PDA

View Full Version : Anybody loading the .38 S&W cartridge?

JWFilips
02-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Guys,
Anybody loading the .38 S&W cartridge out there (not .38 Spec)? My search doesn't seem to hit much
Thanks

gunfan
02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
If you search out the .38 S&W thread, you'll find some good information.

Scott

gunfan
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Here's the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154134-Is-anyone-loading-38-S-amp-W

Larry Gibson
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
I load a few now and then for my H & R top break. I like to use commercial HBWCs because with a small charge of Bullseye they obturate to seal the larger bore (.362 on my H&R). I also load the Lee 358-105-SWC which drops at .362 out of my mould with range lead + 2% tin and 30 - 40% lead. I TL them in LLA and load as cast over Bullseye and they shoot fine. I back out my 9mm die to just partial size the cases, bell the case mouth with the Lee expander and seat the bullets with the 9mm seater backed out a tad also. I don't bother crimping as there isn't enough recoil to move the bullets in the cases. Accuracy with either is usually better than factory but I shoot off hand with it any way and with those sights and the H&Rs double action pull accuracy is a moot point. Yet it is fun to shoot now and then.

Larry Gibson

x101airborne
02-22-2013, 01:19 PM
I have been trying to reload for it with little success so far, but I dont have a mold that drops large enough.
Using remington 125 golden sabers over 3 grains of bullseye has worked well, but they hit about 2 foot high at 30 feet from my Iver Johnson and WAY to the right out of my H&R's. I havent tried my old and pitted Smith that I have, but that is due mainly to wear on the gun more than desire. I have been watching the S&S section for a mold that drops .365 or so, but as of yet, no joy.

turmech
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
I have loaded the Lyman 358477 unsized casted out of a mystery soft alloy (some used re purposed fishing sinker yard sale find) over 2 gr of bullseye and 3 gr of unique with some success in my H&R top break. I don't recall much about exactly how they preformed other than they exceeded my expectations. The mold drops aroun .360. I put the gun back in the safe and have not pulled it out since. This post may peak my interest in it again.

JWFilips
02-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Thank You for the thread link I thought I saw it here before but search as I may on this site, I never can seem to find a threads that I want. I picked up a really clean Smith & Wesson model 32-1 2" barrel Sure would like to load for it and shoot it!
I don't know much about it yet trying to read all I can

gunfan
02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
So may people think that this is a moribund, if not dead, cartridge. Evidently many still load, or want to load for the round. My father, God rest his soul, held the Colt's "Banker's Special" (in .38 Colt New Police/.38 S&W) in low regard. The loads about which I read (factory 146-grain load) are rather anemic, and were intended to be safe in the top-break revolvers.

With the modern loads in the other thread, you can exceed the energies of the .380 and tread on the heels of standard .38 S&W Special loads. A modern S&W Model 32-1 will take significantly more powerful loads than those currently produced by Remington, Winchester and Federal.

Enjoy developing great handloads for the revolver!

Scott