PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps bore Diameter.

oldrodder
02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
I slugged the bore on my Pedersoli .45-120 yesterday and the slugs miked out at .4565" Measured with both verniers and micrometer. Had my 'smith verify my findings. I'm thinking this is pretty tight for a .45 cal rifle. My paper-patched boolits measure .4590" Would that be too big? I would appreciate your advice, everyone.

Mike

Roundball
02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Supposedly, these rifles have a "choked bore." Does one measure from the choked portion or non-choked portion. My Pedersoli .45-90 is working well with .458-.459 diameter bullets. For me, PP is coming next-it's GG at this point.

Boz330
02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Try running your slug in from the chamber a little ways and back out the same way. As Roundball said they are choked. My Godson's is .456 as well. If the chamber is that dimension you may have trouble with PP.

Bob

bigted
02-22-2013, 02:09 PM
whatever your fireformed case will withstand diameterwise is what id use. fill the throate and whale away and be amazed at the results. if you can slip in a boolit patched to diameter in a flaired case without sizing finger tight then she will take that diameter as long as the patch is patched up far enough to begin the travel into the rifling.

my roller in 43 spanish is a .339 inch barrel but the fireformed case that is slightly flaired meassures .452 inch and i can thumb seat a .454 into it...so i load .452 in the un-sized cases ahead of 22 grains 5744 and fill the rest of the case with cornmeal to provide a slightly compressed load when the boolit is seated...these things really are accurate with 5 going into 3/4 inch outside to outside at roughly 50 yards. this is just sumptin i learned shortly ago.

montana_charlie
02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
My paper-patched boolits measure .4590" Would that be too big? I would appreciate your advice, everyone.
No, they are not too big.
CM

oldrodder
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Try running your slug in from the chamber a little ways and back out the same way. As Roundball said they are choked. My Godson's is .456 as well. If the chamber is that dimension you may have trouble with PP.

Bob

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh353/mikelevesque/45-120round_zps4b253823.jpg

I made up this dummy round to set up my dies and it chambers fine! OAL is 4.110 The boolit is 535 gr cast in an RCBS mould. This is Jamison brass and is a little difficult to chamber unless you chamfer the edge of the rim, like Norma brass. I chucked all 60 cases in my lathe and took a small cut off the edge of the case rims. Chambers fine now!
I noticed that once the slug was started down the bore, I was able to push it through by hand without the mallet. I will do as Bob suggests however.

Mike

Boz330
02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh353/mikelevesque/45-120round_zps4b253823.jpg

I made up this dummy round to set up my dies and it chambers fine! OAL is 4.110 The boolit is 535 gr cast in an RCBS mould. This is Jamison brass and is a little difficult to chamber unless you chamfer the edge of the rim, like Norma brass. I chucked all 60 cases in my lathe and took a small cut off the edge of the case rims. Chambers fine now!
I noticed that once the slug was started down the bore, I was able to push it through by hand without the mallet. I will do as Bob suggests however.

Mike

Reminds me of the rounds we used when I was a Tanker.

Bob

montana_charlie
02-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I made up this dummy round to set up my dies and it chambers fine!
oldrodder,
Have you given any thought to the direction you wrap your patches on the bullet?
I believe it makes a difference for bullets patched to groove diameter ... which yours are.

It is my belief (supported by examining bullets fired into snowbanks) that the patch can be slightly loosened, or slightly tightened, on the bullet at the moment it starts to move against the rifling.
As you roll a bullet away from you to wrap the patch, I recommend the bullet point to your left ... since your Pedersoli rifle has a right-hand twist.

The picture below show why I came to think this way.
The bullet on the left shows a 'scar' low on the shank which I decided was evidence of the patch trying to wrinkle as it moved forward. Reversing the wrap removed the scar.

I don't think wrap direction matters much when a patched-to-bore bullet is lying well up in the rifling before firing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=50941&d=1261624854

oldrodder
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Montana Charlie,
I hadn't thought about it but now that you bring it up, it makes sense! One would want the patch to tighten up, i would think, rather than loosen! When I patch, I hold the bullet in my left hand with the bullet tip pointing left, and rotate towards me (counter-clockwise) to complete the wrap. With a right hand twist, that would want to loosen the patch, I believe. I need to rotate away from me....................shoot, I'm confused!!!!

Mike

montana_charlie
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
I need to rotate away from me....................shoot, I'm confused!!!!
Don't be confused, you have the idea.
Either roll away as you wrap, or point the nose toward the right and you roll like you do now.

As you slip the bullet into the case, it helps to twist it to keep the patch smooth.
If you are 'unscrewing' it as you twist it in, you are wrapped right for right-hand rifling.

CM

oldrodder
02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks again, MC!

lreed
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
If I remember correctly,I used a .451 acp fmj bullet to push down the bore of my Ped 45-70, it required just a gentle push with a rod to go completely through the barrel,no increased in effort to go through the full length. I was under the impression that it was the groove that was choked,as the 1851 Enfield supposedly was. I think I remember Pedersoli's outfit had patient on their secret process and someone was guessing the process involved a temperature differential in the barrel when they broached the grooves to achieve the slight choke. Yes,of course Y.M.M.V lreed

Bad Ass Wallace
03-01-2013, 06:04 AM
I believe you are quite correct, I recall seeing an old post on another forum by the late DT, the Pedersoli barrels have a parallel bore but tapered or progressive land depth. This has the effect of choking the bore to give top accuracy. The process involves boring the barrel, reaming the barrel parallel, reaming the taper then rifled to give progressive depth with a normal broach!