PDA

View Full Version : 223 neck sizing

07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
OK, I know this is a little off topic for this forum (way off in fact), but I trust those here far more than the places it would be more appropriate.

Has anyone used a neck sizer to size 223 brass for AR platforms? Its been fireformed to my rifle, I'm just trying to simplify the reloading of my now twice fired brass by skipping the lube step.

I know neck sizers are designed for bolt actions, but I've also heard of others using them for other actions, but not specifically for AR platforms.

Thanks,
Josh

Larry Gibson
07-31-2007, 10:44 PM
For the most part NS'ing doesn't work for AR platforms or other semi-autos for that matter. With light loads that won't function the action NS'ing can work ok. However with loads that function the action FL sizing is still required. Depending on load with cast bullets you will get away with NS'ing for one, two or maybe more loadings then you will get failure to extract, failure of the bolt to close, etc. I use a RCBS X-Die (regular, not the SB die) and have no problems chambering and don't have to trim the cases.

Larry Gibson

Mallard57
08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I use a RCBS X-Die (regular, not the SB die) and have no problems chambering and don't have to trim the cases.
Ditto on the regular type X- Die.
Jeff

mike in co
08-01-2007, 12:10 PM
actually i have no issues with neck sizing for an ar, but as larry pointed out you cannot do it forever. the gun will tell when its been enough.
i size my semi autos rilfes to about a half to one thou below a fired case....and no more.
this is segregated brass, shot in only one gun.

so yes it can be done, but...why do it if the chamber and bbl do not support it. if the gun does not shoot better, then just go back to a min fl resize.

my blasting and three gun ammo is done min fl , my target ar's are ns till fl is required, with the exception of my 6ppc ar which gets a min fl every time.

Bob S
08-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Go to the CMP site, and check out the scores that the USMC and AMU shooters are turning in from the 600 yard line ... with machine-loaded ammo.

Resp'y,
Bob S.