PDA

View Full Version : Speer on primer availability

Sasquatch-1
02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Contacted Speer today and asked when will primers start becoming more available. This is a direct cut and paste of their answer. Can anyone see an answer to the question?

Victor: ATK has achieved its market leadership position in the ammunition
industry by delivering innovation and quality. We continue to work seven days a
week, making multiple daily shipments to meet the current demand and deliver
quality products to our customers.

Shoot Straight!
Coy Getman
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
CCI/Speer Sr. Technical Coordinator
(866) 286-7436

When do you expect to have primers availible to the public in sufficient
quanities.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Yep, they are running full speed and continuing to ship.

May not be the answer you wanted or like, but that IS the answer.

Clearly the obamanation is Causing a huge over load with the demand waaaay out pacing the supply/production.

I was in the Black Sheep sporting goods last Thursday, located in Lewiston, Idaho, home of Speer and CCI, and although they had a much better supply of components on the shelf then most places they were still limiting primer buys to 200 per customer per day.

The Black Sheep currently has the stock they have remaining simply because they were smart enough to make large buys of stock when it was still available. One of the counter people told me they saw this situation coming and bought accordingly.

Something which all of us should have done, learning our lesson from the Clinton years and the first obamanation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

LAH
02-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Try calling Coy & see if he is the same over the phone. Rest assured they are in business to make money & I'd bet my 40 pound pot they are doing all they can. Perhaps the question you asked is impossible to answer? Are you needing primers? I have a few in Beckley.

Catshooter
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Don't worry Crusty, some of us did indeed learn our lesson from the primer scare of '93. I started stocking after we elected Bush the second time. I knew then our next president would be a democrat. Though I thought it would be Hitlary. Who the hell ever heard of Odammit?

Cat

GabbyM
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
They go right out to fill back orders. I've 5,000 primers on back order with Sinclair right now.

Sasquatch-1
02-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Try calling Coy & see if he is the same over the phone. Rest assured they are in business to make money & I'd bet my 40 pound pot they are doing all they can. Perhaps the question you asked is impossible to answer? Are you needing primers? I have a few in Beckley.

Thanks for the offer. I have a few that will get me through for a while. I look at it this way, when I run out of primers I still have the smoke poles.

milrifle
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
A better answer would have been "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two weeks" Or "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two years", whichever was more truthful. But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.

41 mag fan
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd say expand and add more workers, but then you'd have everything come to a slow down, and that new building & equipment would be idled and workers laid off

41 mag fan
02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
A better answer would have been "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two weeks" Or "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two years", whichever was more truthful. But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.

Probably because they have no clue. We keep having idiot shootings and politicians wanting more gun control, they shortage will keep going.

762 shooter
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Speer could answer that question if gave you them two pieces of data.

1. How many people finally realized that guns are worthless without ammo?

2. How long those people will remember No. 1?

Case Stuffer
02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Not just us little guys in a pinch. One of the ammo remanufacture I have purchased from went from having inventory to now a 6 to 9 month back log, another one went from two weels backlog to 6 months back log in the past month. Both of these are not small in someone's garage operations and one I have know the owner for thirty years.

Bottom line is that we may have to cut way back on our shooting but remember some out there are now really having a difficult time to keep the doors open and thier workers employed. Some should point out to the DC gang that they perhaps are adding to the unemployment problem.

Garpo
02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
I suspect they can’t answer candidly or more clearly because they don’t know for sure when supplies and production will get back to “normal.” In addition, I’m certain that they are inundated with the same question from all their customers, both large and small.

Their response reminds me of what I receive from Senators and Congressman on the subject of protecting the Second Amendment – all canned replies.

Why do I have a feeling that we are in for a long ride?

375RUGER
02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.

Manufacturers won't be able to give us a "feel for how long" because that depends on the market. How much will it take to satiate the market? / What is the rate of production? = If someone can answer question #1 then we will know how long.

deltaenterprizes
02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Big kink is UPS only allows so much powder and primers per truck. A buddy had a long wait on an order from Powder Valley and was told of the limit and that UPS will send a truck in the morning and one in the afternoon. The powder and primers were sitting there waiting to be shipped.

Garpo
02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Big kink is UPS only allows so much powder and primers per truck. A buddy had a long wait on an order from Powder Valley and was told of the limit and that UPS will send a truck in the morning and one in the afternoon. The powder and primers were sitting there waiting to be shipped.

FedEx could help.

jonk
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Uhm... last I checked, speer didn't make primers for sale to the consumer; whether they make any for their own ammo I don't know. If it is allied with CCI then that makes more sense, but why not email CCI?

runfiverun
02-22-2013, 01:58 PM
ATK [federal] owns speer/cci/blazer they are under one roof.
the issue is we don't have any independant makers of reloading equipment/consumables really any more.
even barnes is owned by a conglomerant now.
hornady and sierra would be the closest we have, and hornady is using someone elses stuff for their components to make their ammo.

remember president billary closed down 4 of the 5 muntions plants used to make military ammunition and contracted the civilian makers to supply ammo on demand.
one large order and civilians get put on the back burner,reloaders even below that.
they were not even fully caught up from the last go-round when this one hit.
i hope no-one needs any 348 win,7x57,35 rem type brass for a while, a long while.
that seasonal run machine is busy punching out 223 cases.

Phoenix
02-22-2013, 02:21 PM
They were more than capable of answering the question. They just choose not to. And NO that is not an answer. What you are doing is not an answer to the question. They should have said "based on current orders and production rates it will be at least 8 months for us to catch up to demand. Barring any changes in demand additional orders or cancellations will change this estimation, Please be assured we are working at capacity to get to that point as soon as possible"

I understand that talking to the average person at walmart. this would not be understood and would create more complaints later. But The bottom of the barrel usually doesn't reload. So when asked about primer availability The assumption should at least be made that the person asking is smarter than the average turnip.

The real bottom line is they don't feel like calculating it or responding in ernest. They just want you off their back so they can answer the next 10k emails.

Phoenix
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM

This should be irrelevant. the only reason this happens is to the end distributor that is actually sending small orders to customers. Orders from the factory to distributors is done via Frieght truck. They can haul 45,000 pounds at a time. The solution to this is to work out with ups to have multiple pickups per day so the shipments can be distributed. also adding additional carriers alleviates this even more. That is why the larger companies have multiple warehouses spread about to prevent this kind of thing. Where you live and package routing can be a serious issue. But most of it can be worked out. I used to drive truck contracted to UPS from the local station to the regional distro center. We hauled whole trucks full of hazmat that ups couldnt carry due to their limitations. Once it is at the distro center it gets put on a dozen different trucks which at least minimizes the effect.

fredj338
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
If they are producing 24/7, demand will dictate availability, how could they have any real idea? I am sure they are making all they can to sell, the object is to make $$ after all. This is the 3rd time this has happened, all three under Dem pres. So at what point do reloaders/shooters pay attention? I did after Clinton, 5K min on hand, all sizes all the time. When you buy powder add, 1K primers, need them or not. In a year or two, you'll have a healthy primer supply & will have saved money. A couple months ago, I used the last 1K LP I bought back in 92, $9.95. Nice when replacement costs are now around $30.

GabbyM
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Yes Fred that's what I did. Stocked up plenty of sp ,lp,lp mag, sr, sr mag, lr.
Then I bought some IMR 7828 and wanted some LR magnum primers. Think that's old Murphy's law.
They're on back order I think.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I and a group of just over 40 men had the oppertunity this morning of hearing Steve Moore, Manager of Product Development at the Lewiston, Idaho Speer/CCI - ATK plant.

This info is right from the horses mouth ----------

6 years ago, the Lewiston Speer/CCI operation had about 600 employees. Today it is 1200.

Could they use more, yes, but they must balance current employee needs with what is sustainable during "normal" times.

Steve said they could use more bodies in his area, but also feel a responsibility to not over hire and then be forced to fire the excess.

They are operating 24/7

Before the school shootings back East, the supply channels were reasonably filled, but the panic after those shooting together with the obamanation quickly sucked the supply lines dry.

His best guess, at this time is, that we should begin to see an easing of supplies like .22rf ammo and primers in possibly a year.

The scare that has gone out on the net about the huge amount of ammo being bought by home land security is much to do about nothing.

These orders as large as they are, are normal. Home land security in all it's many facets, simply uses a huge amount of ammo for practice and duty ammo.

Just think of N.Y. city for example with a police force of 30,000. Just think of the amount of ammo they must go through in a year.

About 1/3 of the ATK production is normally bought by the US government.

I would guess, that this may also include the states and cities which use the Speer, CCI and federal ammo.

Speer Gold Dot is used by MANY law enforcement agencies.

There are 2 powder manufactures in the USA, one of which is Allient / ATK

There are 4 US primer manufactures, Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI both of which are part of ATK.

The possibility of supplies easing in, "about a year" was much better then I had expected.

Lets hope the situation does not change for the worse, and remember this was just a guess as using Steve's words, "the crystal ball is really cloudy.".

AS per bullets being each marked and traceable, Steve said it's not going to happen any time soon as there is currently no way to do so. He said that we hear about it happening and some company having developed a way to do it, but when the facts are made known, there is simply no way to do this at present in an affordable way.

He said if this were to be forced upon us, we'd simply need to quit shooting and cost seemed to be the factor to force that on us.

Anyway, great breakfast and Steve was very informative.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ddaniel1
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks Crusty.

btroj
02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
So the panic is just that, panic. Imagine that.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Apparently in regards to the panic about the "huge" homeland security buys.

However, do I now trust the government?

Yep, about as far as I could pick up Idaho and throw it!

CDOC

10mmShooter
02-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks Crusty..... Also RCBS is part of ATK....any mention when the reloading hardware will back to "normal" ?

dragon813gt
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
When all the new people have everything they need. I'm patiently waiting for the flood of new to like new reloading gear to hit the market in about two years. Should be plenty of deals at that point. Of course this is assuming nothing major happens in the mean time.

Olevern
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Not just us little guys in a pinch. One of the ammo remanufacture I have purchased from went from having inventory to now a 6 to 9 month back log, another one went from two weels backlog to 6 months back log in the past month. Both of these are not small in someone's garage operations and one I have know the owner for thirty years.

Bottom line is that we may have to cut way back on our shooting but remember some out there are now really having a difficult time to keep the doors open and thier workers employed. Some should point out to the DC gang that they perhaps are adding to the unemployment problem.

Like he cares; as soon as he was reelected he shut down his jobs council. No more need for campaign therefore no need to continue the sham.

Olevern
02-23-2013, 07:08 PM
I and a group of just over 40 men had the oppertunity this morning of hearing Steve Moore, Manager of Product Development at the Lewiston, Idaho Speer/CCI - ATK plant.

6 years ago, the Lewiston Speer/CCI operation had about 600 employees. Today it is 1200.

Could they use more, yes, but they must balance current employee needs with what is sustainable during "normal" times.

Steve said they could use more bodies in his area, but also feel a responsibility to not over hire and then be forced to fire the excess.

They are operating 24/7

Before the school shootings back East, the supply channels were reasonably filled, but the panic after those shooting together with the obamanation quickly sucked the supply lines dry.

His best guess, at this time is, that we should begin to see an easing of supplies like .22rf ammo and primers in possibly a year.

The scare that has gone out on the net about the huge amount of ammo being bought by home land security is much to do about nothing.

These orders as large as they are, are normal. Home land security in all it's many facets, simply uses a huge amount of ammo for practice and duty ammo.

Just think of N.Y. city for example with a police force of 30,000. Just think of the amount of ammo they must go through in a year.

I would guess, that this may also include the states and cities which use the Speer, CCI and federal ammo.

There are 4 US primer manufactures, Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI both of which are part of ATK.

The possibility of supplies easing in, "about a year" was much better then I had expected.

Lets hope the situation does not change for the worse, and remember this was just a guess as using Steve's words, "the crystal ball is really cloudy.".

AS per bullets being each marked and traceable, Steve said it's not going to happen any time soon as there is currently no way to do so. He said that we hear about it happening and some company having developed a way to do it, but when the facts are made known, there is simply no way to do this at present in an affordable way.

He said if this were to be forced upon us, we'd simply need to quit shooting and cost seemed to be the factor to force that on us.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I think some resourceful importer will call upon the out-of-country manufacturers to ramp up and meet some of the shortfall ie: Tula, (Wolf), Fiocchi, Magtech of Brazil etc.

At least we can hope.

Case Stuffer
02-23-2013, 09:07 PM
AS per bullets being each marked and traceable, Steve said it's not going to happen any time soon as there is currently no way to do so.

I think that I read years ago that powder had markers in it and that the residue could be tracked back to a lot number.

Many new firearms come with a single factory fired case and I would not be surprised to learn that more than one is fired and fired case and recovered bullet from each scaned and logged into a data base. Faciale and voice reconition software can identify a person so why not a firearm?

dragon813gt
02-23-2013, 09:50 PM
The fired case thing has been a joke all along. I think there were two states that required it. One of them being NY. There might have been one case where a cataloged fired case solved a crime. The program cost a ridiculous amount of money to run and was scheduled to be shut down.

I don't know about the powder we buy. But there are markers in explosives that can be traced back to the manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me if the markers were in commercial gun powder. But since it's not recorded when you buy the powder it would do no good from a crime standpoint. I shouldn't even be mentioning this since it will give politicians more ideas on things to regulate.

snglstack
02-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Yep, I'm still plugging away at the primers acquired in '94....still have thousands left, and I'm gonna use em all!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-23-2013, 11:45 PM
10mmShooter,

Sorry, the only parts of ATK spoken of to any length were the Federal and the CCI/Speer.

Now, a couple post back the was a comment about fired cases and their identification to a specific firearm.

What Steve spoke of was not case and firearm identification related, but rather the idea by some crazy nuts to number or mark and then record every single bullet during manufacture so as to identify the make, caliber, and on and on through the the supply chain to the final buyer/user.

Stupid people!

I really think it would be possible to do so, but the cost and paper work involved would kill the firearms, ammunition and shooting as we know it, simply pushing the cost beyond most people's ability to buy.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Sasquatch-1
02-24-2013, 08:22 AM
It would have been nice if they would have incorporated this response in their email response. It would have sounded a lot less like the old side step.

They are operating 24/7

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Bonz
02-24-2013, 08:41 AM
and this is the answer when I emailed CCI asking them where all the primers were...

Charles, we make and ship 2,000,000 + primer a day, there is just a great demand right now.

Make Every Shot Count!
Justin M.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
CCI/Speer
(866) 286-7436

WHITETAIL
02-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Yes, we need to be a little more on the ball.
It is like running out of gas in your car.
Gas goes up, so you don't buy any.
Insted of keeping your tank full.:holysheep

Oreo
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I think that I read years ago that powder had markers in it and that the residue could be tracked back to a lot number.

Many new firearms come with a single factory fired case and I would not be surprised to learn that more than one is fired and fired case and recovered bullet from each scaned and logged into a data base. Faciale and voice reconition software can identify a person so why not a firearm?

That other state is my own home, Maryland. FYI, don't worry about them databasing powder, primer, bullet, or brass. Its been found to be useless by law enforcement. By law the state is still collecting brass samples from each new gun sold but I don't think they're doing more then just warehousing the sealed envelopes at this point. A less anti-gun state would have ended the program by now but you know how irrational gun grabbers can be.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-24-2013, 12:22 PM
As I read the posts on the topic, many of which are quite good and reasonable in content, I can really feel sorry for a couple of groups. #1, those who are just now attempting to begin reloading, and #2 those who shoot huge amounts of ammunition in an on going program of training or competition and must therefore rely on an ongoing and continuing supply.

For the rest of us, even if shooting some hundreds or even a thousand or so per year, we should have been prepared.

Like Whitetail indicates, we should have kept the tank full.

AS per the answers rec'd by some posters from Speer/CCI, what more can they say. In one answer, they said they were producing and shipping 2,000,000 + primers per day and the other says they are running 24/7. Simply what is it we don't understand about Full Speed?

Knowing a bit about the man I heard speak yesterday, having been in contact with Steve over a period of some months, and knowing a bit about his back gound, he is VERY creditable. He was very clear that for things like new developments on the drawing board at ATK, the information is held close to the chest and he simply can't talk about it. But for the rest of the information he provided, and the many questions he answered from the men's group, he was very forth coming with information.

AS Steve indicated, the crystal ball is really cloudy right now, meaning they have only a slightly better idea what the next weeks, months or years will bring to the industry as a whole and shooters in general, then we as shooters and reloaders have from our side of the fence.

If not rocket science, the development and production of our powders, primers and bullets, at least boarders on it.

For example, during the development, and this would be ongoing, of 40S&W ammo, they were seeing some failures to feed and function in some police departments firearms. They went to some of those departments for an on site and hands on look at the situation, even to the point that they brought some of the handguns from the Seattle P.D. back to Lewiston in an attempt to solve the situation.

They, CCI/Speer, are after all major suppliers of practice and duty ammo for law inforcement and simply can't live with such problems and retain their market share.

The solution ------------- Well the head of the 40S&W case was squared off (90 degrees) at the base and this factor was causing the failures to function. Those cases were then slightly modified in the case manufacturing process, to have a very slight 45 degree angle in place of the 90 degree angle and NO MORE feeding issues.

Sounds simple, but it took many miles and much time to find and make this simple adjustment and solve the problem

WE really have no idea the length and depth of development that goes into the process of making the products we enjoy.

Clearly, at least in the case of CCI/Speer, they are not the enemy in this situation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

merlin101
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
The fired case thing has been a joke all along. I think there were two states that required it. One of them being NY. There might have been one case where a cataloged fired case solved a crime. The program cost a ridiculous amount of money to run and was scheduled to be shut down.

NY finally shut that down after aprox 10years and $38 MILLION, It was used in ONE court case and didn't prove a thing! Even after that some in the state senate still fought to keep that useless program.

Denny303
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
A local small shop here in central pa had a small stock of Federal LR and Remington SR, id say he only had about 5,000 of each and was selling them at $5.00 a hundred. I was shocked that he had any but I guess there's a small flow of supply beginning to come along.

Hondo 60
02-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I HATE how politicians & marketers don't answer the question.

Did the OP ask if they were running seven days a week? NO
He asked "When do you expect to have primers available to the public in sufficient quantities."

And the replier did NOT answer the question.

Why are people so afraid to admit when they don't have an answer?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Hondo 60,

Read my last two posts.

Clearly there is no way to answer the question in any concrete way beyond what they already said in the 2 posts which quote replies from Speer/CCI.

Speer and CCI are doing what they do best, producing a quality product as rapidly as possible all the while maintaining the needed level of quality control.

They can't give any answer beyond what they have already said, as they do not and never will control the situation beyond the gates of their operation.

As Steve Moore said yesterday, the crystal ball is very cloudy at this point.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

btroj
02-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Define "sufficient quantities". How does a manufacturer know the future demand very clearly in a volatile market place?

Long as they have a full crew working around the clock as they do I ask- what more can they do?

Primers will be on shelves in large quantities when production exceeds demand, not before. I do not know when that will be.

David2011
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Seems like there was a post not too long ago somewhere on Castboolits that said that even running 24/7 and producing 2 million primers a day, CCI sold a years' worth of production to distributors in 2 hours recently.

David

jonas302
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Really you didn't see the answer to your question? When you see them on the shelf again is the answer how would the manufacture know when the next guy that buys a pallet full is waiting to get some

williamwaco
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Seems like there was a post not too long ago somewhere on Castboolits that said that even running 24/7 and producing 2 million primers a day, CCI sold a years' worth of production to distributors in 2 hours recently.

David

That is - W A Y - not likely.

There is no way they would have that many primers in stock.

They may have made a forward contract to deliver primers ( as yet unmade ) at future dates over the next year.

altheating
02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
I attended a dealer only show today and was told. "don't expect anything to change for 6 to 8 months".

MtGun44
02-25-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't konw where you got the info that Clinton "shut down 4 of 5 ammo plants" but I do not think this is remotely correct. AFAIK, and I
have lived in the KC area for more than 30 yrs, Lake City Ammunition plant on the east side of town has been THE ONLY maker of US
gov't small arms ammo for at least that long. I have serveral friends that do or have worked there and they make a good bit of
ammo for the civilian market, 5.56 sold as XM193 and Federal 5.56 ammo. Some has "LC" headstamps, some has "Fed" head
stamps, same factory and same machines as the gov't ammo is run on.

Bill

LAH
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Bill I would love to spend a week lookin' that plant over.

psj12
02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
I think a larger part of the entire ammo/component shortage is the monumentally huge buy of ammo the government has made for all of their agencys to include Homeland Security, FBI, ATF, Social Security USPS, EPA and many many more, has depleted all the raw materals and manufacturing capacity. They are buying all the brass, powder, primers and bullet materials.

I believe they are doing this with the intent to put down civil unrest in the event of a small or large uprising. It serves the double purpose of denying it to the public they may be forced to face.

Catshooter
02-26-2013, 12:30 AM
You know psj12 I am no .gov apologist, but huh?

Have you looked at the ammo purchase that DHS made? What was it, 1.6 billion rounds wasn't it? Ok. So how many agencies get that ammo? Spread across how many LEOs? Spread across how many years is the purchase order?

Or did you just hear the media report of ONE POINT SIX BILLION ROUNDS and then run in circles scream and shout?

Cat

leeggen
02-26-2013, 01:39 AM
QUESTION??
Are we sure this is not another shortage like the 72 gas shortage???? Then it drove gas prices up and it hasn't stopped yet.

Sasquatch-1
02-26-2013, 09:34 AM
You know psj12 I am no .gov apologist, but huh?

Have you looked at the ammo purchase that DHS made? What was it, 1.6 billion rounds wasn't it? Ok. So how many agencies get that ammo? Spread across how many LEOs? Spread across how many years is the purchase order?

Or did you just hear the media report of ONE POINT SIX BILLION ROUNDS and then run in circles scream and shout?

Cat

I don't know how many orginization will be drawing from the Homeland purchase but I did here somewhere that it was over five years. Don't quote me on that.

doulos
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I live next to one of the largest ammunition distributers in the northeast here in the communist state of NY(Beikirchs Ammunition Corp). They not only sell retail to the public but are a huge whole sale outlet for ammo and components. They told me they dont expect to have a steady supply of primers until Sept or October.

Lead Waster
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
That guy should be a politician with that answer!

"When will primers be available to the general public?"

"That's an excellent question, thank you for asking that. I can tell you right now that I'm committed to ensuring the quality of our primers and that we have definitely initiated an investigation into the increasing productivity of our factories! We in fact make it a point to ensure that yes, the general public will have primers available! It is my very hope to answer your question in a timely manner. Thank you."

dragon813gt
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm just wondering why some of you expect an answer to a question that there is no answer to? Now let's pretend that he said it would be three months. Everyone would be mad if it in fact took five months. Now let's pretend he said three years. All the armchair quarterbacks would be calling him a moron and that there is no way it could take that long because they know more then him. He can't possibly answer the question as far as time frame. He said they're running 24/7 right now. So when supply catches up with demand it will be over. There is no other answer.

donk
02-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Any experience with "foreign made" primers like Tula/Wolf? In all my shooting, factory and reloads, I only hade one failure to fire and that was a .410 load from a Judge, ammo was Winchester (so I assume it was a WW primer). I use mostly CCI, some WW and I have some boxes marked Rem for the primer, not many.

jaysouth
02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
When all the new people have everything they need. I'm patiently waiting for the flood of new to like new reloading gear to hit the market in about two years. Should be plenty of deals at that point. Of course this is assuming nothing major happens in the mean time.

I am still waiting for all those generators that got bought up for Y2K to hit the used market. Not yet.

GabbyM
02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I would imagine Speer/CCI has a fear of competition from the Russians. Tula & Wolf primers may show up by the boat load. Actually just a couple containers full would be a lot of primers. Then if more shooters buy them as there only choice. They may just like them and chose to stay with the Russians after the shortages are past.

I've personally had excellent results with SR and LR Wolf primers. Am down to a couple hundred Wolf LR and may grab some up myself.

Triggernosis
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Tula(Wolf) primers are good-to-go.