PDA

View Full Version : SS media cleaning question

45fan
02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
I have a question about my brass after cleaning with SS media. After cleaning I put my brass in a large plastic bag or box (what ever is handy) all shiney and clean waiting to be reloaded at a later time. A couple months later I go to get my brass to reload and it is no longer nice and shiney. They look tarnished and dull, I rinsed them very well and dried them completely before they were put away. Can anybody tell me why this has happened and what I can do to keep them clean and shiney? I know this isnt going to effect they way I reload or the way they shoot, just like to know what happen and how to prevent it.

zuke
02-21-2013, 07:23 AM
It happens now and then to me also.
The only explaination I have is that the brass,while being tumbled is completely stripped of any protective coating.
It's just beggining to tarnish again.

gefiltephish
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
I believe, after initial cleaning, many tumble them in corn cob media with a bit of polish to prevent tarnishing.

bobthenailer
02-21-2013, 11:52 AM
If you want that shine to last you have to run them in the vibrator or tumbler with corn cob media treated with liquid New Finish car polish to put a protective coating on the brass.

shredder
02-21-2013, 12:17 PM
If it is really tarnished to the point of being able to actually feel the spots on the brass, then another tumble is in order to clean em up.

OTOH, a little discoloratin will not harm anything and will certainly go away after the next trip through the pins. I don't think I would apply any type of "protective coating" to the brass. I want the consistent boolit pull of clean brass necks.

John Allen
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Materials in the air cause tarnish which is just a protective surface. Just tumble real quick like bobthenailer posted.

Frozone
02-21-2013, 02:16 PM
If you want that shine to last you have to run them in the vibrator or tumbler with corn cob media treated with liquid New Finish car polish to put a protective coating on the brass.

THIS!

as soon as the brass is out of the SS tumbler and dry, run it in corncob with NuFinish for 15 min.
It'll store for at least a year (that's about the oldest I have stored) and still look brand new.

You can do the same when you're done loading - a few minutes in the cob /w polish keeps the lead tip looking good.

dilly
02-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Nu finish really does work wonders on the brass.

cheese1566
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
I drop them in my corn cob/NuFinish tumbler also after they had time to dry. I feel the extra tumbling does gives the the clean brass an anti-tarnish coating and removes the extra moisture from inside the cases and primer pockets. I can either reload soon, or put into storage.

Seems like extra work, but I think its worth it for rifle and magnum pistol loads when I want clean primer pockets. (I just vibratory tumble my regular higher volume pistol brass since they are loaded on progressives.)

Once out of the SST mix solution, they get a good hot water rinse from the sink and then toweled. I afreind here had the tip of putting them in a towel, roll the towel up loosely, then grab the ends of the towel and let the brass roll back and forth like a ship rolling in waves. Then I let sit for a while.

Gliden07
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Nu finish really does work wonders on the brass.

I will attest to that! I don't SS pin tumble. I use CC Media with a cap full or so of Nu Finish, a shot of odorless Mineral spirits and a used dryer sheet for dust. Works very good!

gunoil
02-24-2013, 09:30 AM
rinse with hot water really good. Mines in plastic box in closet. Your are using lemi-shine from walmart? If not may not work ever. I use teaspoon of dawn also and start with hot water. I do batches @ 800 rpm.