear as it's worked out so well in practice over the last couple of years of use.