PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis or Savage 11 TH 243

jumbeaux
02-21-2013, 11:58 AM
My grandchildren are both left handed.....my grandson has been shooting an AR and now it is time for a 243 deer rifle......I have been researching the modestly priced rifles and it looks like the Axis or the Model 11 TH are the best values. I would like your comments.....

Thank y'all,

rick

tomcat388th
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
I have shot the axis in 223 and 243 both shot within an inch group off the bench with factory loads. Triggers are a little heavy with both. I bought myself the mod 11 with the nikon scope 22-250. I have the accu trigger pull at around 2.5 lbs.Took a little getting used to but i really like it now. The really only complaint I have on the rifles they don't eject the shell with much authority compared with my rem 700's
J

uscra112
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I did some research on the Savage line before my recent purchase of a pre-owned Stevens(Savage) 200. I rejected the Axis because it apparently has a peculiar stock. The recoil lug is molded into the stock, and projects into a recess in the action, rather than the conventional way. Would make any re-stocking effort rather difficult.

Only thing I really disliked about my purchase was/is the magazine, which took a heap of shimming to make it line up right, but now it's done and I'm happy. The standard Savage trigger was ridiculously easy to hone to a nice crisp 2 lb pull - don't let that put you off. Mine also doesn't eject well unless the bolt is slammed back pretty smartly. My 200 is chambered 5.56x45, and I'm sorry now that I ever chose a .22 bore cartridge, 'cause the famine has dried up supplies. Mine will be converted to 6x45 as soon as I can find a barrel! Good thing they're easy to change!

NSP64
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I would get him an axis in .308
Get him shooting cast right off the bat.

dagunnut
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I personally own 3 Savage Axis Rifles all in .223 cost me $279.99 each plus tax. I then converted two of them to 300AAC Blackout and the other is currently 30carbine. The trigger pull is not unbearable but leaves something to be desired. There is a quick remedy by replacing the factory spring with a 10-32 button head hex screw and weaker spring cut to length. The spring and screw are available in most hardware stores. I did the trigger remedy on all three of mine and have them breaking at around 3 to 3.5 pounds. Prior to rebarreling the rifles and after I did the trigger remedy they would all print 1 1/2" but mostly under 1" groups at 100yrds with ease using Fiocchi Extrema .223 Rem. 50 Grain V-Max purchased from Midway. You just have to make sure that the factory installed scopemount is tight with a little loctite as most are shipped lose or crosshair is canted. I have yet to shoot any groups from the bench after rebarreling them and I am still working on load development for the 300BO.

On some sites people refered to stock flexing and cures for it, I personaly have not seen this occuring. The stock is odd looking but very functional and it does not feel bad when shouldered. The recoil lug is mounted in the stock and is a tight fit in the reciever slot. This makes stock replacement nearly impossible considering no manufacturer at this time produces an aftermarket stock for it. Due to the stock design and the method by which the recoil pad is mounted it is extremely difficult if not impossible to shorten the stock. Just the removal of the recoil pad is a risky endevor being that it is held in by a square plastic detent on one side that breaks rather easily. Rifle Basix and Timney both produce aftermarket triggers that fit the Axis.

I have heard good things about the Ruger American rifle and the Mossberg ATR. It seems that every manufacture has an economy rifle out now but you will have to research the feedback on them youself.

These are just my experiences with the Savage Axis line in .223. Hope this input helps you out!
Mario
dagunnut