PDA

View Full Version : Gotta make another wad punch.

Nobade
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
The last time I tried boolits in my TC 32 cal. Cherokee I saw some nice groups and some fliers. Since then I have learned how important the right wads are to boolit shooting in muzzle loaders, so it's time to revisit the little rifle. It has a .320" bore and I assume is probably about .328" - .330" across the grooves so I need wads that size. Too bad the Harbor Freight wad punches don't make one in that range. The boolits are Lee truncated cone nose tumble lube ones, sized to .312" and patched to .319". They are short enough to stabilize in this rifle's slow(er) twist barrel and carry to longer ranges way better than a round ball. Basically turns the Cherokee into a 32-20.

It works very well with balls, is quick to load and very effective under 50 yards. But you always have to keep experimenting to see what else you can do, right? After seeing how well the Lee 45 ACP boolits work in my other 45 caliber Cherokee I am inspired to try to get its little brother to work as well.

-Nobade

KCSO
02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Try Tandy leather they have a full assortment of punches.

gunner69
02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
KCSO, I had not even considered Tandy! Now I wonder if they will work for "cutting" out of my lube pie tin? Thanks for the idea.

Coffeecup
02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
I've used an old 8mm Mauser case to cut .32 cal lube wads, should work to cut bullets from a cake of lube. Try to use a case fired n a military rifle--it should be large enough already to cut .326". A little work with a tapered punch can stretch the case mouth a few thou. If you need some, drop me a PM, I'll dig a few out for you.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
When I did that years ago I had a .320 bore 1/66 Douglas barrel, and that same Lee mould which was casting at .314 in lead for me at the time so I simply used a .005 tightly woven oiled patch and a short starter modified for the truncated nose of the bullet. The best hunting accuracy was at 50 yards, but slightly better target work at 25. Had a few squirrel head shots at 60/65. Goex FFFg used exclusively. I ground the interior of a 5/16" harbor fright punch out a little with a small tapered stone to make wads, but found them unneccessary in practice.
With my 45 Cherokee, I just used two patched ball combinations over the standard single ball load as an expedient. Two balls that way act as a RB not a slug. Deer accuracy for sure.

Any time you can get a short patched cast bullet snugly seated in your M/L over the right charge you have a winner, that is why the REAL bullet is so handy.

BvT

Nobade
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I've used an old 8mm Mauser case to cut .32 cal lube wads, should work to cut bullets from a cake of lube. Try to use a case fired n a military rifle--it should be large enough already to cut .326". A little work with a tapered punch can stretch the case mouth a few thou. If you need some, drop me a PM, I'll dig a few out for you.

That's a good idea! I will have to dig around and see if I have any extras. If not I can always make up some and shoot them to get a new punch. Ought to work fine for seeing if the idea works anyhow.

-Nobade