PDA

View Full Version : Loading the .45 ACP

greenrivers
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
The Lyman 49th Edition recomends three Lyman cast bullet moulds for use in the the 1911 and I happen to have the second. A 200gr SWC in PB. However it also recomends an OAL for this load as 1.235 (if memory serves me) which puts the crimp at the base of the lube grove. This does not seem right, but I am hesitant to seat deaper as it will increase pressure. I am using a starting load of 4.8 grn of Tite Group. Has anyone run into this? Is it a missprint? I had to leave the reloading bench before looking in any of my other loading manuals, so I though I would run it by some of you as this is my first attempt with the ACP. Thanks for your input.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-20-2013, 10:49 PM
200 GR. CAST LSWC Hodgdon Titegroup .451" 1.225" 4.8 877 13,400 CUP 5.4 957 16,800 CUP

This is from the winchester web site data

The 45acp is a low pressure round, You should have no problems

220swiftfn
02-21-2013, 03:47 AM
.452 SWC come in a few different flavors, as you've found out. The data that they have listed sounds like it's for something like a HG 68 clone which has a long nose. If you have something closer to a Lyman 452488 (google for a pic) the OAL will be closer to 1.135-1.140 (ish, I'm going by memory here....) But generally, there's the same amount of bullet (boolit) on the inside of the case.

Dan

knifemaker
02-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Your overall lenght will be determined by the 200 gr. bullet you use and what will be reliable in feeding in your gun. Also do not roll crimp the 45 acp cartidge as it headspaces on the case mouth. Use a taper crimp and adjust the crimp at the mouth for a dia. of .471 or .470 for reliable feeding.

greenrivers
02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. Appreciated.

DrCaveman
02-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Try the 'plunk' test in your disassembled barrel and compare it to the various 'headspace for 1911' graphics abound on the web. The back of the rim should fall flush with the barrel, and should fall back out when you invert the barrel.

If it doesnt fall flush, or if you have to whack to get it to fall back out, it's prob too long.

If it binds up on feed ramp when loading, its prob too short.

It should fall somewhere in the middle of that. Absolute OAL is not as important if you are running starting loads, as said before 45 acp is pretty low pressure. That said, make sure that either neck tension or taper crimp are solid, since you don't want those suckers accidentally jamming back in another 4 or 5 hundredths from hitting the feed ramp. I am just talking about a swing of maybe 1-2 hundredths.

greenrivers
02-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I ended up seating the bullets front drive band flush with the case mouth. This seems to feed fine individually from the clip. I have not had time to test them out yet, but seems to be good. The 4.8 grn. Tite Group loading also seems about right for this old GI issue with no undo recoil. I am hoping that the water quenched WW cast PB bullets will leave me with a nice clean bore. Thanks for the assist guys! Fortey years of reloading have taught me that asking questions can releave frustration and problems.

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
+1 on the plunk test and taper crimp. Too many H&G 68 clones out there to rely on any published OAL's. Another "rule of thumb" that has served me well is a thumbnail's width of driving band showing above the taper crimp. Put away the fancy calipers for this cartridge, the 45 is a fightin' round!

TXGunNut
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
If the Titegroup load doesn't work for you I can heartily recommend 5.5 231. Cycles my old warhorses with fairly heavy springs and is pleasant to shoot as well...with more accuracy that my 53 YO eyes can use to boot!

greenrivers
02-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Well after cleaning up the latest snow storm, I got a chance to try those new ACP loads today. Just a quick thanks for the help guys. No issues at all and a nice clean bore! I have not yet put them on paper, but the target of oportunity seemed to indicate a decent group. Once the warm weather and black flies get here, I'll fine tune the load. First love is still the single actions, but this old war horse is fun.